GPS in XKR X100

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 04:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question GPS in XKR X100

Hi all,
I have an X100 XKR and have fitted a TomTom Via280 in place of the original unit.
It looks good and everything works except the GPS. The problem is it needs an external antenna. The next problem is everyone (and companies included), have no conception of what I am trying to achieve and simply say "just move it around the dash".
So the question to you all is :- Has anyone done this or know of anyone who can fit an external antenna to the unit? Preferably in Queensland.
Ferdie

PS. There is a Toowoomba Auto Club annual economy run coming up later in the year, starting in T'ba and finishing at a private auto museum at Tamberine, doing about 370km and using the "tulip" mapping system with navigator questions on all good roads. Economy is based on Ltr/100km by car weight (the heaver the car the better) with emphasise on fun. I'll post more info as it comes to hand.
Ferdie

Old 03-16-2016, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

If the GPS has no antenna connection you can use a repeater type antenna

Take a look here (RA-50 antenna)
Aerials

Cheers
34by151

The following users liked this post:
Ferdie (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 PM

THANKS 34BY151

Great web site, Have ordered a RA-50 and a Maps Aust. for my Ute.
Will let you know how it turns out.
Very exciting.

Thanks again
Ferdie

Old 03-18-2016, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Ferdie,

Not likely that you will get much feedback here because so very few of the Alpine SatNav equipped cars came to Oz via company import. Private import is a different matter!

Have you researched the thread "Fitting Modern Garmin2597LMT Satnav" in the XK8/XKR Forum - a fairly no fuss, fully integrated solution.

This is the approach that I will adopt, but I would be very interested in pics and details of your system when fully functional.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 03-18-2016, 11:52 PM

Hi Ken.
I have read a bit about Garmin fittings and went looking for a unit at Dick Smith closing down sale.
They did not have a suitable Garmin but did have a 5" TomTom VIA280 at the right price so I got that.
It's a pretty good unit with voice control, Blue tooth etc.
I took the original unit out and detached the switch panel. The TomTom fitted neatly in the said panel aperture. Next I found a broken VCR I had stored away, and dismantled it.
From this I scrounged screws, springs and pressure switches, wiring and the plastic frame.
Opening the new GPS up I soldered 2 wires to the on-off pressure switch.
The original switches with the original head unit removed are now "floppy" and rattle, so for the left side ones I removed the clear plastic retainers and cutting-down-to-size a compression spring from the old VCR, fitted them behind the switches and refitted the clear plastic retainer. Hay-presto switches that don't rattle and feel normal. A small screw and washer from the VCR fixed the toggle switch firmly in place.
On the right side using the same as above plus fitting the scrounged pressure switch, spring and some plastic frame, attached it behind the original on-off button, and attached the aforementioned wires to the switch. Works great.
A 25mm wide peace or plastic frame from the VCR and 2 small pieces of rubber secure the unit to the original switch frame, fitted diagonally and using the original screw holes.
The USB cable from the unit passes behind the glove box.
A multi cigar lighter adaptor from Super Cheap Autos is attached to the steel frame inside and above the glove box opening. The 2 piece USB cable plugs into this.
This is a bonus as the unit can be updated via the USB cable from a lap top.
Everything works well except for the GPS as it cannot pick up a signal, hence the previous post.
Thanks to 34BY151 I have ordered and received yesterday arvo a GPS repeater which I intend to install this weekend if I can get the door kick panel off and it will plug into the other cigar plug hole with the small antenna box on the rear parcel shelf.
When it is completed I'll post a result. hopefully it will work.
Ferdie