Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

05 S-Type Non DPF EGR Readings

Old 10-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 05 S-Type Non DPF EGR Readings

I've just been playing with my Autoenginuity ODB2 reader with the Jaguar enhancements trying to track down my intermittent misfire when warming up. Today its 20 degrees and the engine is warm so I'm just trying to get familiar with the interface and the information available.
I've noticed that the EGR valves on each bank are behaving totally differently. Bank 0 is never still for long and both its command and position signals move around from fully open to fully closed and all parts inbetween several times a minute when idling as well as when driving. Bank 1 behaves differently and its valve seems to stay nearly closed with small movements on idle and then moves a little more when driving.
Does anyone know if its normal for them to behave so differently?

Old 11-14-2014, 12:21 AM

Update on this, it eventually spat an EGR code so it looks like it wasn't normal. Just installed a bypass kit, cleared the code and the cycling has stopped. Curiously the MIL didn't illuminate with the code

Old 12-16-2014, 08:58 PM

Further update, the valve is still intermittent as it's failing, when the engine is off and ignition on I can tap the drivers side (RHD) with the handle of a screwdriver and on the laptop it jumps from closed to 2/3 open and back again without the command signal moving so the feedback bit is stuffed. it also makes a loud click click click noise just after the engine is shutoff. Also despite the EGR bypass it keeps throwing EGR excessive flow and EGR performance / range codes.
I'm looking for a scrap valve that is electrically working that I can plug in to keep the electronics happy as my next step as the engine is running fine.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

A new one may not cost much...

Old 12-17-2014, 02:16 AM

Around 230 UKP by the tine I get one to NZ plus fitting if I cant do it myself. Kind of a pointless expense if it's blanked off.
I'm hoping the local Land Rover dealer can donate me a burnt out one that still works electrically that I can cable tie to the side of the engine
Originally Posted by JagV8
A new one may not cost much...

Old 12-22-2014, 08:26 PM

As this has yet again thrown up an excessive EGR flow MIL whilst the EGR is unplugged I'm going as a xmas project to see if providing the defective valves feedback line with the signal from the working ones valve keeps the ECU happy. Granted its a little off the wall but a piece of wire from the back of the garage and a little time is cheaper than a new valve and the electrically working one hasn't appeared yet.
If nothing else we'll learn a little more about the workings of the early diesel cars EGR.
It picks up way better low down without the large EGR injection tubes and extra throttle strangling it so I'm loath to put it all back on, much less black soot out the back too!

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (12-28-2014)