Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

DPF+ EGR cutouts + remaps in Australia?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default DPF+ EGR cutouts + remaps in Australia?

Hello all. I am currently acquiring a very late 2.7 TTD S-Type and am keen to find anyone in Australia who can help me arrange any or all of the above. I would only be interested in the cutouts or blanking if I can ensure a remap to take advantage. I like the lead set by Jim, BuckMR2 and many others, but need help.

So, I am calling on Jim, Ronbros, Doc on the Gold Coast, and everyone else who has contributed to this subject. In particular Doc ... I am not far south of you, and I am keen to know if you are still about, and still messing about with these beautiful high performance oil-burners.

Please don't be bashful. I have spent oodles of hours both throughout here, and at Jim's excellent suggestion, all across the UK Forums.

Best wishes to all for 2014;

Ken.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (11-05-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Mate,
I have an XFS (3 litre diesel twin turbo) and I've done a heap of research looking for someone in Oz who is willing and able to do a DPF removal and remap.
So far I've found only one mob, ChipTuning, in western Sydney, see here: DPF Service Solutions and Removal? The Best Place For DPF Problems
They are a long way from me in Adelaide, but with any luck they are not too far from you.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
cat_as_trophy (03-13-2014), pmoore22 (07-25-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hello OzXFS ... What a great surprise this morning to get your reply. I must confess that, after 5-6 weeks of silence, I had just about given up on there being anyone about with an interest or experience in this. Recently, I have been so busy helping others on the forums, I had not checked here as often as I should. I jumped on your link; checked out the Chip Tune website; and will contact them.

My car is in great nick but, as it comes up to 140,000Km, I want an ongoing solution that removes the DPF risks and EGR muck as well as deliver the power and torque improvements of an ECM remap. I'm tired of reading all about the benefits from a range of suppliers in the UK, so your post has really brightened up my day.

$2K is a wad of cash, but for a welcome change, would mean I'm not wielding the spanners. It may not not happen soon, but I will keep you posted with developments ... and sincere thanks once again, for your valuable "heads up".

Best wishes,

pmoore22 (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 02:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XJ diesel "Restricted Performance"

This is my first post and I would like to reinforce my thanks for the discussion.
My 2007 XJ diesel is perfect except that occasionally it tries to kill me.
The latest incident was on a 2800km round trip Sydney - Adelaide.
Car ran faultlessly for about 650km, cruising at 110 kph plus. Then, as I was starting to overtake a B-double at 100kph on the Sturt Highway (two lane bitumen, kangaroos galore at dusk, for those not from Oz) with another B-double right up my behind "Restricted Performance" came on and the car took a nap.
Luckily it wasn't quite dark so I was able to take evasive action on the opposite shoulder amid much horn blasting from the truck behind.
Two days in the Jaguar dealer in Adelaide failed to fix the problem.. They helpfully said if I could leave the car with them they "might" be able to fix it.
End result was a stressful 1400km drive home without the ability to overtake or go up hills.
Next stop is the DPF surgery & remapping mentioned by OzFXS.
Have others experienced such potentially fatal events or am I just a little unlucky?
Phil

Last edited by pmoore22; 07-25-2014 at 02:45 AM. Reason: thanked wrong person
Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member

pmoore 22,

The Sydney mob I talked about now have a rider/disclaimer/advice on their DPF removal page, that DPF removal is possibly now illegal in NSW, quote:
"Note: NSW vehicle owners need to be aware that you must not use a vehicle on any road or roads related area in NSW if any anti pollution device has been removed unless the vehicle is being used in motor racing or off road motor sports. Other Countries, States and Territories may have similar restrictions. Check with your Country, State or Territory regarding your rights."
But in the meantime I stumbled across an Adelaide based tuner who reckons he can do all the necessary tuning work, (remove ECU, extract code, send code to DimSport Europe, they translate the code to a tweakable form, send it back, local tuner then tweaks the code to neuter the DPF parts and increase performance, and reflashes the ECU) providing someone else physically removes the DPF (or guts it, which seems to be the better option). Not because he is dodgy, it's just that his shop doesn't have the right welding equipment.
I'm still tossing up whether to go ahead, as my DPF has been perfectly behaved for the last 5 months or so, and I'm thinking of buying a new XE or XF in a couple of years time and I don't want to stuff up the chances of selling the current car for a decent price.
Apparently the 2.7D is much worse than the 3.0D for DPF problems.

pmoore22 (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Default EGR/DPF and ReMap options in Oz

Wow ... hello to both you fellas, and thanks heaps for your feedback.

To Phil first, and can I offer some initial bits of advice:
  • go to User CP on main menu; click Edit Signature to include your car, variant, MY, etc to ensure you always get accurate advice;
  • jump to NSW&ACT section to post a "hello" there, then note that I have added your name into post#4 of our "roll call" Sticky;
  • as you may know, few diesels were exported beyond UK and Europe, so in most markets represented, they are largely unknown;
  • despite this, I recommend you post in your model specific and diesel sections with details of issues and fault codes generated;
  • Phil, I would first want to ensure that these codes give an accurate diagnosis ... albeit my experience is all S-Type, I would be surprised if the big open spaces around my old stomping ground of the Sturt through the Hay Plains, Sunraysia and Riverland would be anything less than "DPF regen heaven".
Please keep us posted on your progress Phil, and please continue to monitor and contribute to this thread. There may not be many of us oil-burners, but I want to see us start to punch our weight.
Best wishes,
Ken

pmoore22 (07-25-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 AM

A quick update on my woes.
The car has now been with the service guy for four days! He's getting different read outs every time and is now up to tracing the wiring. He agrees that DPF "surgery" & remapping is a good idea however he's worried that the problem readings are pre ignition and not post. Not that I particularly mind visiting his workshop He's currently working on three E Types including a perfect red 4.2 coupe which I believe belongs to someone in the Jaguar Car Club. He's also restoring a Mark 10 (Why? You may well ask.) and I don't think I've ever seen a better rebuild.
However two things come to mind:1) isn't the 2.7 diesel basically the same engine as fitted to the Ford Territory? If so why the mystery? 2) does anyone from Jaguar monitor these posts? After my first near death experience on the back road between Tamworth and Dubbo I sent a very cross email to Jaguar Australia whose response was to refer me back to the dealer who had serviced the car only two weeks before the near catastrophe. Call me naïve but I would have thought that a major prestige car manufacturer would be a little more concerned about possible threats to life and limb on its customers. Apart from anything else if I become an ex person I can't buy another car. Any views or suggestions? Phil

Last edited by pmoore22; 07-29-2014 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Poor spelling. Woes not wows!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Default V6 TT Diesel update

Hello Phil ... and please accept my HUGE apologies.

I have no idea why or how ... but somehow I became "unsubscribed" on this thread and missed your followup post of some months ago. Phil, you raise a valid point about Jaguar Australia's apparently unhelpful response to your near catastrophe. If you wish to further this within Jaguar Australia, you are welcome to PM me, although my chap is I think middle management. I hope I am not out of order in suggesting that you PM Cambo351 whom I believe can refer you to someone more senior.

To prevent repetition, can I refer you and other TTD owners whether XJ, S-Type or XF; whether 2.7L or 3.0L; to review recent posts in all adjacent threads here. In Leedsman's thread of "Fuel Consumption", I have tried to summarize my findings with help from many on the UK forum; Jaguar Australia and staff at Castle Bromwich.

The contacts listed by OzXFS in Sydney (Chip Tuning) appear very knowledgeable and their shop well equipped. Vague about legalities in NSW. Sounds like an EGR blanking and DPF "guts and pipe through" is feasible ... because they can do the critical ECM reflash to take advantage of the hardware mods which, if executed professionally, would be most difficult to identify unless dismantled. As OzXFS says, this may impact on future resale. Perhaps OzXFS, you can give us an update on your Adelaide contact?

No-one here is undertaking legal interpretation nor advocating that any member should knowingly break the law. Just a "heads up" that you should get professional advice to ascertain your rights and then, having done so, there are a few (very few it seems) who can help.

Best wishes,
Ken

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 08-25-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: clarify meaning
Old 10-25-2014, 01:09 AM

Car is now at the vets for surgery. I'll advise re outcome.
Having now done exhaustive research it seems that this isn't a Jaguar specific problem (although the 2.7 appears to be more affected than most).
Regards
Phil

Old 10-27-2014, 01:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the invite Phil. Your Jag is ready

Goes really well too.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:07 AM

BTW, your "exhaustive" research has paid off

Old 10-29-2014, 01:43 AM
Default Eureka

Hello fellow travellers.
My cat is now back from the vets and, wonder of wonders, seems to be rid of the dreaded "DPF Full" and "Restricted Performance" messages.
It also has noticeably more torque and, perhaps it's my imagination, but seems smoother and more responsive.
If anyone is experiencing similar problems (i.e. permanent limp home mode or a car with apparent homicidal tendencies) I strongly recommend talking to Robert at Chip Tuning, Londonderry NSW. This is not an ad for them just a glowing endorsement.

As an aside I emailed Jaguar to ask if they would guarantee that the problems would not reoccur if I replaced the DPF with a genuine Jaguar spare part. The best they would do is a twelve months / unlimited km warranty. Hardly inspiring when the problem has the potential to cause major accidents and resulted in two unplanned and unwelcome off-road excursions (not to mention a 1400km Adelaide to Sydney trip in limp home)
Regards Phil

Old 10-29-2014, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member

Phil, did you get it tuned for extra power & torque, or just the DPF removal re-map?
The mob I have spoken to here in Adelaide reckon I (and anyone else) would be mad not to get it tuned for more power & torque at the same time as a DPF removal re-map, as there is hardly any extra time or expense involved, and it's a pretty big job anyway to remove the ECU, re-map it, then refit it.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:45 AM

Hi OzXFS
I did indeed.
Nothing outrageous but Chip Tuning quote about 20% more torque & increased power naturally follows.
If 20% is correct then that takes the 2.7 from 440nm to about 500 - 520nm.
It should therefore take the 3.0 to about 600nm.
It's impossible to verify without a stop watch but it certainly feels quicker (again this could be because I've been driving my daughter's cast off '96 Corolla for the past month).
Good luck
Phil

Old 10-29-2014, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Default Chip Tuning etc

Aaah . . . answered my questions also, Phil. But then . . . maybe I'm best to PM you about the fuller details of work you had done. Based on your experience, I think I'll schedule a meet with Robert at Chip Tuning when I can next get to Sydney. I've dillied and dallied because the car is running so perfectly . . . you know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Phil; would you consider putting together a brief recommendation post into the thread here NSW&ACT Suppliers of Spare Parts and/or Services.

I keep hearing good reports about the firm's work, and feel I need to meet up, find out more of the detail. On a different but related note, given your experiences (on the Hay Plains?), I too would be far from impressed with Jaguar's warranty offer and weak assurances(?) about the benefits of a new for old DPF replacement.

Best wishes,
Ken

Old 10-29-2014, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

Phil,
My XFS puts out 600nm stock, and I have fitted a tuning chip which claims to increase this by 20%, in theory to 720nm. So allowing for some poetic license and going by my 'seat of the pants' dyno, I reckon it's putting out around 680nm. And that's with the DPF still in place. I'm still tossing up whether to keep my car long term and remove the DPF, or get a new XF or XE or F-type. I'd really like an F-type, but my XFS is running like a dream and costing me next to nothing (not a single problem in over a year of ownership) so I reckon I'll give it a year or two before I decide.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:15 PM

Just posting so that I become subscribed to the thread.

Wish I knew how to do it properly

Cheers

Old 10-30-2014, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Had my 2.7 remapped as soon as I bought it, only an hour old...lol

Went from around 204bhp up to 245bhp iirc and 500nm rings a bell

For a big ole girl she certainly moves when you press the loud pedal, no issues none at all.

Any diesel owner should seriously consider it for performance and economy gains when driven normally.

I've now had this done on around 4 cars, My Ford Mondeo ST Tdci 155 - 195 bhp, Saab 1.9Tdi Vector Sport from 140 - 176bhp, My Audi A6 and of course the Jag

ronbros (11-05-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 PM

can't complain when you get better power and better fuel economy as well right?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Default Navigating . . . or up creek WITH paddle!

Originally Posted by Chip Tuning
Just posting so that I become subscribed to the thread.

Wish I knew how to do it properly

Cheers
Hey Robert . . . HELP is charging towards you right now!

At the head of each thread (not individual posts) is a sub-menu bar (rather like the main menu bar) which includes among its drop down options [Thread Tools]. Navigate down to [Subscribe to this Thread]. Click and its done. Return later and you will find the presence of small green tick to flag subscription . . . after which this [Thread Tools] option changes to [Unsubscribe . . .] if you ever so wish.

I am guessing you have found the [Main Menu Bar] option [Quick Links] with all its options including jumps to[Private Messages] and [Subscriptions]. Any further help, just YELL.

Best wishes,
Ken

Quick Reply: DPF+ EGR cutouts + remaps in Australia?