Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Aftermarket In-Dash Receiver/nav units

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Aftermarket In-Dash Receiver/nav units

I have a 2003 Jaguar S-type. Has anyone had any experience with installing in-dash navigation/audio receiver units on the 2003+ model S-types?

Given the trim panels, it doesn't seem possible at the moment, but you never know unless you ask.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

u need fabricating. custom setups cost alot. sometimes $90 an hour plus the parts price

Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

pm 'd you
check your message box
Chad

Old 04-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This might help you get started........

http://www.installer.com/pdf/99-9500.pdf

Old 04-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for that information. That will be very helpful when I decide to install an aftermarket unit.

They appear to have done a great job.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

good luck finding a single din unit unless your going to do a custom job. If you tell me your roundabout location, i might be able to steer you to someone you can trust to work on the vehicle correctly.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little late but it can be done and very easily yourself.

Metra Electronics makes a dash kit 99-9500 (03jagstr linked you to) that works in the s-type. You can choose single or double din. The hard part is the wiring harness but you can get those from nexxia.co.uk

Here's a pic of the dash kit...

Old 06-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a nice project…hope I can do one using my old lexus parts and install it in my jaguar..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 06-22-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Aquill,

Can you use that kit for a double din application? I have that kit but it seems like you would need at least a trim ring, possibly more, and there is no real way to "mount" a double din radio in it. I think metra may make a double din specific kit, at least that will work for the S-Type. Getting a double din in the X type is almost impossible due to the heater box behind the dash. (unless you're willing to hack up the HVAC system to accomplish it) I'm really hoping the S-type doesn't have the same problem in the 03+ models.
(because I already got the pioneer Avic D3 to go in it)

This is the kit I'm talking about:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=13150

The grey color doesn't work in my S-type (I would have to paint the kit black, but at least the shape and mounting points seem right).

I already have a spare wiring harness ( I ordered 2 with my x-type).

Now Anyone have a spare antenna adapter stateside they'd sell me??

That would make life easy

Old 12-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Aquill,

Can you use that kit for a double din application? I have that kit but it seems like you would need at least a trim ring, possibly more, and there is no real way to "mount" a double din radio in it. I think metra may make a double din specific kit, at least that will work for the S-Type. Getting a double din in the X type is almost impossible due to the heater box behind the dash. (unless you're willing to hack up the HVAC system to accomplish it) I'm really hoping the S-type doesn't have the same problem in the 03+ models.
(because I already got the pioneer Avic D3 to go in it)

This is the kit I'm talking about:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=13150

The grey color doesn't work in my S-type (I would have to paint the kit black, but at least the shape and mounting points seem right).

I already have a spare wiring harness ( I ordered 2 with my x-type).

Now Anyone have a spare antenna adapter stateside they'd sell me??

That would make life easy
Hey androu, my understanding was all you had to do was cut that middle piece out to fit the double din. But metra now makes a double din kit just for your application. They even make a double din kit in silver and one in black so you don't have to paint it. I'm not sure on the prices though. Where do you live at, I can recommend where to go to order the dash kit.

Here are the links...

black one
silver one
silver single din like the one I photographed

As for the antenna adapter, try going to walmart and buying the antenna adapters they have, they have a kit that consists of two things which have like 4-5 different forms of antenna adapters. You may get lucky because I could have sworn that one of the adapters I had in that kit looked just like the one used in our jags.

Last edited by aquill1; 12-05-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added crap
Old 12-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

OMG you are a godsend!

Here's the nexxia kit / metra 99-9550 kit (single din in grey)

http://www.installer-parts.com/by_item.php?it=99-9500

I'll take pics to show you with my personal pieces, BUT once you cut that bar out, there is bascially NO way to secure the radio into place behind the dash, unless you fabricate something to attach the radio to the bracketry that holds the whole electronics stack, and just used the dash kit as basically a trim piece. with the two single din slots, the din cage slides into one of them, and provides a basis for support for the radio..

Now, Look at the double din kit that you linked me to:

http://www.installer-parts.com/by_item.php?it=99-9501b

You see how it has the brackets behind it to hold the radio to the fascia? Once you cut that bar the resulting hole is larger than 2 din on the first kit. I have it sitting on my desk, right now with a double din trim ring. I'll take a pic if you want to better understand it.

I actually just ordered the 99-9501b kit from that site. 34.85 shipped to my house from Texas.

I may reinforce the snap-together plastic with some JB weld or something along those lines before it all goes back together, but that was definitely the solution I was looking for.

Now I need to get a pac swi-ps (Jag to Pioneer hardwired steering wheel controller). And figure out a solution to the antenna adapter, and I'll be ready to install the unit. I think I tried one of those universal squid looking antenna adapters from wall mart in my X-type and it didn't really work. it sort of fit in but was loose. I can't remember to be honest.

Does anyone know for certain the S-type has the clearance in the dash for a double din without the HVAC getting in the way like it does in the X-type?

Thanks again,

George

Old 12-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

Did some more research, turns out there is an Antenna adapter available in the US.

It's made by metra, part 40-EU10. Basically a "mini euro" antenna connector to standard Motorola connection.

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=40-eu10

$12.50 there, but I bought it from ebay, $14.99 shipped.

I think I'm going to write a guide to swapping the radios in these cars. All the info is out there but mishmoshed.

Anyone have a service manual or electrical troubleshooting manual for the S-type. I have the one for the X-type if anyone needs it somewhere, and I think the radio wiring is the same, but It would be useful to have.

Take care,

More info to come...

George

Old 12-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think my S-Type has premium audio system. Can I use Metra kit and any 3rd party audio system?
Thanks!

-----
Also, any recommendation on dual-bin GPS/Video/Audio deck that fits '03 S-Type?
One more question, I guess I have to give up the controls on the steering wheel(?)

Last edited by ndy4eva; 12-29-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:38 AM

I purchased a Pioneer AVIC-U310BT head unit (from local shop for $399 cdn) and the mounting kit (99-9501b) from Installer.com. I hope it arravies soon. Can't wait to install it. hehe..

Old 01-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

the metra kit isnt technically released as of yet. it was just added to the system

Old 01-03-2010, 12:12 AM

Interesting..... Installer.com took my order and money. I should check with them next Monday.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

I ordered from them on Dec 6th. Spoke to him on the phone Dec 18th and he told me he hasn't gotten it yet, and will send it when he gets it. It will be one month tomorrow, and still nothing has arrived.

phd12v and I have had a couple discussions about the fact that the kit is not released yet, but both on his website, and the ones he's selling on ebay, he makes no mention of preorders, or limited availablity.

It's kind of frustrating because I've had my pioneer D3 and all the other bits to install it sitting in a box in my garage waiting for this thing to show up. And I had some time off over the holidays that would have made the install convienent.

Let me know if you hear anything.

George

Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by androulakis
I ordered from them on Dec 6th. Spoke to him on the phone Dec 18th and he told me he hasn't gotten it yet, and will send it when he gets it. It will be one month tomorrow, and still nothing has arrived.

phd12v and I have had a couple discussions about the fact that the kit is not released yet, but both on his website, and the ones he's selling on ebay, he makes no mention of preorders, or limited availablity.

It's kind of frustrating because I've had my pioneer D3 and all the other bits to install it sitting in a box in my garage waiting for this thing to show up. And I had some time off over the holidays that would have made the install convienent.

Let me know if you hear anything.

George
Oh, that's not good... Let me call them today and see what's happening to my order. I have a Pioneer AVIC-U310BT unit in the box as well, waiting to be installed on my wife's Jag.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:29 PM

Argh... no stock...

They received two pre-order items (which took two months, the order was in November), and shipping it out today. Maybe you (George) get one of them. I changed my order to two single DIN one (99-9500). The lady told me that they can ship it out today. I hope I can simply mount it with original side brakets in Jag. I should remove the headunit and see if I can mount it easily without any modification.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket In-Dash Receiver/nav units