Adventures on the New England Highway: Future interstate meet

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

YarrrHoooo . . . health scare finally averted and I still have full complement of "Original Equipment" legs! I had been panicking . . . y'see, getting in and out of XJ-S & XK8 Coupes is difficult enough with 2 legs.

The quacks have stopped sifting through their scalpels and wooden legs with the news that cancer chopped out 6years ago, has not returned . . . I do have an ulcer which has now been prescribed to get on with healing. Whew! Thanks all for your thoughts and best wishes.

So, all stops out for Tenterfield in March. Watch this thread next week for update on accommodation availability, discount rates etc.

Cheers all,

Ken

The following 3 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Daf11e (12-29-2016), o1xjr (12-29-2016), paulyling (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
YarrrHoooo . . . health scare finally averted and I still have full complement of "Original Equipment" legs! I had been panicking . . . y'see, getting in and out of XJ-S & XK8 Coupes is difficult enough with 2 legs.

The quacks have stopped sifting through their scalpels and wooden legs with the news that cancer chopped out 6years ago, has not returned . . . I do have an ulcer which has now been prescribed to get on with healing. Whew! Thanks all for your thoughts and best wishes.

So, all stops out for Tenterfield in March. Watch this thread next week for update on accommodation availability, discount rates etc.

Cheers all,

Ken
Good to hear Ken. Full steam ahead to Tenterfield mate!

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (12-30-2016)
Old 01-08-2017, 12:27 PM

So just to keep er bumpin' we have the following starters:

Weekend of March 18th/19th? Location: Tenterfield

Accomodation: TBC

1) cat_as_trophy (Ken & family) from Inverell, NSW
2) o1xjr (Clarke & Kirsty) from Brisbane, QLD
3) Daf11e (Jim & Nina) from Northwest Sydney, NSW
4) paulyling (Paul & Wendy) from Dicky Beach, QLD
5) ozxj (Doug & Lois) from Brisbane, QLD
6) 34by151 (James & Monika) from Sunshine Coast, QLD
7) 9LIVES (Doug) from the Sunshine Coast
8) DrPhil (Phil & Lilly) from Brisbane QLD

Ken let me know if you need me to do some ringing around also. I will be back from by the end of the week

Last edited by paulyling; 01-09-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:20 AM

In the meantime here is some inspiration for our next road trip:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1599174

Old 01-16-2017, 05:14 AM

Still very keen for this adventure.

My wife has been replaced by my father for this adventure. She is not too keen as co-pilot with my air con not up to scratch and I couldn't be bothered fixing it just yet!

I have sent a message to Ken (mate I hope you are ok) and we'll try and sort out some accommodation for Tenterfield

If anybody else would like to come or alternately if you can't make it, please let me know and I'll update the thread.

So...

2) o1xjr (Clarke & Kirsty) from Brisbane, QLD
4) paulyling (Paul & Jim) from Dicky Beach, QLD
7) 9LIVES (Doug) from the Sunshine Coast
8) DrPhil (Phil & Lilly) from Brisbane QLD

Old 01-16-2017, 03:00 PM

Heh guys

Seems to be a fair few options here in Tenterfield:

Compare Accommodation in Tenterfield

Does anybody have a particular preference for where to stay?

I am just thinking it might be easier, if we decide on the forum where we would like to stay and each person or couple ring up and book their own room.

If we can't get into a particular spot we may have a few that will have to stay in an alternate place but but we'll meet up at a suitable place for a meal for sure. What do you think Ken?

Any ideas for meeting places in the evening? I think I have passed through Tenterfield before but not real familiar with the area.

Last edited by paulyling; 01-16-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Received 3,815 Likes on 2,789 Posts

It has also been a long time since I was in Tenterfield so can't help with a meeting place......individually ringing and booking sounds good to me.

paulyling (01-16-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:58 AM

My co-pilot Jim (my Dad) has requested to check out the old Wallangarra Railway Station on the way down (he is a train buff).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallan...ailway_station

Any other ideas or suggestions to see things along the way or at Tenterfield?

After all it is all our adventure so we can customize it to how we like

Will have to find a good place to eat that night too. Any ideas of a good spot at Tenterfield? Perhaps the old pub?

Old 01-18-2017, 02:16 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

We have stayed at The Henry Parkes Tenterfield Tenterfield Motel Accommodation - Best Western Hotels Australia before, not bad. Just your normal Best Western accommodation.

Historic Stannum House is a nice bed & breakfast with quality rooms, but you pay a bit more. Stannum House ? Tenterfield NSW ? Bed & Breakfast Accommodation | The Jewel of New England

Tenterfield Tavern do great meals,we have eaten there many times. There is a motel connected to it behind the pub, but never stayed there. http://www.tenterfieldtavernmotorinn.com.au/

All on the main street and easy walking distance from each other. There are a lot more motels scattered along the main street.

Last edited by o1xjr; 01-18-2017 at 02:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
Daf11e (01-18-2017), paulyling (01-18-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by o1xjr
We have stayed at The Henry Parkes Tenterfield Tenterfield Motel Accommodation - Best Western Hotels Australia before, not bad. Just your normal Best Western accommodation.

Historic Stannum House is a nice bed & breakfast with quality rooms, but you pay a bit more. Stannum House ? Tenterfield NSW ? Bed & Breakfast Accommodation | The Jewel of New England

Tenterfield Tavern do great meals,we have eaten there many times. There is a motel connected to it behind the pub, but never stayed there. tenterfieldtavernmotorinn.com.au

All on the main street and easy walking distance from each other. There are a lot more motels scattered along the main street.
Cheers Clarke

I will be seriously looking at one of these next week and make a booking I think.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:44 AM

Well tried to book a room at the Best Western on the Saturday night March 18th but there is nothing available!

Crapper. I have now sent an email to Tenterfield Tavern to see how that goes..

Stannum House has plenty on offer too

http://stannumhouse.com.au/book-now/

Last edited by paulyling; 01-21-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:54 AM

Just booked my room here cheap as chips ($99 twin share with the ole man)

The Reid Room | Stannum House ? Tenterfield NSW ? Bed & Breakfast Accommodation

Looks groovy.

All done!

Old 01-21-2017, 03:33 PM

I got an email back from the Tenterfield Tavern to say accommodation is available that night. The catch is it was $119.

I think I got a bargain at Stannum House for only $99!

If it were me I would book soonish just incase the fill up. The Best Western was already booked for the Saturday night.

Hope to see you all there!

Old 01-21-2017, 11:58 PM

Nice one Paul, Stannum House is very nice with lovely hosts.

Adventures on the New England Highway: Future interstate meet-dsc_1792.jpg

Sorry to do this but we have to pull out of the weekend due to work commitments that look like they can't be changed.
Which means Dr Phill won't be making the weekend either, they were coming with us for the weekend away.

If my work situation changes in the meantime we will try at a later date to get accommodation or drive down to Tenterfield and meet up with everyone for dinner on the Saturday night.

paulyling (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Nice one Paul, Stannum House is very nice with lovely hosts.

Attachment 141750

Sorry to do this but we have to pull out of the weekend due to work commitments that look like they can't be changed.
Which means Dr Phill won't be making the weekend either, they were coming with us for the weekend away.

If my work situation changes in the meantime we will try at a later date to get accommodation or drive down to Tenterfield and meet up with everyone for dinner on the Saturday night.
Clarke I absolutely love that pic mate. Didn't realize that was at Stannum House. I am glad we are going there as It will make for some nice pics.

Mate real bummer you can't make it but I understand with work commitments and all. Story of my life too lol! Mate if something changes let me know and I'll bump you back on.

So...

2)
9LIVES (Doug) from the Sunshine Coast

cat_as_trophy (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul and all our other starters for Tenterfield . . . Sorry that the past month has seen me unavoidably AWOL - especially as our March meet draws near and accommodation needs to be organized. My apologies to all but the renewed fright of the dreaded big C has finally been averted.

This great news means I will still be coming to Tenterfield in [07-JAG] S-Type. My daughter Megan and friend Lisa will attend also [04-JAG] XK8- they both reckon that "two cougars in a Jaguar" will add the panache for which my wife Chris was renowned. Regrettably, all these crises over the past month or so mean that our red XJ6 has not yet got its historic plates, so son Tony and grandson Aengus will be non-starters . . . and we will not mention the XJ-S . . . aka "bloody bucket of bolts" . . . still bleeding onto the floor.

Update on Tenterfield Accom . . .

If you have not yet booked, I suggest you use [www.booking.com] and enter Tenterfield NSW with arrival March 18 and departure March 19. Rooms are going fast, so don't delay. No pre-payment is required by most and there are many choices in the $90 - $105 range. We have booked rooms at the Royal Motel in Tenterfield - just 3 blocks north of Stannum House, Settlers and Tenterfield Motor Inn. Tally-Ho is a good family option, further north.

Are there any other starters heading north that we might meet up with in . . . say, Glen Innes . . . doing the convoy thing like Paul has proposed for our SEQ friends?

Paul, have you given thought to meet & greet on arrival, evening dinner, perhaps a parade through town etc?

Again, dear friends . . . sorry to have dropped the ball on this . . . but jump in quick and book. This is going to be a great weekend away. Tenterfield is such a lovely scenic community, lots of heritage and hopefully . . . a somewhat cooler clime than the 40s that all of us up here have been copping recently.

Best wishes to all,

Ken

The following 3 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Daf11e (02-01-2017), o1xjr (02-01-2017), paulyling (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Hi Paul and all our other starters for Tenterfield . . . Sorry that the past month has seen me unavoidably AWOL - especially as our March meet draws near and accommodation needs to be organized. My apologies to all but the renewed fright of the dreaded big C has finally been averted.

This great news means I will still be coming to Tenterfield in [07-JAG] S-Type. My daughter Megan and friend Lisa will attend also [04-JAG] XK8- they both reckon that "two cougars in a Jaguar" will add the panache for which my wife Chris was renowned. Regrettably, all these crises over the past month or so mean that our red XJ6 has not yet got its historic plates, so son Tony and grandson Aengus will be non-starters . . . and we will not mention the XJ-S . . . aka "bloody bucket of bolts" . . . still bleeding onto the floor.

Update on Tenterfield Accom . . .

If you have not yet booked, I suggest you use [www.booking.com] and enter Tenterfield NSW with arrival March 18 and departure March 19. Rooms are going fast, so don't delay. No pre-payment is required by most and there are many choices in the $90 - $105 range. We have booked rooms at the Royal Motel in Tenterfield - just 3 blocks north of Stannum House, Settlers and Tenterfield Motor Inn. Tally-Ho is a good family option, further north.

Are there any other starters heading north that we might meet up with in . . . say, Glen Innes . . . doing the convoy thing like Paul has proposed for our SEQ friends?

Paul, have you given thought to meet & greet on arrival, evening dinner, perhaps a parade through town etc?

Again, dear friends . . . sorry to have dropped the ball on this . . . but jump in quick and book. This is going to be a great weekend away. Tenterfield is such a lovely scenic community, lots of heritage and hopefully . . . a somewhat cooler clime than the 40s that all of us up here have been copping recently.

Best wishes to all,

Ken
Great to have you back on board Ken! Good to hear you are all clear.

I think we should definitely met up for Dinner (that's a given) and also somewhere in the Arvo when we arrive (Perhaps a landmark, park or coffee shop/pub?)

I am absolutely clueless as to where. The main historic pub for dinner perhaps?

Here is Trip Advisor's Top 10 things to do in Tenterfield:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attra...uth_Wales.html

My father (who will be my co pilot) is a mad train buff and I grew up with trains. I would love to put in a vote to meet at the Tenterfield Railway Museum:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attra...uth_Wales.html

Probably plenty of parking with some great photo opportunities near some other old bits of iron perhaps. Just my and to get the ideas flowing. Also thinking of the practicality of our vehicles too...so maybe a trip to the national parks are out ha ha ha.

Accomodation: Various. Each to book their own.

Meeting and Greet Location: ?

Dinner Location ?

1) cat_as_trophy (Ken) from Inverell, NSW
2)
9LIVES (Doug) from the Sunshine Coast
7) 04-JAG (Ken's daughter Megan and friend Lisa)

Last edited by paulyling; 02-01-2017 at 06:52 AM.
cat_as_trophy (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 06:02 AM

Here is a pic out the front of the Tenterfield Railway Museum apparently:

Might make for some good photo ops with ample parking....dunno just a thought.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by paulyling

Here is Trip Advisor's Top 10 things to do in Tenterfield:
There is nice lookout up on the hill S/W of town, well worth a short drive.(Behind Stannum House to the south.)

While you are at Stannum House be sure to take the after breakfast climb to the rooftop platform for a look around.
Might be better to leave Dad with a cuppa in the dining room, very steep spiral staircase. Getting back down is a mission.

paulyling (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

Good thinkin' 99 . . .
Some good ideas there . . . I had noted that the historic Railway Museum gets a special mention (my vote too) but as you note, there are plenty of great ideas for things to do. I like your idea of getting everyone to do a bit of investigating and toss in their ideas.

My clan (and that's a Welsh Megan or Meg, but never Meagan) are spending Friday and Sunday night with me at Inverell . . . so we will expect to arrive Tenterfield for lunch, book in and look to meet up. Suggest late afternoon for freshen up prior to evening dinner. Perhaps there will be time for further activity on Sunday am . . . perhaps even lunch . . . prior to heading home.

I suggest that Paul & I will PM everyone attending with our respective mobile numbers to aid contact . . . others may do the same, but rather not post them on open forums.

Cheers,

Ken

paulyling (02-01-2017)