Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

XKR Speakers upgrade Under $500

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile XKR Speakers upgrade Under $500

Decided to upgrade the sound system in my 2000 XKR that had the original premium Alpine Stereo that is rated over 300 watt.Others have replaced the head unit and or amps but I wanted to start with the speakers and then if I wanted to make more improvements I could to them in the future.
The items I used were the following:
1-set of the Polk DB6501 for the doors and tweeter in the dash $200.
2-6W3V3-4 JL subwoofer for rear speakers $280.
Others went with the MM6501 Polks which are 2.7 ohm and the DB's are 4 ohm I went with 4 ohm which is the spec for the Alpine amp.
I got the info for removing the door trim from this link;
http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24986
Before I the put in the new speakers I put Dynamat on the doors which made a big improvement.I was able to mount the 6.5" speaker with all 4 screws into the original mounting plate.

Attached Thumbnails XKR Speakers upgrade Under 0-6w3v3-4.jpg   XKR Speakers upgrade Under 0-db6501.jpg   XKR Speakers upgrade Under 0-jaguar-alpine-ipod-speaker-019.jpg   XKR Speakers upgrade Under 0-jaguar-alpine-ipod-speaker-024.jpg  

Last edited by eaglexkr; 08-10-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: edit
The following 2 users liked this post by eaglexkr:
Jag Pilot (08-10-2014), JeffereyGreen (05-02-2011)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Smile

The factory tweeter in the dash were removed and I took out the screw that was there and used it to mount the new tweeter base.I had to modify the grill with the dremel on one of its feet that was hitting the tweeter.I left the original tweeters in the doors.

I put in the crossover but it didn't add any improvement so I took it back out and spliced the wires back together.Matt (h2o boy) mentioned in one of his thread that his stereo installers never found one,well my guy told me the reason way,the cross over funtions are in the amp,so when I went to the head unit I could set the bass or treble from there,who would have guessed.
I have had the new speakers in for a week and they sound great even before they are completely broken in.I didn't know that the system could sound this good.I think I will hold off on a new amp and head unit.
The rear sub woofers were easy I got the removal info from JTIS,the speakers were a direct fit,I also covered the enclosure with Dynamat.
If you need to get at the speaker wires,they are located in the yellow connector in the console.
Its not a bad project,did it in less that 6 hours with beverage breaks.

Attached Thumbnails XKR Speakers upgrade Under 0-jaguar-alpine-ipod-speaker-022.jpg   XKR Speakers upgrade Under 0-jaguar-alpine-ipod-speaker-018.jpg  

Last edited by eaglexkr; 08-10-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Nice job eagle, I do recommend those new JL Audio 6.5inch subs as direct replacements. Did you reinforce the enclosure at all?

I am really glad you like the DB series by Polk Audio, and I did try those at first too. In my Jeep I had the MMC (MOMO then) series in it, but paid a small premium for it. I thought, hey..give the DB series a try, and after the MMCs, this was disappointing, so I sprung for what I thought was much better, in all frequencies. I picked up the MMCs from Ebay, new from a seller for around $175. Just in case you feel something lacking...give em a shot.

And, you left the little supertweet in the door? Hmmm, I suppose some of the highs then are directed away from the Polk Audio tweeter you just installed and goes to the Alpine. I would be curious to hear how that sounds.

Now, let the 'tweaking' begin! Old favorite tunes never sounded so good.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Question

Originally Posted by h20boy
Nice job eagle, I do recommend those new JL Audio 6.5inch subs as direct replacements. Did you reinforce the enclosure at all?

I am really glad you like the DB series by Polk Audio, and I did try those at first too. In my Jeep I had the MMC (MOMO then) series in it, but paid a small premium for it. I thought, hey..give the DB series a try, and after the MMCs, this was disappointing, so I sprung for what I thought was much better, in all frequencies. I picked up the MMCs from Ebay, new from a seller for around $175. Just in case you feel something lacking...give em a shot.

And, you left the little supertweet in the door? Hmmm, I suppose some of the highs then are directed away from the Polk Audio tweeter you just installed and goes to the Alpine. I would be curious to hear how that sounds.

Now, let the 'tweaking' begin! Old favorite tunes never sounded so good.
Matt,
I did reinforce the rear speaker enclosure based on what you had done,I used MDF board and mounted it to the front of the factory enclosure and painted it black.
The door tweeter does not overpower the dash unit they seem to work well together,so far so good.I was thinking of moving the old tweeters to the back rear speakers in the space above the subwoofer and used the crossover units I didn.t use for the door speaker and dash tweeter,any thoughts?

Last edited by eaglexkr; 08-12-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: edit
Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I just ordered a pair of the Polk DB6501 speakers off of E-bay for $118 shipped! I went with a pair of Kicker CVT65 2 ohm speakers for $125 shipped off E-bay.

I can't wait to get them installed. I just want a little more volume and better quality sound from the factory system. I am no audiophile, but I am sure this will be an improvement.

My Wife asked how Jaguar could put such a crappy sounding stereo system in such a high end vehicle. I pointed out that the speakers are 9 years old and who knows if they are blown.

She is right, compared to the premium sound systems in our other vehicles, it is pretty sad. hehe.

Thanks again for sharing the info!

Old 05-30-2016, 11:29 PM
agd
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I realize this is from a long time ago, but I have a question for eaglexkr.

My original speakers (base system) have deteriorated so was hoping to replace the fronts with the Polk DB6501, but Crutchfield says they will not fit under the door grill. Did you have to modify the speakers, mounts or grills to make them work?

Thanks

Andy