Can anyone help me remove an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Can anyone help me remove an engine?

For the last few months my restoration project has been put on hold because I can't remove the engine....

It's a '63 MK2. It's my first project so I'm not that confident in just lifting it (I'm afraid that I might break other parts)

Is there anyone who knows someone who can come to my place (Brisbane northside) and help me get it out? I can buy/rent the hoist, just need some guidance.

Cheers
Vince

Old 01-27-2017, 01:38 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Hi Vince, have you considered using a mobile mechanic. There are a few getting around at reasonable rates.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (01-29-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Vince. Clarke's idea is a good one, but I wonder why you are nervous about tackling it yourself. Everyone who has ever pulled an XK out of a Mk1, Mk2, or original S Type . . . always started with their first one. I know . . . it looks cramped and it is, when compared to an XJ. Moreover, I trust your signature ref to having a 3.8L V6 is a typo . . . if not, you really will have trouble!!! Perhaps your V6 exhausts exit via your wheel wells . . . but I rather think not.

Follow the workshop manual, drain all fluids, disconnect and remove all listed components. Take load of powertrain on hoist, then remove engine mounts. While you can tilt and raise entire powertrain once radiator etc is out, in the manner outlined in the good book, my preference is to tilt and lower then separate gearbox onto the floor by floor jack . . . then tilt and raise engine to remove. If you remove ALL of the peripheral components, including the starter motor, there is really little left to snag. Yes, there are hidden traps aplenty . . . be very careful removing the exhaust couplings and even the 2 piece manifolds. Use plenty of WD40 on any stubborn studs or nuts, give them another squirt, then return to tackle them next day.

Above all else, allow yourself plenty of time, refuse to be flustered. One chap I know photocopied all the R&R steps . . . then slashed a big black felt pen through each step as he completed it. Used a fresh set of pages when time came to refit. Others I know, start by recording as much as possible (like electrical connectors) on their digital cameras. Time is your ally . . . the big advantage you have over a commercial workshop. So, use it well.

I hope this helps build your confidence in what is really a fairly simple procedure . . . simple? yes, but long and arduous . . . hence the need for a sensible plan, workshop manual (here in Stickies). Now, body rust is a different matter. Rust equates to lots of sheet-metal fabrication. Rust demands great welding skills. Rust has ruined more wannabe Jaguar restos than any engine R&R.

Best wishes, and keep us posted on your progress,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (02-02-2017)