XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Program Key Fob Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Program Key Fob Help

Does anyone know the procedure to add a key fob to the car?
Thanks
Guy

Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Default RE: Program Key Fob Help

yep, go to dealer, buy keyfob, have it programmed to your car and bring all keyfob you already have. any left behind can go in the trash, theyll never work again, and theres NO BACK DOOR on smart keys....if thats what youre hoping for

Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 AM

Hummm...I was really looking for a way to avoid the dealer as I already have an extra fob to replace one that was lost. I have not had much luck with them from getting things taken care of including getting parts...I have been waiting for weeks for one of the aluminum keys that was in the lost fob...
I wonder ifthis a courtesy programming or a billing opportunity?

The following users liked this post:
breweb01 (08-17-2012)
Old 01-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

Out of curiosity, where did you get the replacement fob if not from the dealer? I'm asking because used fobs I've seen sold on e-bay haven't been divorced from their original instrument packs and if the divorce hasn't happened they wont work on any other car EVER.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

thats not the dealers fault on the key, that has to be ordered from jag and they cut those keys. And sinceJags in the UK.........

Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 AM

Fob was bought on ebay...guess I'll find out whether divorced or not. I find it hard to believe that jaguar has so clopped up their keys that you have to spend several hundred dollars just to get a replacement key and you have to get it from them (I have had several other jags). Forgive me while I rant and rave a little but I'm just not that impressed that in the XKR that I have and don't really see the value in alot of the design foilbles of it. I can almost understand the dealer being required to program it to avoid an unscupulus valet getting your key...but locking out a fob if not divorced is just a lame attempt at cornering the new fob market. This key boondoggle is just another instance of Jaguar taking my time and money.In all fairness maybe it is just the willingness of the industry as a whole to put it to all of us...guess we all payourmoney andtake our medicine...

Old 01-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think it's a market cornering attempt. I think it's a security issue with the keyless design. There are several manufacturers using this system(not sure if they're sourced from same vendor) now and they all require the old key to be divorced before it can be used on another vehicle. As long as the divorce/programming is done properly there's not a problem. The problem is that when the key is not divorced from the original instrument pack it was programmed to it becomes SCRAP and can never be programmed to another vehicle unless access to the original vehicle is possible to perform the divorce. If new keys were programmed to the car the fob came from the divorce can never be performed.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 AM

Well...I had 2 extra fobs (three total) that I took into dealer. Basically they said that the extra two were useless and that they would replace one of them under warranty (which I might add was them doing a good job as a dealer and made me happy...but I would beware that I have heard that not all dealers would be so helpful).
I would also suggest to check price before you get roped into a several hundred dollar boondoggle. From what I understand they cost several hundred dollars and then they add insult to injury for several hundred to program. Know yoru costs before you turn them loose.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:06 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwjohn123
These keys are expensive. $185 for the fob, $130 to program it, and anothe $184 for the key that opens the glove compartment and the trunk. My dealership hasn't treated me right, and luckily there is another dealership in town that I can go with.
Let me save you some $$. I might agree with the fob itself, but the small key that opens the door and trunk can be had for $11. It will be a cold day in hell before I spend $184 for this!

https://www.keylessentryremotefob.co...ki-7833614.htm

Take it to a locksmith and they should be able to duplicate the one in your current keyfob.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:35 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

If you have the JLR SDD software, you can program another FOB for your car but without it being "Divorced" as you say, it will not be recognized when placed in the cradle for emergency starts. You can clean a FOB if you use the JLR Doctor but for wanting to program one or two keys, the 3999 pound price tag is hard to justify.

Bottom line, you can use a purchased E-Bay FOB or buy a new one (This is what I prefer) and program yourself, then have the locksmith cut the emergency key. I have tried many different products and I found this the best method.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeaksa
Let me save you some $$. I might agree with the fob itself, but the small key that opens the door and trunk can be had for $11. It will be a cold day in hell before I spend $184 for this!

https://www.keylessentryremotefob.co...ki-7833614.htm

Take it to a locksmith and they should be able to duplicate the one in your current keyfob.
That link is to an incorrect valet key. I don't understand why you resurrected such an old thread when there are so many more recent threads.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ey-fob-211409/

Old 12-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
That link is to an incorrect valet key. I don't understand why you resurrected such an old thread when there are so many more recent threads.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ey-fob-211409/
Because it came up on the top of the search list and was a valid thread.

The following 2 users liked this post by Joeaksa:
MarkyUK (12-30-2018), Stuart S (12-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2023, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kkurulak
If you have the JLR SDD software, you can program another FOB for your car but without it being "Divorced" as you say, it will not be recognized when placed in the cradle for emergency starts. You can clean a FOB if you use the JLR Doctor but for wanting to program one or two keys, the 3999 pound price tag is hard to justify.

Bottom line, you can use a purchased E-Bay FOB or buy a new one (This is what I prefer) and program yourself, then have the locksmith cut the emergency key. I have tried many different products and I found this the best method.
I emailed JLR Software company and they say their software does not program keys, did you actually do this yourself or did you hear that it can be programmed with this software? And if so how did you do this? Thanks for any info

Old 04-03-2023, 02:25 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I emailed JLR Software company and they say their software does not program keys, did you actually do this yourself or did you hear that it can be programmed with this software? And if so how did you do this? Thanks for any info
Hi Martin S,

That was some time ago I posted that comment, I had to go back to my achieves for this. I indicated at the end of the comment that I could not justify purchasing the product (Software and OBDII module) for the amount of times I would use it. Back on November 29 2016 I was informed by responds from my inquirer to Simon Touch as to the full capabilities of the JLR Doctor and programming was of the forefront of its capabilities.

"Hello
IN USA we had a distributor but not anymore for now
we have in europe and other countries too .
JLR Doctor Range / Jaguar 2010 2015 Price 2500 euro
JLR Doctor Range / Jaguar 2010 2016 Price 3500 euro

Device has 2 functions, plug and play key programming without PC and JLR Doctor PC Version that have the below functions.
http://www.XXXXX

Shipping cost 60 euro with express courier.
We accept bank transfer or western union.
IN Lebanon paypal doesnt exist
Once you confirm your order, send me your details and how you prefer to pay to send you the invoice. "

My last communication was on January 8th 2018 when I was confirming the renewal abilities of the SRK Renewal Key Tool and they downgraded the tools abilities to the 433Mhz FOBs I found a physical IC replacement was a better alternative. At this time they still claimed that you can reset the older FOB with the PCF7953A - KR55WK49244 boards. I have no idea what they are up to now and their capabilities.

I also see this is your first post, I would recommend popping up to say "HI" and a bit about yourself before having a Mod remove the post.

Last edited by kkurulak; 04-03-2023 at 02:28 PM. Reason: seen first post
Old 04-03-2023, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

Martin S,

Welcome to the Forum. I noted from your Public Profile that this was your first post. In order to give you specific advice, we need more information.

We know that you're in Mexico, have a 2007 XK, and want to program a Smartkey yourself.

One quirk is that there were 2 different Smartkey fobs in 2007 - (1) single channel and (2) multichannel - and they're not interchangeable. For details and the VIN numbers, read this old thread and particularly Posts ## 16, 18, and 27:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ion%85-171095/

It appears that you have only one Smartkey that works and that you bought a used Smartkey that you want to program yourself. For that used Smartkey to work, it must be the same (single channel or multi channel) as your original Smartkey. How do you know? From your VIN. Odds are that your used Smartkey is multi channel because there are so many more of them.

Programming a used Smartkey requires the use of the proprietary Jaguar SDD (System Driven Diagnostics) software or a compatible aftermarket system. Those systems aren't cheap, so you're better off to find a local independent Jaguar technician or locksmith who has SDD and can do the programming.

The above is just my guess as to your problem. Please correct me if I'm mistaken and let us know the details of your problem.

Stuart

Old 04-03-2023, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Martin S,

Welcome to the Forum. I noted from your Public Profile that this was your first post. In order to give you specific advice, we need more information.

We know that you're in Mexico, have a 2007 XK, and want to program a Smartkey yourself.

One quirk is that there were 2 different Smartkey fobs in 2007 - (1) single channel and (2) multichannel - and they're not interchangeable. For details and the VIN numbers, read this old thread and particularly Posts ## 16, 18, and 27:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ion%85-171095/

It appears that you have only one Smartkey that works and that you bought a used Smartkey that you want to program yourself. For that used Smartkey to work, it must be the same (single channel or multi channel) as your original Smartkey. How do you know? From your VIN. Odds are that your used Smartkey is multi channel because there are so many more of them.

Programming a used Smartkey requires the use of the proprietary Jaguar SDD (System Driven Diagnostics) software or a compatible aftermarket system. Those systems aren't cheap, so you're better off to find a local independent Jaguar technician or locksmith who has SDD and can do the programming.

The above is just my guess as to your problem. Please correct me if I'm mistaken and let us know the details of your problem.

Stuart
First off I want to thank you for taking the time to respond....

Actually I bought a 2007 XK really cheap, so I thought but without any keys, all were lost so I have had 3 professional locksmiths trying to program new ones I bought from Ebay and have tried both the 313 and 433MHZ with no luck. tThey are not using DSS but a device brand name Autmel or something like that. Yesterday I noticed in the trunk (boot in England) the keylessentry / alarm antenna was disconnected and i reconnected it but still nothing. However after reconnecting only the 433MHZ was tried and no luck. I will have the locksmith try the 313 sometime tomorrow. Also a bit of info, when exiting the vehicle thru the driver door a message on the instrument cluster reads"Shifter not in park"not sure if this has something to do with it, I am connected to my Mercedes C-Class thru jumper cables to keep the voltage at 14.4 during programming and nothing. Can i remove the keyless module and program lthat way?

Thanks for any info

Last edited by GGG; 04-04-2023 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Add END QUOTE code and 'approve' post