Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

When to apply paint sealant

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post When to apply paint sealant

I am having a trusted autobody shop remove the serious swirls and medium scratches from my Jag. I want them to apply a paint sealant and then I will wax with;

Detailer's Poli-Coat Paint Sealant
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845

My question is if they should glaze the car after compounding and polishing and then put on the paint sealant or leave off the glaze step off so it doesn't interfere with the bonding. Usually the use a prep solution before the paint sealant goes on so wouldn't that remove the glaze?

Your help is greatly appreciated in this matter. Thank you.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:58 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

A glaze is like make up. It's used to minimize any scratches that weren't or could not be removed during the compounding process. It's not permanent even if it's coated with a sealant and or wax. If I were you I would have the detailer focus on getting the scratches and swirl marks out. Spend your money with that as your primary focus. Then get the car home and apply a glaze, sealant and maybe even wax yourself.

Once you get your car in shape spend some time learning how to PREVENT swirlmarks otherwise your finish will be right back to its previous condition.

The following users liked this post:
jphurlman (10-27-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Smile Thank you

Originally Posted by XJL
A glaze is like make up. It's used to minimize any scratches that weren't or could not be removed during the compounding process. It's not permanent even if it's coated with a sealant and or wax. If I were you I would have the detailer focus on getting the scratches and swirl marks out. Spend your money with that as your primary focus. Then get the car home and apply a glaze, sealant and maybe even wax yourself.

Once you get your car in shape spend some time learning how to PREVENT swirlmarks otherwise your finish will be right back to its previous condition.

I am going to ask him not to do the glaze and just compound, intermediate swirl remover, and then fine polish. I have a DA polisher and have done this myself on my previous car but I don't have a garage and the weather isn't co-operating. I will do additional polishing with XMT Fine and Ultra-Fine polish after I pick it up. Then Detailers Poly sealant and the Collinite 485 wax x 2 to protect for the winter.

Thanks to autogeek.net and Mike Philips I learned years ago how to prevent the swirls, never a car wash. I do a full detail on my car twice a year washing using Turtle Wax Wash with double buckets w/ Grit guards, top and bottom MF noodle mitts and dry with a patting motion with a waffle weave ultra-absorbent towel and MF towels, IronX, Nanoscrub, Wolfgang Total Swirl, XMT Fine and then Ultrafine, Mothers Glaze, Mothers California Gold wax.

Normal wash, polish and wax as needed each week. I won't even get into the interior, I just purchased this car and I have 16 hours on the interior.

I bought two EMS bags to hold all the stuff, all the adjustable compartments and elastic hold downs works great.

Thanks again for your help and very useful comments.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:23 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

Jim,

You are smart to let a professional detailer do the heavy compounding since you only have a DA. It would take you several days to get the type of correction that can be achieved with a rotary polisher and a skilled expert. Here is another benefit you get doing the glaze and sealant yourself. Most of these glazes and sealants have a 12 hour or more cure time. Most detailers will not wait that long (and I don't blame them, they have to keep the cars moving out of the shop) and simply apply the glaze, followed by the sealant a short time later. By waiting, I think you get the additional benefit of getting a better bond and hopefully a longer lasting glaze and sealant. Plus you can do multiple layers of sealant if you wish with 12 hours or more between coats to really get some deep reflective shine going.

Post some pictures if you have some time. I'd love to see how it came out!

The following users liked this post:
jphurlman (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Default response

Originally Posted by XJL
Jim,

You are smart to let a professional detailer do the heavy compounding since you only have a DA. It would take you several days to get the type of correction that can be achieved with a rotary polisher and a skilled expert. Here is another benefit you get doing the glaze and sealant yourself. Most of these glazes and sealants have a 12 hour or more cure time. Most detailers will not wait that long (and I don't blame them, they have to keep the cars moving out of the shop) and simply apply the glaze, followed by the sealant a short time later. By waiting, I think you get the additional benefit of getting a better bond and hopefully a longer lasting glaze and sealant. Plus you can do multiple layers of sealant if you wish with 12 hours or more between coats to really get some deep reflective shine going.

Post some pictures if you have some time. I'd love to see how it came out!

Thanks for the info and as soon as this project is finished I will post some pics.
JimH