Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Speed limits

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Saw a news article yesterday that some highways
in BC now have a limit of 120. WTF is wrong with Ontario?

That is correct. We have a long stretch out here at Parksville, Vancouver Island, heading North to Tofino etc which is 120. My new XF AWD just leaps for joy when I cruise along at 120--or so. Speed limits have been increased all across the Island and traffic moves better. Of course, there are always idiots that cut in and out or hog the actual passing lane. On the 401 for example 120 or perhaps more should keep traffic moving better but there IS so much traffic that other measures might be needed such as the discipline mentioned earlier. Police would better serve the driving public by cruising and clearing the passing lane rather than hiding behind "bushes". I have never had a ticket in 55 years of driving but I am almost never/never more than 10 k over the limit anyway. The powerful 340HP V6 I have is mainly useful for acceleration when needed and especially when passing on single lane roads.
cheers
AL

Old 01-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoJagssandy
You need to move to Calgary. Driving in the city, same problems as Toronto , bad drivers etc. . Once you are out of the city the roads are built for Jaguars, fabulous winding country roads in great condition. Not much traffic on country roads. Drive twice a week into the mountains and Kananaskis. Scenery unbelievable, with the mountains and photograph Grizzly bears. I always take the back roads, Alberta maintains them very well. I usually do 300 miles round trip but got carried away in October covered 500 miles all on back roads, no potholes at all. Used to live in Montreal where it is one big pothole. I never go back there any more. No reason. In the winter use my wife's Land Rover use the gravel back roads, just as good. Was there Saturday, going again today (grizzlies sleeping though)
We were out at a family wedding in Canmore a few summers ago and made the most of the time with drives all over the area. Breathtaking views offered with on each and every route - Kananaskis, Banff/LL...foothills...... I'd want to be out driving all the time too.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to smile when I read this post. Are you sure you Canadians are not really Australians? It seems we both suffer the same issues. Nice, big open, safe roads, moderns, safe good handling cars, and speed limits from the dark ages. I also thought we had the monopoly on retarded drivers doing 5Ks under the speed limit in the overtaking lane.
OK, I am not without fault. If I am on a big open freeway with an artificially low speed limit for 10 hours of straight line driving, I, like most others apparently, use this time to catch up on phone calls, texts, reading notes etc to keep our brains occupied instead of dropping off to sleep while our brains are not being used. When I am in areas with more realistic speed limits, my brain switches to driving mode. BTW, I will be in Canada (mainly Ottawa)in 6 months time so I hope to get a good look around some of your nice roads and scenery.

Last edited by cr500; 01-07-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RoonieQ
We were out at a family wedding in Canmore a few summers ago and made the most of the time with drives all over the area. Breathtaking views offered with on each and every route - Kananaskis, Banff/LL...foothills...... I'd want to be out driving all the time too.
Glad you enjoyed the area. Hope you took the trail straight up the mountain out of Canmore called Smith Dorian Trail (where they filmed "The Revenant". Trail can be rough at times due to logging trucks but views incredible. Winter views even more spectacular. Avalanche zones so be careful. Very few people take the trail but one of the best. Used wife's Land Rover a month ago. Nice photos, it was snowing. Come back again.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by cr500
I had to smile when I read this post. Are you sure you Canadians are not really Australians? It seems we both suffer the same issues. Nice, big open, safe roads, moderns, safe good handling cars, and speed limits from the dark ages. I also thought we had the monopoly on retarded drivers doing 5Ks under the speed limit in the overtaking lane.
OK, I am not without fault. If I am on a big open freeway with an artificially low speed limit for 10 hours of straight line driving, I, like most others apparently, use this time to catch up on phone calls, texts, reading notes etc to keep our brains occupied instead of dropping off to sleep while our brains are not being used. When I am in areas with more realistic speed limits, my brain switches to driving mode. BTW, I will be in Canada (mainly Ottawa)in 6 months time so I hope to get a good look around some of your nice roads and scenery.
Just stay west of Ottawa . If you dare cross the roads into Quebec you may be killed from cement falling off the overpasses or the entire overpass may drop onto your car. Not Joking. Stay West young Man .

Old 01-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

BTW, I will be in Canada (mainly Ottawa)in 6 months time so I hope to get a good look around some of your nice roads and scenery.
Don't think of touching your smart phone while you're at the wheel, stiff fines and penalties.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:26 PM

You will enjoy Ottawa(in summer NOT winter which is dreadful). Good variety of cycling routes if you are so inclined. Road system is very good. I would strongly advise you NOT to use your cell phone or text while driving as the police are very diligent about handing out pricey tickets to offenders. Drivers will also report such offenders. We were based in Ottawa for some 35 years but spent most of our working lives overseas.
Cheers
AL

Old 01-09-2017, 01:31 PM

Just stay west of Ottawa . If you dare cross the roads into Quebec you may be killed from cement falling off the overpasses or the entire overpass may drop onto your car. Not Joking. Stay West young Man .

That's too funny. I know from experience you are more likely to get T-boned or rear ended on a Quebec road--driver's are very unpredictable. And BTW the sign which says ARRET means STOP! Funny too as in Paris the stop signs are STOP, but Quebecers want to be different. Lovely scenery over there and Montreal restaurants, if you go that far, are outstanding.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by BCJAG
You will enjoy Ottawa(in summer NOT winter which is dreadful). Good variety of cycling routes if you are so inclined. Road system is very good. I would strongly advise you NOT to use your cell phone or text while driving as the police are very diligent about handing out pricey tickets to offenders. Drivers will also report such offenders. We were based in Ottawa for some 35 years but spent most of our working lives overseas.
Cheers
AL
I will likely be driving across to Niagara Falls so will be heading west. As it will all be new to me I will be looking around, being a rubber necking tourist.
When I mentioned using the phone while driving, that is on the wide open, near empty freeway, limited to 110kmh, not many drivers, on a 3 -9 hr route I travel weekly. If there are cars around, I am stuck waiting behind passing lane hogs doing 10 under so I am alert trying to get past.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:55 PM

When I mentioned using the phone while driving, that is on the wide open, near empty freeway, limited to 110kmh, not many drivers,
That's not going to happen Ottawa -> Niagara. You'll be on the largest, busiest stretch of freeway in North America while you traverse Toronto.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by BCJAG
That's too funny. I know from experience you are more likely to get T-boned or rear ended on a Quebec road--driver's are very unpredictable. And BTW the sign which says ARRET means STOP! Funny too as in Paris the stop signs are STOP, but Quebecers want to be different. Lovely scenery over there and Montreal restaurants, if you go that far, are outstanding.
Agree, if you survive the falling concrete and don't get T boned in the city , the restaurants are terrific. My favourites 20 years ago were Gibby's in old Montreal for steak, Chez Pauze for sea food , Troika for atmosphere, some good italian food "Romanos" , west island for pizza, reserve ahead for seating its that good.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:26 PM

Agree, if you survive the falling concrete and don't get T boned in the city , the restaurants are terrific. My favourites 20 years ago were Gibby's in old Montreal for steak, Chez Pauze for sea food , Troika for atmosphere, some good italian food "Romanos" , west island for pizza, reserve ahead for seating its that good.
ok, what is the concrete falling off bridges story about? I will likely take a look around Montreal and Quebec while I am in the Ottawa area.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:45 PM

ok, what is the concrete falling off bridges story about? I will likely take a look around Montreal and Quebec while I am in the Ottawa area.
OK joking for the most part its unlikely to happen to you but in the past poor quality concrete ( I will not go into that, I want to live to an old age) in construction of buildings and highways and poor maintenance resulted in large chunks of concrete falling onto cars below form overpasses has killed and injured drivers in and around Montreal. An overpass did fall onto several cars killing the occupants. They have installed grey coloured fibreglass cages to catch the falling concrete bits. You will see them on Decarie expressway and on the highways if you venture into Quebec. A BUS sized chunk fell from the Olympic stadium years ago where people walked, no one was hurt. The government is broke from politicians stuffing their pockets and suitcases full of money so it will only get worse not better since they can't afford to fix it. I AM NOW GOING INTO WITNESS PROTECTION FOR A WHILE. Nice chatting with you.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:49 PM

Steel reinforced concrete doesn't like freeze/thaw cycles, road salt and vehicle vibration all mixed together. Tends to make bridges and overpasses fall down in chunks.

About 10 years ago, Montreal found out it was way behind the curve in maintenance. Ancient news.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:49 PM

I will likely be driving across to Niagara Falls so will be heading west. As it will all be new to me I will be looking around, being a rubber necking tourist.
When I mentioned using the phone while driving, that is on the wide open, near empty freeway, limited to 110kmh, not many drivers, on a 3 -9 hr route I travel weekly. If there are cars around, I am stuck waiting behind passing lane hogs doing 10 under so I am alert trying to get past.
There is the Canadian side and American side of Niagara Falls, both nice but Canadian side is more spectacular. As for using cell phone while driving I remember a trip I made with one of my previous big RVs. I was focussing on my daughter's question and driving too but/but I also missed my turn off. That was before it became illegal to hold a cell phone and converse while driving. Maybe my brain is not multifunctional for driving and using a phone but I doubt it...
Enjoy your holidays in Canada. Canadian dollar should be about the same as Australian and gas prices aren't too bad in Ontario.
AL

Old 01-09-2017, 06:01 PM

Steel reinforced concrete doesn't like freeze/thaw cycles, road salt and vehicle vibration all mixed together. Tends to make bridges and overpasses fall down in chunks.

About 10 years ago, Montreal found out it was way behind the curve in maintenance. Ancient news.
You are right Mikey, its like the chances of being struck by lightening but I lived there for over 30 years and I think you can figure out who controlled the concrete industry at the time and supplied inferior quality concrete. One of my neighbours down the street with the Rolls and corvette and electrically heated driveway and boats etc, etc, disappeared overnight when they announced an investigation into the corruption. I can say no more , BACK INTO THE PROGRAM. By the way my son and his family still live in Montreal and he drives his Porsche daily to work so take half my story in jest , the other half in some basis in fact known by all Montrealers.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:26 PM

I was born and raised in Montreal, lived there for just under 60 years.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 PM

I was born and raised in Montreal, lived there for just under 60 years.
Good to know Mikey, When I arrived there in 1960 it was booming a great town for many years. My kids grew up there and still there with the grandchildren. I see we have both moved on for our own reasons. This is a car forum so if I go off track once in a while with dry humour don't take it too seriously. Still miss the great restaurants, we don't have that many in Calgary.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:36 PM

What part of Montreal Mikey.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:06 PM

South shore (Rive Sud)

Quick Reply: Speed limits