New member intro - Adelaide, Australia. Looking for XJ6/XJ8

Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New member intro - Adelaide, Australia. Looking for XJ6/XJ8

This was originally posted in the general new member section of Jaguar Forums but I thought it would be a good idea to post here too as I am based in Adelaide:

Hi members,

I am fairly new to Jaguars and I'm very keen to purchase an XJ6 (X300-AJ6) or XJ8 (X308-AJV8) in the near future. I've been on holiday for a few months which has allowed me to do some research and learning but I still have a lot to learn.

I have been an avid Morris Mini fan and have a 68 Morris Mini Deluxe that has failed to get out of the garage in the past 15 years. Life has just got in the way. My every day driver has been a 1995 Mitsubishi Magna 3.0V6 so i would like to get a Jaguar that is at least 1995 or newer. Although, I am aware that Jaguars are far more advanced vehicles to my basic Mitsubishi so a 1990 XJ6 will probably still feel like a newer vehicle to me.

The reality is that I don't drive very often - only on weekends but I mostly drive long distances including interstate drives every few months. Being a musician means that music is very important to me and long drives mean lots of music so I intend to upgrade the stereo in the Jag i purchase. I listen to a large variety of music including jazz, Indi, folk and classical music so I will probably hover about the audio section of this forum when i finally purchase a vehicle.

I'm not the most mechanically competent person around but I have performed minor mechanical repairs on all my previous cars. I'm looking forward to learning how to keep my Jaguar in good running order and maintaining a good level of reliability.

I am very happy to have found such an extensive and well-used forum. Any suggestions and recommendations will be very welcome.

Regards
Matt

Old 03-04-2015, 01:12 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

Matt,

Welcome to teh forum.

Lots of info gathered already I read.

Either car is a good car.

My opinion, based on lots of years with these beasts.

The X300 is the most trouble free of teh 2 initially, and bearing in mind what you can/cannot do, and what you want to do with it.

The AJ16 engine is basicaaly bullet proof. OK, it has some niggles sometimes, but they are few.

The 3.2ltr engine is sweet as, and is coupled to a ZF "non-electronic" transmission. That was mine, I just sold it, and we travelled over 70000kms in 3 years in it, and NO complaints at all.

This makes the package simple, and troubleshooting is also simple, due to lesser electronics. The rest is the same as the 4ltr, EXCEPT this engine gets the "electronic" transmission. Issues with this unit are rare, but electronics as they age are unfriendly.

Also, the 3.2 no got LSD, or traction control, the 4ltr DOES.

The V8 cars:

These engines suffered from top chain tensioner failures. MOST have been sorted, but there are still some out there with the "plastic" units, and they are a time bomb.

If the tentioners have been done with version 3 units, GOOD as any engine.

The transmission is a worry. Again, most have failed and been rebuilt with updated components, which as long as the fluid is drained and refilled every 2 years is as good as any other out there.

I like both, REALLY.

I went to the S Type's (2), due to my physical challenges getting into the X300, XJ-S and the other older Jags I had.

If you want some more info etc, or just to talk things through, send me a PM, and I can help you find the right car. Not much in SA, but Vic is close by.

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot for all the info Grant. I get back to Adelaide in a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to checking out a few cars when I get there. I'm on holiday in South America at the moment and there aren't many Jaguars about here. I used to live in Victoria and I still regularly travel there so that might be a good place to find a good car. I'll be sure to run the options by you for your opinion.

Cheers
Matt

Grant Francis (03-04-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Hi Matt,

FYI I have just listed my XJ6 (1997 X300) on carssales.com.au present Vic reg. TH 1001

She is in absolutely superb nick with low km. Very sad to be selling her, but several circumstances dictate. If you're open to looking at a Vic car I have her available for inspection in Ferntree Gully. Please PM me if interested!

Cheers,

Grant Francis (03-19-2015)