Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

2.7TDi non-start / fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.7TDi non-start / fuel issue

Hi all,

Background and brief tests-

Non running S-type diesel, 55 plate and 126k miles. Garaged for 3yrs. before me apparently would start with easy-start. (not witnessed by me)

Yet to check timing but given above I think issue is elsewhere and DIY tests lead to assume probably high pressure fuel pump - mechanically driven off camshaft etc.

No DTC (P codes) showing.

1. Have checked Cam and Crank sensors and responding with voltage flux to CPU correctly although CPS sensor on the low side.
  2. Have checked OBD-II and nothing.
  3. Have checked fuel delivery from filter to High Pressure Fuel Pump and very good i.e 1ltr in circa 5-10 seconds.
  4. Have checked collected diesel from above test and fine - no contamination or separation in collected fuel.
  5. Have a poor 45amp battery, not 90-100amp as desired but enough to crank over for 30 odd cranks. Aware Jags are amp/volt sensitive but believe battery enough to effect start. When switched to 'ON' fuel pick up (sound) and glow plugs work. Difficult/Zero access to FVCV & FPCV (fuel volume and pressure control valve on high pressure fuel pump) to test via multi-metre- so not done yet, hence questions that follow.
  6. Have slackened off completely high pressure fuel pipe from common rail to injector no.3.
    • No spray whilst doing so i.e no existing pressure in common rail
    • A dribble of fuel from said joint whilst cranking
  7. Have not check EGR or DPF status as effectively these would normally cause bad running but not be sufficient to cause a non start.
Again, engine cranks over but with NO sign of catching

Question
I know above test with high pressure fuel lines is not recommended and yes I wore protective's and goggles etc, but understand that common rail diesels really do not need Glow-Plugs as diesel is injected under very high pressure -350+ psi. Can't afford to spend £100's at a replacement pump to prove fault if it is elsewhere and do not have a pressure gauge. - so:

Is there anything I am missing? Your views are really sort

With thanks
    Paul

Old 11-28-2016, 10:26 AM
    Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am suffering start problems, is the Glow Plug light illuminating for approx 3-5 secs ? if not immobiliser is still engaged ... double un lock with key fob. that is what i have been told, mine is still also intermittently not starting ok for 12 hrs then needs to be recovered... then ok when in Garage... so maybe engine ECU / data cable - connections.