New 37yo pussycat. Clarke, what have you done to me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default New 37yo pussycat. Clarke, what have you done to me?

Hello all,

Beware the owners of XJ6s who walk softly . . . but wield big stick! Just when I was lurking for an outstanding late XJR, I retire tonight as proud new owner of an immacuate '79 Series3 4.2L XJ6 . . . faultless Classic Red over brand new Oatmeal interior. We ate dinner off the pristine XK up front . . . we lounged across the LWB rear seat that doubles as a basketball arena . . . we snuggled up to the spotlessly clean boot carpets and wheel-well.

Two sets of wheels and brand new Michelin boots. Did I mention the wire wheels? Does it get better than this? Is that what owning a classic is all about?

Clarke! What the bloody hell have you done to me? Gone were the rip-snorting, fire-breathing Jaguars of my youth . . . er, middle age . . . yeah well, 60 is still sorta middle aged, isn't it?

Who landed this on my plate as a 70th birthday present? All my middle-aged kids are highly amused of course. I don't know whether to be embarrassed or amused that I must now go cap-in-hand to that font of all knowledge of the XJ6 dark side . . . the Black Knight, Clarke . . . for insights of what makes them go . . . and not go . . . and do they all come with rear bar-be-ques as standard?

I have a goodly list of minor challenges to contend with . . . neither the aircon nor power aerial work . . . but hey, I have real celebrity gurus like Clarke and Cambo to rely on. A few bottles of Penfolds Kalimna Shiraz Bin 128 . . . what could go awry? And I still think there is a silver XJR somewhere out there with my name on it. Actually . . . if I squint my eyes nearly shut . . . block out the shiny red duco . . . imagine in a whirring supercharger . . . yep; it sorta looks like a poor man's XJR. Very poor!

Very best wishes for a great day with Murray at Peninsular Jag. Next year for my Brisbane visit . . . will bring XJ6 if I can save enough to finance the support team, low loader, return air tickets etc etc . . .

Clarke, mate, give us another Shiraz, willya?
Cheers to all, and enjoy the pics,

Ken

Attached Thumbnails New 37yo pussycat.  Clarke, what have you done to me?-img360.jpg   New 37yo pussycat.  Clarke, what have you done to me?-img361.jpg   New 37yo pussycat.  Clarke, what have you done to me?-img362.jpg   New 37yo pussycat.  Clarke, what have you done to me?-img363.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (10-13-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 02:57 AM
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice, VERY nice

cat_as_trophy (10-13-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 04:11 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Well, there you go Ken. Something from the kids that is going to need all that spare time you have. I think the wire wheels will look after at least a few hours a week.(I bet it was Meg's idea)
You will just have to hang out in the XJ forum now for a bit.

You know they just bought so they can take the XK8 when visiting you without getting any complaints.

Nice looking car, I'm going to have to make a trip to Inverell someday now you are a collector. Two is enthusiast, three and looking for a fourth is collector.

Cheers.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Default 3 = enthusiast; 4 = collector . . . hmmm . . .

Truth be known, the rego+personal plates+greenslip+insurances on the later Jags is killing me . . . especially when I can only drive one at a time!

Discovered club member sponsored NSW HISTORIC rego for any classic vehicle of >30 years - pretty much free for a limit of 60 trips per year which must be entered into vehicle's log book. That's 5 trips a month which is fairly generous and the "H . . . . " number plates are pretty sexy too.

Stimulated me to look at what was around up to 1986 and - at a fifth the price of the XK8 - it fair screamed at me to snap it up. Perhaps that era could also snag an XJS or XJSC for a Sunday-only driver? Just a thought.

Cheers,

Ken

o1xjr (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 07:08 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I have looked into club rego myself, but not worth it for me as I use Fireball as a daily driver. 15 times a year plus club runs is not enough driving time for me.
Then I would have to drive the other J car(jeep) more than I would enjoy. I did move it from the garage to the road the other day, first time I drove it in a month. Only to to put my car away after it spent a week parked on the street.
Jeep is good when it has the camper trailer attached and esky full!

Apart from that it is just the adequate vehicle(as LnrB) would say.

New 37yo pussycat.  Clarke, what have you done to me?-dsc_1234.jpg New 37yo pussycat.  Clarke, what have you done to me?-dsc_1278.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 10-13-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
I have looked into club rego myself, but not worth it for me as I use Fireball as a daily driver. 15 times a year plus club runs is not enough driving time for me.
Agree wholeheartedly, Clarke. Even 60 runs per year is "inadequate" for a daily drive. Best saved for when kids escape . . . and you are left with a big garage full of just your Jaguars. I hear Miss Fireball agreeing . . . she says she would enjoy the company of another feline or two . . . or three!

Now . . . you mentioned there is an XJ6 Forum here somewhere?
I'm off to investigate non-working aircon (SeriesIII).
Not to mention the disgrace of an electric aerial that doesn't retract!!!

Steady, Luke . . . beware the force of the Dark Side!

Cheers mate,

Ken

o1xjr (10-13-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

oooooooo....noice! They are getting quite rare in that kind of condition. Enjoy!

cat_as_trophy (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Steve,

There are always niggles (aircon, u/s radio aerial, a few duco touchups) but, having bought it with 11 months full rego, I'll have plenty of time to enjoy it and find any ticking time bombs before moving onto the restricted H plates . . . in workshop . . . wielding spanners . . . lubricated by a decent Australian Shiraz!

In the meantime, I am having fun exploring the XJ forum - with special emphasis on the SeriesIII. In no time at all, I found the potential microswitch fix for the aircon mode control, complete with Scott's video. Now I'm off to track down the wiring diagrams of the power aerial, although i suspect that the issue is mechanical (stripped worm drive or whatever).

Cheers.

Ken