Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Speed limits

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Speed limits

I'm a new member so I'm not sure how interesting this is to our group here, however, in Ontario, there is a web-site stop100.ca that is getting a lot of attention because the originator is targeting the apparent low speed limits on the provinces highways. No one really follows them, so its mayhem with left lane being at speed limits sometimes and the others 20 km hour over.. etc. etc.. police ticketing when they are low on quota and so forth.. so anyway, the local Jaguar club was interested in this site a couple of years ago.. thought the members might be here too.
As well, when the Liberal's asked for new policy ideas on their site earlier this year, increasing speed limits scored number three (much to their horror) and also one suggesting doing away with front license plates was well up the list as well.. (music to a Jaguar or exotic car owner)..
Needless to say, the stop100 site offers a chance to vote and some good technical info.. they suggest 130 k on divided and 100 k on others.. pretty much what most drive at now.
Lawrence.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

On a semi-related note, seems like provincial and municipal leaders of all stripes, are calling on new 'revenue tools' to help fund transit initiatives, and ease traffic congestion and gridlock. I commute across the 401 daily, and I can tell you, even if you were to widen it to 20 lanes, gridlock would still ensue.

First and foremost, there is NO LANE DISCIPLINE. The fact that the left lane is for passing eludes 99% of motorists. There are inexplicable slow spots along the major highways, even at off-peak hours. These slow spots are followed by wide-open highway for kilometers, with majority of drivers insisting on not speeding back up to the speed limit.

I feel like instead of spending billions expanding existing infrastructure, a small fraction invested in driver education, road signage, and maybe some more radical ideas on how to 'manage' traffic flow, would pay the most dividends.

for starters, have "keep right except to pass" signs along the highways as often as speed limit signage.
Maybe have road works paint PASSING LANE or FAST LANE on the left lane itself. Something simple and cost effective as that could be more productive.

I swear, my daily commute is more of an obstacle course than a smooth flow of traffic. It's 'every driver for themselves' mentality out there, and you have drivers insisting on going THEIR OWN PACE, which means any attempt at passing requires darting from lane to lane to lane, in an attempt to get ahead; completely unsafe and impractical.

I would sooner spend those tens of billions in infrastructure spending, developing automated driving, because as soon as you take the task of driving away from the average driver, and have it automated by computers, would result in taking advantage of the real throughput of our major roadways.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GT42R
On a semi-related note, seems like provincial and municipal leaders of all stripes, are calling on new 'revenue tools' to help fund transit initiatives, and ease traffic congestion and gridlock. I commute across the 401 daily, and I can tell you, even if you were to widen it to 20 lanes, gridlock would still ensue.

First and foremost, there is NO LANE DISCIPLINE. The fact that the left lane is for passing eludes 99% of motorists. There are inexplicable slow spots along the major highways, even at off-peak hours. These slow spots are followed by wide-open highway for kilometers, with majority of drivers insisting on not speeding back up to the speed limit.

I feel like instead of spending billions expanding existing infrastructure, a small fraction invested in driver education, road signage, and maybe some more radical ideas on how to 'manage' traffic flow, would pay the most dividends.

for starters, have "keep right except to pass" signs along the highways as often as speed limit signage.
Maybe have road works paint PASSING LANE or FAST LANE on the left lane itself. Something simple and cost effective as that could be more productive.

I swear, my daily commute is more of an obstacle course than a smooth flow of traffic. It's 'every driver for themselves' mentality out there, and you have drivers insisting on going THEIR OWN PACE, which means any attempt at passing requires darting from lane to lane to lane, in an attempt to get ahead; completely unsafe and impractical.

I would sooner spend those tens of billions in infrastructure spending, developing automated driving, because as soon as you take the task of driving away from the average driver, and have it automated by computers, would result in taking advantage of the real throughput of our major roadways.
Couldn't agree more with what you say around the issue of lane hogs... it seems that the police are spending their time hiding behind hedges with radar, rather than clearing the left lane hogs so the traffic could move. Part of the problem is also artificially low speed limits.. someone is doing the speed limit (or less), in the left lane, and the rest are driving at a more reasonable 20 or so k over and the left lane hog just stays in the left, blocking traffic, I assume because they think they are doing the speed limit.... so the heck with everyone else. The 401 over the top of the city should be 120, with the left lane for passing and the 401 outside of the city 130.. similar to Europe and a number of U.S. states.

Having lived in Europe for awhile, they do not block the passing lane and the speed limits are often 130 k, which everyone is comfortable driving.. you hardly ever see someone doing much more than that due to comfort levels and the police radar 'thing' was hardly ever noticeable.. certainly in Spain and Italy.. As well, much the same in Arizona and Texas. You would enjoy the data on the site.. stop100.ca

As someone who enjoys driving (expect for above) I would hate to see automated driving, yet who knows, may be something that will come along.

Anyway, I don't think change fits into the 'nanny state' mind set of the current prov. gov't.. I recently read that some U.S. states have new computer systems that coordinate green lights to keep traffic moving, rather than here where it seems to lights always stop the traffic at every intersection.. waste of gas and pollution issue.. article said: 'no interest in Canada with this system at this point'.

Lawrence.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I heard on the news today that Tim Hudak is in favour of scrapping the Drive Clean program. He's got my vote.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
I heard on the news today that Tim Hudak is in favour of scrapping the Drive Clean program. He's got my vote.
Yes, for sure.. just another tax grab and make work project.
Lawrence

Old 05-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

It certainly does not take much to get you to vote for an idiot. School teacher strikes, sale of 407 (now the most expensive road in the world to drive on), implementation of the MPAC process that wiped Ontario of a lot of it base industries (loss of jobs) down loading to municipalities, need I say more.

Anyway back on subject how about settling up a proper driving test so as to make sure that everybody that holds a driving permit can actually drive a car in a safe manner. Half the people I come across on the road cannot.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by peddlarbob
It certainly does not take much to get you to vote for an idiot. School teacher strikes, sale of 407 (now the most expensive road in the world to drive on), implementation of the MPAC process that wiped Ontario of a lot of it base industries (loss of jobs) down loading to municipalities, need I say more.

Anyway back on subject how about settling up a proper driving test so as to make sure that everybody that holds a driving permit can actually drive a car in a safe manner. Half the people I come across on the road cannot.
The driving tests seems like a good point to me... I'm not sure how they conduct tests these days, but back many years ago when I did mine, it was simply a drive around a few blocks, parking and thats it.. no lane discipline or highway driving etc.
The whole downloading to municipalities is part of the issue around the police spending so much time with the 'radar' traps. We know people who work at the township offices and they say that the OPP (Ontario Police) negotiate contracts with the municipalities each year or so, and part of the discussion is how many and how much in ticket revenue will be planned for. They say they all know it has nothing to do with safety.
..Result is maintaining low speed limits with lots of opportunity to write tickets.
..Insurance companies react to tickets to increase your premium.
..Courts are crowded with nuisance speeding ticket issues, but they are a provincial cost so the OPP or municipalities don't care.
..As well, everyone is driving at very different speeds, a problem in itself, and spending loads of time watching out for the radar traps.
Anyway, I have not had a ticket in many years, the whole process however is just ridiculous.

Lawrence

Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by peddlarbob
It certainly does not take much to get you to vote for an idiot.
Jeeze Bob, it was a joke.

I have no intent to vote for any particular idiot over the other idiots simply because of their stand on one issue. Unless there's free pizza and beer at stake.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back to Basics

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Couldn't agree more with what you say around the issue of lane hogs... it seems that the police are spending their time hiding behind hedges with radar, rather than clearing the left lane hogs so the traffic could move. Part of the problem is also artificially low speed limits.. someone is doing the speed limit (or less), in the left lane, and the rest are driving at a more reasonable 20 or so k over and the left lane hog just stays in the left, blocking traffic, I assume because they think they are doing the speed limit.... so the heck with everyone else. The 401 over the top of the city should be 120, with the left lane for passing and the 401 outside of the city 130.. similar to Europe and a number of U.S. states.

Having lived in Europe for awhile, they do not block the passing lane and the speed limits are often 130 k, which everyone is comfortable driving.. you hardly ever see someone doing much more than that due to comfort levels and the police radar 'thing' was hardly ever noticeable.. certainly in Spain and Italy.. As well, much the same in Arizona and Texas. You would enjoy the data on the site.. stop100.ca

As someone who enjoys driving (expect for above) I would hate to see automated driving, yet who knows, may be something that will come along.

Anyway, I don't think change fits into the 'nanny state' mind set of the current prov. gov't.. I recently read that some U.S. states have new computer systems that coordinate green lights to keep traffic moving, rather than here where it seems to lights always stop the traffic at every intersection.. waste of gas and pollution issue.. article said: 'no interest in Canada with this system at this point'.

Lawrence.

Education and stiffer consequences seem to keep Europe in check. Except for speeding above 150kph, we are missing these parameters in Canada/Ontario.

Basics rules of the road are being lost. Examples: Waving (or blinkers) when given a friendly gesture like "someone letting you in"; very few drivers seem to acknowledge gestures. Lane changing out of the passing lane; especially when, there is more than one car behind, regardless whether you are at or over the speed limit. Stopping at a flashing red; so annoying during a power outage to see drivers struggle with this one. Or, not "attacking" the intersection to turn left; some drivers are too timid, and less patient drivers become overly aggressive on their tail and horn.

We're starting to do a better job with new young drivers, but we don't have a handle on drivers new to Canada. We can't fault the latter because we say -- so long as you have a license saying you can control a vehicle and can read signs, you're good. The Transport Agency needs to lead vs just maintain. Even changes to traffic light management and pavement markings make so much sense to manage traffic; unfortunately, we seem to struggle with simplicity.

The following users liked this post:
GT42R (06-16-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 04:29 PM

Saw a news article yesterday that some highways in BC now have a limit of 120. WTF is wrong with Ontario?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:06 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

LOL Ontario... Seriously been considering packing my things up and leaving this damn province... Heard it's nice out west! Heck, even out East is beautiful!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Saw a news article yesterday that some highways in BC now have a limit of 120. WTF is wrong with Ontario?

Seeing that only about 20% of those that presently possess driving licences in Ontario can actually drive, the thought of increasing the speed limits scares the hell out of me. Want 2 easy examples, just look around you and see how many people can actually parallel park a car or even reverse in a straight line and then you want these folks to be hurtling down the road at 120 KPH possibly even 140KPH, heaven forgive.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 AM

Bob-

Don't forget that I am a recent immigrant here, having grown up in Quebec where only 2% display any sort of driving ability or talent. I'm still amazed that cars here have flashing lights at the corners that seem to illuminate shortly before the car performs a manoeuvre at an intersection. Sorcery!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, good news, doubt the Ontario gov't will have that much foresight.

The B.C. minister must have been aware of the information on the website stop100.ca which details the notion of speed differential as the real issue with collisions.
Lawrence.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 111 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Buck Twenty and lovin it

Average speed 130 and the cops don't care until you hit 135+.
As for bad drivers doing this speed here is the surprising fact. I have noticed that drivers who don't want to go that fast actually get out of the way and stay in the slow lane. As for bad drivers not capable of driving the limit or more but attempt it, well, the Darwin effect should take of that.
I moved out west 1979 from the Soo and never looked back. I did however go back in August this year and drove from Tbay to the Soo and back (in a Jetts) at the outrageous speed of 100Kmh all the while waving to the many OPP I passed along the way.
Come one, come all, Jaggers welcome
Tip: If you fly, come to Kamloops and go from the centre of the province
Final note: 98 XK8 loves 130 and does 230 quite nicely

Old 12-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Skooba Kowboy

Average speed 130 and the cops don't care until you hit 135+.
As for bad drivers doing this speed here is the surprising fact. I have noticed that drivers who don't want to go that fast actually get out of the way and stay in the slow lane. As for bad drivers not capable of driving the limit or more but attempt it, well, the Darwin effect should take of that.
I moved out west 1979 from the Soo and never looked back. I did however go back in August this year and drove from Tbay to the Soo and back (in a Jetts) at the outrageous speed of 100Kmh all the while waving to the many OPP I passed along the way.
Come one, come all, Jaggers welcome
Tip: If you fly, come to Kamloops and go from the centre of the province
Final note: 98 XK8 loves 130 and does 230 quite nicely
Definitely jealous ... the 'nanny' state of Ontario feels very restrictive in comparison to your experience.
Lawrence.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Speed Limits

This is a really touchy issue of mine. Speed limits are set for the idiot drivers which far exceed the number of good drivers. Probably only 5% are decent drivers Canada wide, possible 2%. Most people behind the wheel are actually afraid to drive, why , because there is no real driving test , they should not be on the roads behind the wheel. I was born in the UK before there was a Motorway. Then they built a motorway but NO SPEED LIMIT.
It continued that way until AC Motors started testing their cars at 3am to 4am in the morning at 200 MPH. The government imposed a 70MPH speed limit which no-one obeys to this day . I drove 120MPH steady for 300 miles along with the rest of the traffic , just keeping up guys and that was this year. You are followed down the motorway by CCTV cameras at all times and unless you are reckless no problem. In Montreal my daughter was in a driving class, they chose 1 person from the group for the test , if he or she failed they all failed, if they passed they all passed. What kind of BS is that. I worked with an engineer from New Zealand who got his degree in the UK.
This story astounds me since he was a MECHANCAL engineer but he failed his driving test 6 times and never obtained his licence in the UK. He actually told me this story, still can't believe it. He passed the test first time in Canada. The driving test in Calgary is non existent everyone passes. If they do not want to take the test I have been told $250 will buy you one. (Price 15 years ago). I thought Montreal was bad but Calgary is ridiculous. First day of snow 400 accidents , every year without fail, you can check the statistics.
The speed limit 100k , I can do that in reverse , ridiculous. Believe me the faster you go the more focused you are on driving so the cops should not be concentrating on the fast drivers who know what they are doing (in the most part) but the drivers in the passing lane at 60kph in a 100kph zone. 100kph is really stupid (like 55mph in the US) and frustrating for those of us that are so relaxed at any speed our hearts do not increase one heartbeat. Lets get back to no speed limits. My car is limited to 300kph because the autobahns don't want anyone going much faster than that. I was in ten European countries this year and I am very serious I did not see one accident, not even a fender bender, because they actually have to pass a real driving test. (Paris not included) was in south of France but not Paris this year, they have no rules. Sorry this is lengthy but I don't believe in speed limits. Stay within the limits of your driving capabilities and the limitations of your car. Over 70 years old with 52 years of driving experience and love driving no matter which side of the road or which country.

The following users liked this post:
cr500 (01-07-2017)
Old 12-24-2016, 09:35 PM
Received 111 Likes on 40 Posts

Well said!

Old 01-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

There is no joy in driving anywhere around the GTA anymore. Among lane discipline/left-lane slow driving, non-signalling, congestion, poor road surfaces, and texting while driving, there's only tremendous frustration around town.

Used to love going for drive; now it's rare when it is a sustained stress-free or frustration-free trip.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Driving pleasure

You need to move to Calgary. Driving in the city, same problems as Toronto , bad drivers etc. . Once you are out of the city the roads are built for Jaguars, fabulous winding country roads in great condition. Not much traffic on country roads. Drive twice a week into the mountains and Kananaskis. Scenery unbelievable, with the mountains and photograph Grizzly bears. I always take the back roads, Alberta maintains them very well. I usually do 300 miles round trip but got carried away in October covered 500 miles all on back roads, no potholes at all. Used to live in Montreal where it is one big pothole. I never go back there any more. No reason. In the winter use my wife's Land Rover use the gravel back roads, just as good. Was there Saturday, going again today (grizzlies sleeping though)

Quick Reply: Speed limits