Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

BT Module not conecting

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts
Default BT Streaming Module not conecting

I have been sooo stoked since I installed the BT box. Lately I have started to have connection issues it seems when outdoor temps are 39F or lower. I lost my garage to another project this year/winter. Yesterday overnight temps were about 20F. When I started the car it did not connect, heard voice over "Can not connect to BT unit" or close to that, from the BT unit. My phone showed the unit but could not connect. When I deleted it from my phone and searched for BT unit, it just kept searching, and could not find the BT unit.
Then I needed to drive to the dealer to get a new annual vehicle inspection. The car was in the heated garage for about 1/2 hour. When they pulled it out of the garage, the unit synced right up and played as usual all the way home.
Today temps all day were 38F, and no connectivity.
My Thoughts
The box itself, I believe is working as I get the voice over message.
Its not my phone as I tried with my wifes, same result
Phone is not left out in cold temps.
Dongle is located under rear shelf.
Could it be that the dongle has temp limitations?
Could the cold be causing condensation issues on the dongle?
I have NEVER had a single issue or blip from day one with this great BT unit.
Allthough the stock "rear entertainment" system sometimes doesnt like real hot cabin temps, until cooled down after closed up and parked. But we all know that anyway (SV8 owners)
I did notice that most of the users of the unit are in warm climates, so they wouldnt see this issue.
I'll try to pin point tomorrow, as temps will be 44F-47F.
Man, I forgot how much FM sucks. And I really need to be able to drown my wifes voice out when needed.
Any thoughts
Thanks
Mark (without tunes,going thru BT withdralls)

Last edited by Mark in Maine; 01-10-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:26 PM

Tried again today. No go. Temps 48F and raining. Phone could not find BT unit. Just got the same voice over from the module. Too much rain to pull the trunk panels, to check status light, and dongle connection.
???????

Old 01-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Does the box say "unable to connect to the Bluetooth adapter"?

Old 01-11-2016, 12:01 AM

yes

Old 01-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I would check for water condensation on the dongle or the USB cable. Other than that I can see nd you a new dongle.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:17 AM

Latest update
Todays temps were 33F, but really sunny.
The sun was shining on the rear tray, unit fired right up.
When the sun was not shining later in the day, temps were the same and no go.
Could it be that the contacts on the USB conection are contracting when cold? When the rear shelf is under radiant heat it works fine. Any ideas on this strange issue. Unless the dongle just doesnt like the cold, and heated by the sun under the rear shelf.
I'll try to open the trunk panels open weds, as I'm getting snow tues. Then I'll try the following:

1) dongle cold into long cord.
2) dongle cold, plugged directly into short cord.
3) dongle warm plugged into short cord.
4) dongle warm into long cord.
This way maybe I'll isolate dongle, cord, and USB connection contacts. I will leave the long cord cold durring this. If the dongle works cold on the short cord, it would point to the long cord connetions vs dongle.
I'll let you know.
If it turns out to be a temp issue, this would not have shown up on the BETA tests, as they were all done I believe in the summer and in the south.

Last edited by Mark in Maine; 01-12-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:52 PM

All is well again !!! Veffremov sent me a new dongle, that fixed the first issue. Then I ran into another issue. The unit and my NEW Ipod could not find each other. Veffremov sent me a link for a firmware update. This update allows me to delete prior devices. Prior to the update the BT unit would only allow 3 devices, and not look for anything after that. I found this out as the BT unit would work with my older Ipod, my sons Ipod, and my wifes phone. Thats 3 that were previously used in the car. At first I thought that my new Ipod was not compatible, but Veffremov put me at ease and hooked me up again as usual.
I love this unit and the support from veffremov is second to none!!!!

From Venelin:

Thanks to a device provided by a fellow user I have discovered an issue with the device software. When more than 3 phones are registered (paired) with the device, it may experience issues connecting to the near by phone. Unfortunately there is no way to un-register a phone from the device, so gradually you will hit this limit.

I posted a firmware update V3.1 on http://firmware.iqury.us/ it adds a feature where you can erase all, but the currently connected phone from the device. To perform this procedure type code 534 while switched to the CD-changer device.

Just a reminder the way you enter this code if you have navigation system is by pressing the disk corresponding to the code digit. If you have basic audio system, use the keypad on the right side.

Firmware update instructions:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

"The V3.2 fixes a bug with the latest iOS getting stuck when you hit next. v3.1 added the code 534 to clear the list of devices. V3.0 fixed an issue with some oddball phones like BlackBerry or Nokia 635."

~Venelin