Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

That is exactly what the Nav TV box does, it intercepts the existing RGB leads, then outputs back into the very same wiring, and it switches inputs as needed.

I paid over $450 for the NavTV box a couple years ago, and there are more options out there now, thank goodness. Since my NavTV box recently died on me, I'm exploring another option, especially if the manufacturer won't warranty the repair. I found this unit to be much better in its specs, in that it has contrast, hue, and tint adjustments in addition to the brightness, which is what the Nav TV only had. I am hoping the signal sync is a bit better also. Look thru that page, there is a step-by-step instructional page on how to install it yourself. I may do my own install also.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice I really like the setup

Old 09-03-2010, 04:24 PM

Looks absolutely fantastic. I took my 02 XKR into our local sound install shop who does great work. They originally showed me an Alpine system with a huge dial. Just did not have the Jag look. The JVC deck just fits in aesthetically and functionally. Have now ordered the Garmin nav system and proceeding with the install. Will update once complete.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Veteran member

thanks jagortho for the compliment! You need to do a little planning ahead to get the faceplate to be flush, but there's just enough room to do it. good luck, looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:06 AM

great minds, my friend. i didn't recess mine, though and it is the later audio model. i'm going to take out the 3 dials above and install a top-range satnamp3/radio/bluetooth combo and maybe blank off the original radio area. i love the jags but they look so dated inside. any suggestions as to interior colour redesign schemes? the next one will be red and black but i am open to ideas. http://www.flickr.com/photos/crab_town_community_freetown_sierra_leone/sets/72157623842620053/
i don't fully get these forums' threads but i'm at doctordaveroberts@yahoo.com

you're the only other person who's changed the radio like this

Old 09-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Default me too

great minds, my friend. i didn't recess mine, though and it is the later audio model. i'm going to take out the 3 dials above and install a top-range satnamp3/radio/bluetooth combo and maybe blank off the original radio area. i love the jags but they look so dated inside. any suggestions as to interior colour redesign schemes? the next one will be red and black but i am open to ideas. http://www.flickr.com/photos/crab_town_community_freetown_sierra_leone/sets/72157623842620053/
i don't fully get these forums' threads but i'm at doctordaveroberts@yahoo.com

you're the only other person i've seen who's changed the radio like this

Old 09-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

wow, you're deck install looks great! I don't know about the loss of wood, as I started another thread about 'where has all the wood gone', I could not take on such a bold change on the dash. Pooch seems to like it. Blue, just love that color. Only thing I wish I could change on my car would be to that sapphire color.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:12 AM

yes, i think you either like it or hate it. someone said it was rather 'aston martin 1970s', which sounds fine to me, especially since if i'm honest, i'd rather have a DB9 but the minor matter of outrageous cost prevents. who's 'pooch'? and everyone loves the blue, it has to be said. the secretaries at work always comment on it.

have a great day!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

What a great thread and a fantastic looking install - that really is a Premium Audio system. Just a shame the Garmin GVN 53 doesn't play MP3/4s as it would be the perfect replacement for the hopeless Alpine sat nav unit currently in my car.

I also see from the specs that the Garmin can output RGB directly, so presumably no need for a composite video to RGB conversion box to make it work with the Jag screen.

I think I now have my winter project sorted out.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Veteran member

thanks dibbit. At least the Garmin GVN can do satellite radio. Getting digital music into this older alpine system is not done simply or inexpensively.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
Getting digital music into this older alpine system is not done simply or inexpensively.
Can the changes be done in the boot/trunk of the car at the CD changer/SAT nav unit end? Do you know if the CD changer has straightforward audio left/right outs on it?

Name:  cdchangerwirecolours.png
Views: 1218
Size:  12.9 KB

I am sure the answer is on this forum and I am going through every relevant thread I can find at the moment.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

dibbit, sorry did not see your post from 10/3. I have no idea if the CD leads can be tapped...other car models, I hear it can easily be done as a intermittent part. But on the jags, I think the alpine AI-net protocols do not allow it. I am not an expert on that, but in my research, have found no aftermarket companies offering it...which if it were possilbe, I would have found at least one that does it.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Now THIS is what I would call a sympathetic upgrade!!! It makes me rethink the "no factory nav" requirement of my search.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Veteran member

Thanks air! If you're ever in the Ft Worth area, shoot me an email. I wouldn't mind showing it to you.

Don't let the outdated nav system turn you off a particular car, its really a good screen, movies look pretty good on the 7 year old LCD. Just need to spend maybe 7-800 for the nav replacement...audio system change is of course - more.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
dibbit, sorry did not see your post from 10/3. I have no idea if the CD leads can be tapped...other car models, I hear it can easily be done as a intermittent part. But on the jags, I think the alpine AI-net protocols do not allow it. I am not an expert on that, but in my research, have found no aftermarket companies offering it...which if it were possilbe, I would have found at least one that does it.
Thanks for your reply. After trawling through the forum, I am pretty certain I have found the information I need on this. Now that the days are short and the nights are long, the wire cutters will be coming out and I will find out if the information is correct (fingers crossed)

Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 PM

This is an amazing thread, and you gave a lot of people great hope with it!!!

I had a customer come in today, with this thread printed out. lol

I'm sure you're aware, but the GVN53 does put out an RGB signal, but the harness isn't pinned for it. I'm actually going to pin the GVN53 for this customer, and eliminate the RGB/COMP box.

My question is this...........Does your GVN53 play through your JVC radio? Or does it have an external speaker?

If it does play through the JVC, does it switch the radio over to AUX mode to transmit the sound, or does it just MUTE whatever source is playing, kind of like it's in Telephone mode??

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-13-2010, 01:59 AM
Veteran member

Thanks carteks, in Valparaiso IN, I presume? (I went to logansport high school and Tri-state Univ in Angola)

Regarding your question, I did not use the supplied speaker that came with the GVN, though it would be simple enough to either tie in that amplified speaker output to the monotone speaker in the back of the armrest, under that little vinyl flap almost in the backseat. That is the speaker for the backup sensors and could serve as both. If the quality blows, just replace it with the Garmin speaker, the beeping reverse tones shouldn't mind.

My RCA outputs are routed thru the signal processor, mixes to all channels and therefore I get navigation direction in concert. You could try to tap into the car's amplifier inputs directly, and get the auto-mute to work thru the deck (the jag deck has the mute, as well as the JVC I use, and currently operate as such), you can do that also. I'm just not sure which leads you go into, maybe split the single L&R lead from the GVN into two signals, then tap into the L&R for the front channels? You probably have a better idea on how to do it than I do, but the possibilities are there to integrate it.

Good luck, let us know how it comes out. I'll help if I can.

You do have to change the Muting option on the JVC to 1 to get the Garmin to initiate the mute, I do know that.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:12 AM
Veteran member

Forgot to mention your direct pinning of the GVN to the nav screen. If they don't want the screen on, can they still turn it off with the dash nav on/off button?

Also, I had some initial problems with the screen not being bright enough during the day. The GVN does not have any controls for illuminance (though plenty for screen adjustments like sync, refresh, micro-adjustment in X and Y directions). The NavTV box at least gave me brightness control, which when I found it, had it cranked up all the way for best daytime viewing. Night-time, in the night mode, it still is the perfect intensity. Remember, the car's dimmer switch also controls either a fully bright screen or totally dimmed when the headlights are on. There is no middle ground like the dash or other interior lights - just high and low. I keep it in the 'no dimmer' setting, bright all the time. If the GVN screen isn't bright enough, not sure what to do there to increase it.

I did find the NavTV box for $250 online, if you ever need a source.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice clean looking too looks factory

Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

thanks grag, glad you found my old thread a good look/read

Quick Reply: XK8 Deck Replacement, NAV & New Subwoofer