reloading Aus Nav maps on a 2008 X-Type luxury model

Old 02-05-2014, 02:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default reloading Aus Nav maps on a 2008 X-Type luxury model

Hi all,

I have a 2008 X-Type luxury model, with the factory navisystem, sitting in my garage. It is an Aussie delivered car, but went overseasfor a 12-month jaunt courtesy of its previous owner.

At this time, the then owner appears to have loaded the UKnavi maps, which I presume has wiped the Aussie navi maps from the system.

I’d like to reinstate this beast to its former glory, whichmeans getting either the factory maps (it is a late 2008 build) or perhaps evenmore updated maps fitted.

Can this be done by loading software from a DVD or somesuch? If so, do I approach Jag, or some other vendor (such as a Navi company).

Does anyone have any recent, relevant experience to assistme in my dilemma?

Regards,

Foibles

Last edited by GGG; 02-05-2014 at 02:40 AM. Reason: remove extra line breaks
Old 02-05-2014, 02:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,746 Likes on 12,140 Posts

Foibles,

I expect your 2008 still has the Jaguar Navigation with the maps on DVD, the same as my XK?

If so, this is the procedure to install a different region DVD:

It then loads the new maps as the Nav unit starts up.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails reloading Aus Nav maps on a 2008 X-Type luxury model-navigation-dvd.jpg  
Old 02-05-2014, 04:41 AM

Thanks Graham,

I just checked the DVD unit, and found a burnt DVD in there (which I suppose was for the UK maps). As I can't find the Aus DVD anywhere, I presume it is just a matter of buying, loading and then it will install from there?

Can anyone advise where best to purchase Aus Nav maps from?

Thanks again!

Old 02-05-2014, 05:02 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Foibles
Thanks Graham,

I just checked the DVD unit, and found a burnt DVD in there (which I suppose was for the UK maps). As I can't find the Aus DVD anywhere, I presume it is just a matter of buying, loading and then it will install from there?

Can anyone advise where best to purchase Aus Nav maps from?

Thanks again!
Yes- it's a simple switch to the correct mapping DVD to get the system up and running.

I got a fright at the invoice from Jaguar for the European update set for mine so you may want to check your options before strolling into the dealer!

Graham

Old 02-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You can get an update for X Type from Sensis They release a new disk around Aprileach year if you want the absolute latest, otherwise buy now for last years update. cheaper from Sensis than Jag Dealer. Around $300 plus.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The official discs are from Whereis, and not cheap.

But, a Denso Toyota/Lexus disc will work as the Nav is a Denso unit. I picked up a secondhand disc for $50 and it works in my XJR. You cannot update the software and for whatever reason the option to avoid tolls doesn't work. I also lost the ability to enter a destination while the vehicle is moving which I had with the EU maps.

Apart from that its ok.

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Jaguar SatNav Update Disks

Originally Posted by Cambo351
The official discs are from Whereis, and not cheap.
Hi Cameron, Thanks for the tip re Denso Toyota. But now a general call to all Aus/NZ members.
Has anyone had experience of the following for map updates <Navigation Systems Australia>?

All advertised prices include free shipping. That's a winner.
Their advertised price for V18 disk of 2012 seems OK at $100,
(especially if you currently have 2006 or older - or none at all).
The $200 for V19 of 2013 is a significant discount on Whereis official price.
However, the $400 for the new release of V20 of 2014 is a big whack.

I may just be too cynical at times, but there could be a fly in the ointment.
Their "About Us" tab page appears to be a direct cut-and-paste from Whereis.

I have no affiliation with them, so all feedback will benefit all of us.
Unless majority feedback is negative, I am prepared to try them - and report back.

Cheers.
Ken

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 02-20-2014 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo
meirion1 (04-17-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 04:52 AM

I have looked at them also and emailed them as to the source of their maps. They claimed they were Whereis. I asked Whereis and they have never heard of them. Be careful.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Kosta, for your prompt reply. Any others had dealings with them?

Old 02-23-2014, 03:59 PM

I have only just looked at their web page now, and it screams 'SCAM' to me. For instance, they request no calls whatsoever aside from 'tech support', and you must have caller ID showing (why?). They don't support email (unusual, as the enquiries sent by Web Form will be sent to them via email). Lastly, looking at their home page, I notice that they were a 2012 Gold Award Winner of the Australian Business Quality Awards. When I go to the 'ABQA' web page itself, there is no mention of who they are, how they judge applicants and award winners - merely a form requesting a $189 payment. This is without doubt a SHAM, possibly a SCAM. In other words, you MAY get your DVD, and all may be well, but it won't be an authorised product, you'll have no warranty, etc. Doubt it is really worth saving $50-100 on such a thing is it?

Old 02-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Foibles;

That's now 3-0 (I include myself) for a SCAM.
But ... thought it important to bring to attention in view of this thread topic.

Has anyone had any experience of purchasing (or trying to purchase) with them? If not, and given the worries expressed, it looks a no-go.

Regards,
Ken

Old 03-15-2014, 05:02 PM

well, i decided to test the process.....figured 60 or so was not a great risk. Was from the same seller on ebay. Will post his link up shortly. Think it was a 2012 update i got...cost 65 or so all up. Delivered in 3 days. Works fine!

meirion1 (04-17-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 02:30 AM

I don't know if this is the place to put it but I have free to forum member OEM Jaguar Whereis Australian Navigation Disk Version 13 from my S Type and Version 2 from my X Type. A bit old now seeing V.20 has just been released (V.9 for NZ) but still useful.

GGG (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 02:57 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by kosta013
I don't know if this is the place to put it but I have free to forum member .........
Very generous.

As you are not selling it, this doesn't have to go in the Classifieds so this is the best place to post to get the attention of Australia based members.

Graham

Old 04-10-2014, 04:27 AM

I'll take the V13 disc mate, am very keen to have a look at the files/folders and compare it to my 2012 euro disc to see if I can figure out how to unlock the entering destinations on the move. Because i'm using a Toyota/Lexus disc at the moment the file structure doesn't really match up.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 AM

OK, its yours

Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts
Default Peninsula link

The Peninsula link (South of Melbourne) was opened in Jan 2013 hence there is a

very good chance that v19 (2013) will have the link on it.

This version is $150 from Nav Sys Australia website, however if you wait until

next year you can probably get it for $100.

I know where the link is and I don't think it's going to move!

Old 05-03-2014, 06:46 AM

Alright, I finally got a chance to have a look at the Nav discs in detail...

I have three discs available for comparison;

Genuine Jaguar 2006 Western Europe
Genuine Jaguar 2006 AUS (no NZ) V13 from kosta013 (thanks again mate)
Genuine Toyota Lexus Denso 2012/2013 AUS/NZ V19/V8 which I picked up 2nd hand

I also have a Genuine Jaguar 2004 Western Europe disc somewhere but I can't find it right now, it came out of my old X-Type, and did not allow destination entry on the move. I updated to a 2010 in the X-Type, which unlocked that feature, the disc was sold with the car.

Previously in Europe the 2006 Jag disc in the XJR allowed destination entry and other functions while the vehicle was moving. Running the Toyota/Lexus "Denso" disc I lost that feature, I didn't make a software update from the "Denso" disc, turns out it's a good thing I didn't!

So here is a picture of all three discs mentioned above, viewed in Windows Explorer;

Interesting to note that the Genuine 2006 Jaguar disc is all but identical to the 2013 "Denso" disc, save for 2x files, and the size of the files (maps).

Those two extra files just happen to be there in the 2006 EURO disc, so i'd say they are Jaguar-specific files.

What's interesting is the file LOADING.KWI....

This file is the one that is used to resurrect a dead Nav system, as expained in this post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...99/#post872112

When I looked at the LOADING.KWI file on the Whereis AUS/NZ discs, they are totally different to the LOADING.KWI on the Jag discs, or the one used to resurrect a dead Nav system. On the Genuine Jaguar Whereis disc it's a Toyota/Lexus file!!!!! WTF!!!!

The files and layout of the AUS/NZ discs are totally different to the EURO discs, so it's safe to say that they just took the Toyota disc, added those two extra files to make it work properly with the Jag.

Now, i've been using the Toyota/Lexus Denso disc in my XJR, and to be honest it's never worked as well as the old Euro disc when I was living over there.

So i'm going to make a new 2013 disc out of what we've got here;

2013 "Denso" disc files, but copy the 2x VIRTUAL.DAT files from the Jag disc, and replace the LOADING.KWI with the one from the 2006 EURO disc.

Let's see if this fixes it!

FYI i've looked at all the files you see in that pic using notepad, to try and compare them between discs to figure out what they do and if there might be one file that would be critical for the unlocking of destination entry on the move.

ALLDATA.KWI = appears to be map information
DICVCE56.KWI = illegible data
INDEXDAT.KWI = specific index linking to the data files in the IDX folder, don't mess with this
LOADING.KWI = the actual software to run the touchscreen
METADATA.KWI= language options for the touchscreen
REGION.KWI = appears to be map data
SPEC.KWI = refers back to the metadata
VAR256D.KWI = illegible data

The two VIRTUAL.DAT files are empty when viewed in notepad, but obviously they are specific to Jags, being in both genuine Jag discs...

The IDX folders seem to hold all the info on the Point Of Interests, and the other "extra data" associated with the maps; presumably things like which are toll roads, the average speeds on those roads, etc...

My understanding is that when you load a disc in the Nav system, it checks the version of the LOADING.KWI file on the disc and compares it to the software that is already loaded in there, if the software on the disc is a newer version, it will automatically update. If the software is an older version it won't update, but you still get the functions of the newer software as it's already stored in the nav.

I saw this a few times where I updated the software in friends cars (S-Type, X-Type and X350) with my 2010 Euro disc back in Switzerland, and then when we put the older disc back in, the destination entry on the move was still unlocked.

The thing is, with these Whereis discs, the software version is completely different i.e. Toyota/Lexus vs. Jaguar, so I reckon that it locks everything up as a result.

I will try loading the "new & improved" disc in the XJR tomorrow, and see what happens....

Attached Thumbnails reloading Aus Nav maps on a 2008 X-Type luxury model-navdiscs2.gif  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:37 PM

Well, some good news & bad news....

Good news is, the "hacked" disc with 2013 maps actually works, much better than the Toyota/Lexus Denso disc, it's much faster to respond to button presses, and the zoom function is very fast. The responses are just as quick as the genuine 2006 disc I got from kosta.

Bad news, the destination entry on the move is still locked out....

And it still automatically selects toll roads, even though that is supposed to be "off"

There must be some sort of hard coding in the actual map files which locks out entry on the move...

Old 05-06-2014, 08:17 PM

Oh wait, I just realised something...

When I picked up the XJR in London, I took the 2010 Euro disc from the X-Type with me, and loaded that in the car for the drive home (so the firmware was updated to 2010) then afterwards I put the 2006 disc back in, so it was 2006 maps, with the 2010 firmware (already loaded in the car).

So that LOADING.KWI file I copied to the new disc is not the latest one.

And I don't have a >2010 Euro disc anywhere here...

But i'm not sure it'll make any difference to be honest...

indi4ever (05-28-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: reloading Aus Nav maps on a 2008 X-Type luxury model