Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

NEW Resident Audio expert *** PHD12volt ***

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Exclamation NEW Resident Audio expert *** PHD12volt ***

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi guys, you may have noticed we are blessed with a "Resident detailer" in the detailing section recently?
This offers many opportunities for Q&A sessions, latest detailing techniques, posts c/w pics etc etc and can benefit ALL.

I'd like to try and find our own "Resident Audio expert" for this section for the same reasons. Someone obviously with Excellnet Audio knowledge and skills so we can pick their brain and admire their work, possibly giving us some ideas for our own projects.

I know we have phd12volt ( Jason from Pimp my ride ) here on site, although I'm guessing he would be way too busy to be able to offer his services.
If anyone with the same type of qualifications / pedigree can step up I'd love to hear about it
Hopefully we can really get this section moving.........

Old 02-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I would be happy to help out in this section, if you need me to step up i can. Also you might want to maybe add SECURITY and remote starting issues to this section too. As my 20 years + of background has been specializing in sound quality installation and alarm/remote starts. I can at least give some ideas and tips to make peoples lives a little easier, or point them to shops that i am connected with throughout the u.s.

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (10-23-2011)
Old 02-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 256

Wow...thats fantastic phd12volt.....don't think we could really ask for much more. Your pedigree / history and high profile all speak for themselves and we'd be happy for you to take "residency" of this section
If you can add alarms / security etc and help people out by pointing them in the right direction with answers and or to local reputable sources, all well n good.
There is also the possibility that any member interested in the vicinity may put work your way too - everyone wins.

If you have any posts that you feel are worthy of FAQdom and or anything that may be helpful to be made sticky please let me know. If there is anything else I can do to help us to move forward with this section, again, please let me know.

Many thanks Jason

Old 02-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Jason, awesome that you've stepped up to the plate.

One quick thing I'd like to add is that car audio is very much a "as you wish" kind of hobby. I've been doing it as a hobby for 15+ years and I don't know of a more hotly debated topic than car audio. People will tell you that X brand sucks, Y brand is great, Z brand has won in competitions. None of that should matter to the user. In other audio forums that I am a member of, there is a growing philosophy that "best" should never be applied to choices in audio gear, or choices in installation technique. "Best" is purely subjective, and it's only up to the owner of the gear to decide what's "best".

Food for thought.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

werd, ^ so true.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Look i fought that fight MANY (way too many actually) times to care anymore..... ive learned that sometimes people only hear what they WANT TO HEAR, so usually i stay out of the "whats best?" posts... simply put, what sounds good to me, may sound like crap to you....installation and proper tuning mean more than equiptment in my eyes....i take make a radio shack system sound good, given the correct installation and tuning parameters. then i could turn around and take any high end speaker system and make it sound horrid......its all in the process of the tuning, system setup, and installation.

ANYONE can swap a speaker out, or replace a headunit......the difference is being able to decipher the specs related to the system and having the knowledge and experience to know what will happen, BEFORE installing it.

I happen to have had alot of training in speaker design and building, and also being trained by some very strong sound quality competitors and judges. WHILE IT IS STILL OBJECTIVE, it lays a good foundation for future installs.

Granted my main background is wiring and integration of said wiring, and moderate to full custom jobs, my heart is really with wiring and troubleshooting of electrical systems.

With that said, we all must understand that when people read forums, they may not get what we are saying, and cannot feel our emotion sometimes.

Audio is tricky, and security/remote starts either work or dont work. There are multitude of ways to design an audio system, i usually opt for the best performance/cost ratio. Just because i have used hybrid tube amps in the past, or self designed 6" speakers capable of maintaining 500 watts of true rms power, doesnt mean it is for everyone. Yeah i used horn loaded compression drivers in my own competition vehicle, and alot of people couldnt tell......although everyone online said HLCD cars sound like poop....yet these very same people upon hearing my car were blown away and didnt realize it was a HLCD vehicle......so there you go about people and their ideas and thoughts.....anyway, i am in the process of getting some links together to give more peopl some insight as to how my and other installers minds work.... :-)

Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 228

As with anything, brakes, tyres, upgrades in general everyones opinions about whats HOT and whats not will vary, as we are all different, thats just life.
As for car audio? I'm the wrong one to ask thats for sure....lol

Thanks phd12volt.....lookin forward to seeing what you come up with and any Q&A sessions that appear.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jason, I have a unit with built in Steering Wheel Control. Two wire's (black & white) for SWC. I used a harness I got from Crutchfield but can't figure out where to connect the SWC wires to get my Steering Wheel Control integrated. Help...
Thanks in advance.
BTW - I got xtype 02 Sport premium - 3.0.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

pac audio website has manual specifics to every make and model car

Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Parrot/IPhone So many ideas

Hello all for the help, I am new to the forums and new to the new x type jag.
I am waiting for the Jag dealer to call me to bring the car over and have a parrot installed for phone capability. Ummm now that I have read some posts regarding phones and other audio issues. so am I to understand that there is a module or something that can be installed so I can use my iphone music? What should I ask them for?
Loving this education

Old 10-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Default Wiring for PAC SWI-PS

Hi

I bought an X-type 2002 recently and installed a Sony front loader to it. I also had a PAC SWI-PS delivered to my, but I cant get it to work or be programmed. First I tried it om the specified wire on pin 19, light blue (as stated in instruction booklet), then tried it on all other wires not used, stil will not be programmed to work at all. Now I left it out and work the radio from the unit itself without the steering controls and it works fine.

Any one who tried that before and had it working - how did you do it?

Thanks
Wiekus

Old 10-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello.
I have a Panasonic CQ-VD6503U installed on my 2000 s-type and lately when I accelerate, the sound goes out on the inside speakers. It does that more often when i am above 30 mph. I also have a subwoofer in the trunk and that seems to work fine, the sound doesn't cut on the subwoofer only the inside speakers. I went to the guy who did my wiring and he told me there is smth wrong with the head unit itself, which I highly doubt it. I forgot to mention that my alternator fried a week after this problem started. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Default No sound from rear speakers

Dear Dr. PHD12v:

Can you diagnose why the rear speakers on an Alpine audio system are not operable? I run the fader control to 100% rear and no sound whatsoever...not a peep.

My guess is the amplifier is Foxtrot Uniform, but wondering if there is some simpler, (un)reasonable explanation like...

...some bizarre fuse has blown
...wire harness is loose
...hydraulic oil from the convertible top pump has leaked into a compromising location (Jaguar engineering discussion circa 1996: "Where should we put the hydraulic pump for the top? I know, let's put it right above the amplifier and CD changer. What could go wrong?")

Old 09-03-2014, 12:53 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Has anyone hear from PHD12Volt recently?

If you are still out there, I'd like to know your opinion on finding bass:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...d-bass-123601/

Old 09-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Jason hasn't been on the forum for nearly 2 years since he sold his car.