Farewell . . . thanks and best wishes

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Farewell . . . thanks and best wishes

As some will be aware, my wife and lifetime partner Christine has now relinquished her long and very brave fight with cancer. Thank you all, for your very kind sentiments and support . . . throughout the past year and especially in recent weeks before and after her passing away.

I hoped for more time . . . more time with my dearly loved wife and more time to enjoy our mutual passion with Jaguars. Some were uniquely “his”; a couple were uniquely “hers”; but mostly, it was a shared interest; one of many we enjoyed across all our 47 years together.

Equally, I had hoped for more time to groom likely successors as NSW&ACT regional coordinator of Jaguar Forums. Alas, even with kindness and support from family and friends, I find myself unable to continue in that role. It requires a sense of fun, levity and activity that escapes me at this time. Neither my heart nor my head are into it at present. However, I am NOT turning my back on all the excellent friendships forged here . . . I just need space and time for reflection and to ease the sadness.

I have suggested to Jim [Admin] that I will continue as a member, albeit one who watches occasionally, rather than as an active coordinator.

Finally, may I extend my farewell and best wishes to all members throughout all the forum sections. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Thank you for your friendship. Special thanks to my many friends here in Australia. We had the privilege to help steer a great expansion of Jaguar Forums activity and participation here, and now need others to step forward to continue that impetus.

Kind regards,

Ken

The following 6 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Blakeney (12-11-2014), Don B (11-20-2014), JimC64 (11-19-2014), LnrB (11-22-2014), o1xjr (11-20-2014), Steve M (11-20-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Ken, good to hear from you, hoping you are managing to cope in one form or another at this difficult time.

I never received any message from you about relinquishing your role as RC, although of course if thats what you wish, its absolutely understandable and not a problem.

I'll remove the badge and return you to veteran member status immediately.

We do of course hope to see you from time to time, you'll be missed when you're not here, thats for sure.

If / when at any point in the future you decide you want to get involved again, the position is there for the asking.

You and your family in our thoughts Ken

Best

Jim

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (11-26-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 03:06 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

I am so sorry for your loss Ken, you were together for a long time and shared a passion for Jaguars which most of us would love to be the case. You will be sorely missed on here but I understand your need to concentrate on things there.

Please remember you have friends and associates on here all of whom would love to hear from you from time to time as and when you are ready to pop by..

Old 11-20-2014, 04:03 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I'm very sorry Ken, take care & keep strong, you are always welcome 'round here.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:39 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Sorry for your loss, we are all thinking of you and your family.

Take care of the family, and do drop in from time to time. I am sure your useful and informative posts will be missed by all members .

ATB.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:55 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Take care Ken.

I will miss the discussions, but I know you wil return when you are ready.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
cat_as_trophy (11-26-2014), JimC64 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I'm shocked and saddened to hear of Christine's passing. Our deepest sympathies.

When you're ready please think about stepping up again to the RC role, your contributions were greatly appreciated.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
cat_as_trophy (11-26-2014), JimC64 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Ken,

May God's peace be with you in this time of heartbreak and grief.

Don

Old 11-21-2014, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Sorry to hear of your loss Ken, I hope to can stay engaged with the people here when it feels right. All the best.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Oh, Ken, I am so sorry to read this; just So sorry.

Yes, you will need some time to yourself to figure out who you are now and how you will go on. How much time that will be, only you will know. Everyone handles grief differently, and no one can tell you how long is long enough.

Eventually you will begin to see light again, but it won't be the same for a very long time -- but you will see light again.

My deepest sympathies and condolences to you, Ken, and I sincerely hope to see you back in the forums when the time is right for you.

(';')
ElinorB,
Volunteer Grief Counselor attached to Pine Creek Cemetery District

Old 11-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts re Chris . . .

Thank you so sincerely for your kind words and thoughts regarding dear Chris. In many ways, she is still with me . . . younger, certainly fit and well, and determined to make her presence felt. With a broad smiling laugh she would point to 3 things you may find illuminating . . .

As a regal Viking bred (Jensens were Kings of the Danes) but thoroughly modern Aussie woman, she drove her V12 Daimler VanDen Plas with great skill and all the "panache" that lives on in ElnrB's sig. I was with her the day she disarmed (not literally) a brawny Oz highway patrol cop in the centre of the outback Hay Plains highway with "Really, 180kph? I am so terribly sorry . . . but thank heavens I wasn't in the E-Type".

When asked for her license, she handed over the full set of 3, in the special Australian Racing Drivers Club wallet, which included also her CAMS competition license and ARDC membership. The cop lectured her some more; she smiled, batted her eyelids and acted baffled; he shook his head and waved her on; she fluttered her hand out the window as she powered away! All of us, but especially the cop, were grinning like kids! Hot damn; that takes style! That same cop booked me in the E-Type a few years later at an estimated approach speed. We agreed a nominal 10kph excess; way less than my actual speed; but there was no batting of eyelids!

The second insight came from our days in the E-Type and a few may have heard the tale. Photos from back in the days of our courtship are rare, almost non existent. I remember on our second date as 19yr olds, we ducked into an instant photo booth then found near rail stations, had our 4 pics, took 2 each, and for years I carried mine in my wallet. Months after being coerced into selling our E-Type to friends, the new owners contacted our daughter with pic they found trapped in the console lining. Lost for an estimated 30 years but safe in our Jaguar, the mini pic was professionally restored, enlarged, framed, and presented to us . . . nearly 50 years after being taken, and now a family treasure.

Finally, via my news reports from Jaguar Forums, Chris took great interest in each of the women to be seen here or hereabouts. Obviously, ElnrB stood out as a kindred spirit . . . she loved the nudge, nudge, wink, wink and genuine friendship offered. But in Queensland, Chris took immense pride in Clarke's [o1xjr] daughter Sarah, who studied, practiced and successfully negotiated her drivers examination and road test. Chris was born into an era when most women didn't drive. Her own mother learned with my help, but only after Chris and I were married and Mum was in her 50s. Chris herself, despite well rehearsed spells learner driving on our touring honeymoon (shorthand for no money), only got a final push when her work as Senior Nurse at all hours made independent travel crucial. We became an early 70s oddity . . . a 2 car couple!

It came as no surprise that teaching our daughter Megan to drive, and thus ensuring her independence, was a non-negotiable priority for Chris. Much more privately, I see Chris every time Megs, now a mature 40+, smiles then laughs . . . and that's happening more for each of us.

So, thanks all. I'll keep in touch from time to time.
Best wishes,
Ken

The following 6 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Cambo (11-26-2014), Don B (11-26-2014), JimC64 (11-26-2014), LnrB (11-27-2014), o1xjr (11-27-2014), SteveSheldon (11-27-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ken, and a few remembrances of Chris too

I'm sure there are many others you could relate

Take care Ken

Jim

Old 11-27-2014, 05:09 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Chris took immense pride in Clarke's [o1xjr] daughter Sarah, who studied, practiced and successfully negotiated her drivers examination and road test.
Thanks Ken,

Sarah certainly worked hard to gain the right to drive, she needed every one of those 100 log booked hours and some. The words of encouragement from Chris and yourself along the way were taken in.

Thanks for sharing your memories with us, nice to see you drop by.

Last edited by o1xjr; 11-28-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Ken, this is such a lovely tribute. I perceive they 'broke the mold' after Chris.

I was greatly honored and delighted when you gave me permission to use that phrase, "Driven with Enormous Panache" in my sig as it exactly describes the way I drive. But I do not have the words to express how humbled I feel now, knowing Chris was interested in me as a person and as a woman (not just a name on a forum), and being refereed to as a kindred spirit.

I think I would have liked Chris immensely had we ever met.

Take care, Ken, it's So good to see you here, doing what you do so well.
(';')