Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer

Old 06-22-2008, 02:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts
Default XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer

Yet another audio project in my pursuit of the loud and accurate stereo system in this XK8. I now have successfully removed any factory influence in the radio, and my NAV system, as a casualty of war. No speakers, no amplifier, no changer of Jag origin works in the car.

In an effort not to re-direct you to a previous thread in which I did alot of improvements speaker-wise, I will simply restate everything that I now have in this car. Sometimes, looking at the list, I can't believe I actually did all of it in the first place.

Deck: JVC ADV49 - with DVD playback, 160 GB portable hard drive, HD Radio tuner, and PAC steering wheel controls; video out to the original screen

Navigation: Garmin GVN 53, via NavTV box onto the original screen

Signal Processor: Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate 450.4 (100x4) and JL Audio 500/1v2 mono

Speakers: Front - Polk Audio Momo 6.3/4" components Rear (where the 6.5 subs used to be) - Polk Audio Momo 5.25" components

Subwoofer: JL Audio 10w6v2

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

I initially wanted to keep the origina Jag navigation system operational with the new deck, and I had the wiring diagram with the audio wiring, video wiring, and the speed sensor wire. The only thing the audio shop had to track down was the power wiring leading from the deck to the navigation module in the trunk. They claimed they could not keep the navigation system working when the wires were unplugged from the deck. I think it could be done, but I wasn't about to disagree while they had my car in a thousand pieces. Instead, they talked me into the aftermarket Garmin system which could be integrated into any system as long as there was a screen to connect it to. The NavTV box took the video signals from the Garmin, and the video output signals from the deck, and simply switched between the two to display on the OEM screen.

Here are some pics of the deck in the control area, notice how the deck is recessed into the faceplate; i specifically asked for this, otherwise, this particular model would be sticking 1/2" from the surface. I think this keeps it looking very clean. The deck has several tilt settings, so being mounted low was no problem at all. The color of the buttons are actually blue, but at least when the 'chameleon' functions of this particular deck is on, you can't see anything but the power indicator and the screen. Had to go with green on the background, although there are other colors and patterns to choose from.

I had a three way switch (On-On-On) installed on the lower left of the steering column, in the blank location next to the valet switch.

This switch activates the different inputs of the NavTV box, and allows me to either turn it off to keep the Jag clock -

or the video output of the deck, either in DVD disc, MP3 disc, or even displays the directorys and album art of my portable hard drive

or the new Garmin navigation unit. The old nav controls on the dash do not work, but they still illuminate with the interior lights. The new nav system operates entirely from a remote control, and did not have to be tied into the wheel speed sensor (VSS) wire of the car. It was connected to the deck's tele-mute, and works perfectly when the lady tells me where to go. Sadly, the Garmin voice is not as nice as the original Jag voice. That, I will miss.

-----------
EDITED below to show the new Nexxia faceplate, and the bezel from jaguar - a part for an older XJ. Our auxiliary row of buttons fits this perfectly.
-----------

I asked that the rear seats not be totally compromised to add a new subwoofer enclosure. I was willing to lose the area behind my seat, but I wanted to keep the passenger side available for my big lab-mix dog, my neice, or laptop case/planner when I bring it in the car. As such, they built a fiberglass enclosure around the new JL Audio sub (which only needed 0.625 ft^3 miminum, and they got me mabye 0.75 ft^3) and wrapped it with vinyl to match the dove grey as best as possible. EDIT 6/8/11 -- Subwoofer enclosure revised!!

-------------
EDITED to show my final subwoofer solution; thread can be found here with much greater detail
-------------

Summary
Well, after this particular project, I think I am as close to getting a superior sounding system as I can with the acoustics of this car. It is loud, it sounds great (and I am continually improving on the adjustments to the 31 EQ settings to the F/R and of course, the bass EQ and output levels). I currently am tracking down an alternator whine in one of components, or RCAs, so that is taking me some time... but I pledge to find it in due time.

I learned a ton about the electronics in this car in doing this, and the previous projects. Do's, don'ts (like don't mess with the foam in the rear seats), and where to draw the line, if there is one. If anybody has any questions, please feel free to drop me an email or PM.

After installing all of these components in the boot, the JL Audio amp showed it's wires (c'mon guys, even Rockford Fosgate has a plate to cover all of the connections!!), so the audio guys built me a 'cover' to hide all of these pieces. Not bad looking actually.

Last edited by H20boy; 01-08-2012 at 01:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by H20boy:
Crispy (07-29-2011), Cyclone1969 (10-18-2012), N8mobiles (12-12-2012)
Old 07-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Veteran member
Default RE: XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer

Not a single comment, everyone must not have a subscription to this area.

Looking back at these pics, I really hate the J A G U A R stickers... off they come!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great install and well thought of. You have managed to keeping it all looking as 'standard' as possible

I was going to get that same headunit for my XJR but the screen was too small; lucky that you have the dash screen, it seems to complement the headunit very well.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Veteran member

Thanks sh500! I tried to keep it low-key. In addition to selecting this head unit for its chameleon controls, I really like the fact that there are no other dials, buttons or all those pesky logos to look at - CD/DVD, Dobly, DTS, MP3, Bluetooth, HD, SAT ready, and on & on. They are on the top, inset with the faceplate so you can see them only if you really look. My sister borrowed my car for a quick trip to the store and had to call me to ask me how to adjust the volume!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Veteran member

I appreciate the compliment!

Originally Posted by Jayhawkone
H20Boy: I've been admiring your deck and nav replacement for almost a year and have almost worked up enough nerve to try and duplicate it, at least the Garmin and JVC units. I have a 2002 XKR convertible and haven't been able to find a harness anywhere, so I guess I'm going to have to start splicing. When you installed the Garmin and Nav TV, did you splice in by the existing dvd drive and use the existing gps antenna? I have the wiring diagram but am a little scared about making that first cut!
BTW, if you can, get the new AVX77 unit that came out this month from JVC. It improves on my unit by having the full screen with GUI custom button controls, custom wallpaper option, the volume is now button activated, not rotated w/ your finger, and it comes with a wired mic... as the builtin one is too low for our cars to work at highway speeds. A sweet deck that will soon be replacing this one.

The Garmin GVN53 comes with its own antennae, it runs up and sits in the upper corner of the dash, about the size of a 50cent piece.

Originally Posted by Jayhawkone
The trim around the JVC unit is fantastic! Is that a custom creation? Where did you find the "on-on-on" switch; I have only found 2-way switches so far. Finally, you wouldn't happen to still have the model number for the Nav TV unit? I have been on their website, but nothing seems similar to this installation.
The trim around the JVC is a custom build. If it wasnt there, it would look like the deck sits about 1/2 out from the faceplate...so I asked for the recessed look, then this just fits around the radio...separate from the rest. If you get that far, and the shop/you can't make it, i can ask my shop here to recreate another one for you. (if it comes to that)

The on-on-on switch can be purchased from Mouser electronics, here in Ft Worth. Its like a $2 item. Let me know if you need one, I know people that work there.

The NAVtv box is a basic unit, no separate model number. It should be a standard order. you're right, not alot of info on it in the manufacturers website. Its that simple of a unit. The shop spliced into the RGB wiring leading to the NAV display, so I don't know how easy it would be to screw that up permenantly?

Its a big project, but very cool once completed. If you start it, good luck!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

very nice. very nice indeed.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

nice setup !

Old 01-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Veteran member

thanks guys

Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi, I have read both series threads with interest. I know nothing about car audio, but it looks like a great setup.

The only thing I am not sure about is the aesthetic look of that big subwoofer sitting on the back seat.

Hope you don't mind, but, I don't know, for me it is not quite right. Everything else has been very discreet, working away hidden in the background, and then bam.

Sort of R2D2 landed here.

Could you not have built something into the rear seat back between the headrests? Granted you would have also needed to do some re-upholstery.

This comment is meant a constructive criticism and is in no way a slap, heck I have just got past the old 8track (and my daughter once asked me what were those big black Cd's I keep playing?)

Cheers,

Old 01-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it has to do with the rear seat being useless, and the trunk space being needed. Tucked behind the drivers seat its hardly noticeable to the driver, and looking at it from a level surface youd hardly tell it was there.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Veteran member

you guys crack me up, yes I tried several times before getting this fiberglass box wrapped in vinyl, trust me, I wish it were differently shaped also.

My first attempt at adequate bass was the trunk mounted sub... no luck with the gas tank and all that sound deadening material behind the back seat. I put two 8" subs INside the back seat center-back area, in it's own box, but it didn't sound that good and all I did was waste hundreds of dollars in a guys time and materials, not to mention I had to find another rear seat to replace all that foam I had dug out for this small box. I settled on this, granted it doesn't perfectly match the interior color, but from the side or head on, it doesn't appear like a A/C unit sitting in the back seat. I needed 1/2 of my rear seat to carry my dog, so I couldn't remove the whole bottom and back for a total custom job, thought it has been entering my mind as a possible project for the future.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
I needed 1/2 of my rear seat to carry my dog, so I couldn't remove the whole bottom and back for a total custom job, thought it has been entering my mind as a possible project for the future.
Solution: Fit a tow hitch, then you can transport your dog in the luxury of its own customized trailer, whilst at the same time freeing up the unused rear seat space for a complete audio experience. LOL

Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very, very cool
I was asking at all workshops for a year by now and everyone kept telling me this screen had to go out if I wanted to change the original system..but I was pretty much decided as my dealer told me they dont provide navigation DVDs and I had to buy online from Navteq. On the page was: "MY2007 and on, preivous years consult dealer", so I did and they told me its fine, 300 euros spared and then it comes and of course I have a disc error message..so when the dealer told me that they are not covering it for me I was ready to strip that thing out.. and the maps are bad anyways..
I once had a JVC KDH909 or something like that (top of the line at the moment) and the sound was awful, do you know if some other head-unit could be used with the NavTv box? Untill I saw your post I was thinking of rebuilding the center console and fitting an Eclipse media station, this installation although something expensive at least would have a really decent sound...Becker is also great, but it seems they cut the production gradually and then it has no connection options...
Also, I would like it to support at least 500Gb, did your hear of something up to it?
Anyway huge thanks for your post man and I am certainly going your way as soon as I clear for me which components can be fitted!
Cheers

Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

do you know if some other head-unit could be used with the NavTv box?
Any head unit can be used, it simply takes the RCA video out and goes into the NavTV box...which converts it over to RGB output.

I'd get some new amplifier(s), as that always helps sound quality in these installs.

I'm sure any small, portable hard drive will work on mine, but I haven't used up 1/2 of my space yet, however, on some decks it doesn't. My brother in law has a deck with USB, and my little hard drive doesn't work on his. So, when I went researching prior to purchase and install, another forum confirmed the JVC units (mine and the new AVX-77) did power and access thru JUST the USB port, so went that direction.

Good luck, and document your project if you can...post up in a new thread, and I'll add your trials and tribulations to our FAQ list for audio upgrades.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 PM

the thing with them drives is that they should by formatted in fat32, can you confirm your format?it may be the cause of not recognising the HDD, but usually it is just complex folder structure that does not let you connect a hard. Eclipse I like for instance will only control 3000 files, in MP3 that would be 30gb, but if you listen to mixes that would be 500gb..

Old 03-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Veteran member

Well, all I know is I have hundreds of folders, and over 1400 files...so maybe I haven't hit my limit. Not sure of the format structure, but I can check that for you.

All I know, is that it works in my car, but not my bro-in-laws. I think his was designed for those thumb drives, and didn't give enough power thru the USB to 'spin' the hard drive.

On the JVC, you can shuffle either the folder you're in, or the entire USB (entire drive). I just copy and paste to the hard drive, made Artist folders, and also a few 'favorites' which isn't a playlist, but re-copied MP3 files into these folders.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Unhappy no shipment for Europe

just when I got euphoric and tried to order from NavTV their site informed me there is no shipment for Europe, Spain in concrete.
I also couldn't find the dash faceplate on the web, could your shop send it out to me against wire transfer or something?
I can't but admit that your head-unit installation looks extremely clean and stylish, no buttons, no silly colours..so I am considering the AVX77 right now, the pre-amp is 5 volts so it is rather promising..
and why did you go with this particular Garmin, did you consider any other options?

Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 AM

NavTV problem sorted out, they contacted me!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Veteran member

Ask your installer to 'recess' the deck into the custom mount they have to make, that way, when you get your faceplate made, it'll be flush. I can take pics of the setup for you, and post it up here. You print it out, or show your installer what you want it to look like, and maybe save you from having to get it over here. Its just wood.

The hard part is matching the color, texture and sheen. If you can't get that worked out with him...definitely send it to me and I'll use my mix of paint for you.

As for the Garmin GVN53, as far as I know, its the only standalone aftermarket add-on NAV unit that just needed a screen and an amp.

Check out Kenwoods Portal system, and there's other manufacturers now getting into factory integration using our screens for viewing, you may find another option you like better.

You could even replace your screen with this unit if you go Kenwood.

Last edited by H20boy; 03-03-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer