Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

EGR blanking. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Leedsman
if you are worried about the content of bio diesel which you are right they are adding it in all western country's try some TC-W3 outboard oil in it I use a ratio of 300 to 1 which works out to 3.1 ml per litre its not much it will lubricate the pumps and keep corrosion in the lines down at 3.1 ml per litre it couldn't do any harm that's what I figured in my Jeep and Citroen before the Jeep the Jeep also has piezo injectors very expensive part if they break the Jeep already has 200,000 on the odometer it will see a million in my hands unless it gets written of in an accident do some research on 2 stroke in diesel on the net there is a lot here is a link to a guy that got me started in researching it before I tried itFreel2.com - View topic - 2-stroke oil and diesel
I wont stop using it now I even use it in my XJR at a ratio of 500 to 1 which is 1.9 ml per litre the old XJR has a new found performance and smoothness but that is another story for the XJR board (LOL)

Old 06-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi its me again re my jaguar x type 20 black smoke pouring out of the exhast I took it to the main agent and it was put on the machine which came up with a fault the turbo Jaguar wanted £2,780 to fit a new one so didnt take them up on there offer had it done elsewhere for £520 but it wasnt that its still the same .I have now had the Map sensor the Maf sensor the cam sensor the intercooler and the EGR valve changed and of course now the turbo,I am running out of options can anyone out there help.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:38 AM

I had this problem, turned out to be a split in the turbo boost pipe but was really hard to find as it split underneath. I took off the boost pipe from the inlet manifold and the turbo, blanked off one end and made a blank with a tyre valve in the other. Presurrized it with a tyre inflator and found the leak dead easy.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:40 AM
Default cascar

Hi knights 19 thank you for your reply have checked with the mecanic who changed the turbo he said he checked all relevent hoses and apparently they were ok cant argue with him as one would hope he knows what hes talking about.as a last ditch attempt have now fitted a egr blank plate and have taken off the air filter am going to take it on a run and see what happens next need something soon as it goes for a mot soon Watch this space

Old 06-10-2014, 12:59 AM

Yes but the splits are really hard to find, I couldn't find it when I looked and it only leaks under boost pressure from the turbo, hence the black smoke as the air is leaking out but the same amount of fuel is being injected. It wasn't until I made some blanking ends out of aerosol caps so I could pressurize the system that I could find the split and even then I could hear the leak but it was hard to find as it was right underneath the pipe off the intercooler.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Default cascar

Hi knights19 thank you for your input to my last post i fitted the egr blanking plate with a 10mill hole and took it for a run down the A3 didnt seem to make alot of difference our only consulation was we followed a BMW 07 plate and it was a hundred times worse then mine since doing the aforesaid run i must say it has been some what better not perfect you understand but better it is going in on thursday for its service and a MOT which it proberly wont pass while its there i will ask the same mecanic to look again at the hoses/ pipes under the intercooler on reflection maybe it was what you suggested and it didnt need a new intercooler at all.I will post results after thursday and once again thanks.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Default cascar

Hi just an update on my problem with the jag,It went in for its service and MOT and it passed which I wasnt expecting guy said hes seen worse than mine so was quite happy it has been alot better not so much smoke and the mpg has gone up aswell will run it for a month and see what happens its not completly right but time will tell .Thank you for your advice it was much appreciated.Oh almost forgot he again said he couldnt find any splits in the hose so will wait and see what happens next Thanks again Knight19 will give an update in a month.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:40 AM
Question cascar

Hi its me again just an update on my jag today iv removed the blanking plate on the EGR Valve still have a problem can anyone tell me why I have alot of sludge in the manifold is the oil coming from the breather cant think of anything else it could be .Can anyone help. Cascar

Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM
doc

Originally Posted by cascar
Hi its me again just an update on my jag today iv removed the blanking plate on the EGR Valve still have a problem can anyone tell me why I have alot of sludge in the manifold is the oil coming from the breather cant think of anything else it could be .Can anyone help. Cascar
Its the crankcase vent oil mixing with EGR gas

The black stuff will kill the engine doesn't matter what diesel engine EGR,s are a problem on all diesels that's why the later model ones run a urea injection instead of EGR valves

On all my diesel with electronic EGR valves I have a flash tune fitted that switches of the EGR
I then run n a few cans of Wynn's egr3 Wynn Oil UK
got some good results

As long as its got an EGR valve that's what is going to happen

I also fit a Mann hummel provent 200 as well to the crankcase catch can vent there are other on the market but the Mann hummel stuff is the best as well
Only then will your diesel run the way it should
do some research on EGR problems not just on this forum all diesels worldwide have problems with EGR valves also look up provent 200 by Mann hummel and see how many diesel guys are fitting them

Old 07-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Default cascar

Thanks Doc will investigate Mann Hummel provent 200 and Wynn oil and let you know any progress i make am going to put blanking plate back with an 8mm hole instead of the 10mm i have now for the time being until i find out more I guess you can get them in the UK ?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 AM
doc

I am sure they are available in the UK diesels are big in europe and UK so only logical to sell them

Old 07-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

You can probably get them (all this EGR modification stuff is illegal here, but of course you know that, right. Be sure to tell your insurer).

Old 07-13-2014, 04:39 AM
Question Cascar

Thanks JagV8 for the info on the EGR Problem think I may go down another Route Selling!! Im so disappointed with this car Iv spent thousands on it already iv nearly replaced everything on it now and iv still got black smoke I know diesals omit black smoke but not like this.The question is do I get another Jag not sure at the moment will have to think on that. Cascar

Old 07-13-2014, 05:46 AM
doc

I love these diesels the EGR is the problem plain and simple My Jeep blows no black smoke even when you bury your foot but like I said I run a flash tune with EGR delete and a provent

I also run TC-W3 2 stroke oil in the fuel at a ratio of 200 to one

I have just been driving my new work van a Renault trafic 115 dci cant wait to get a tune in it and get rid of the EGR and make it come alive its a bit brain dead at the moment considering i stepped from a tuned 1.9DCI early model van that I wrote of a couple months ago the new one is pathetic even though its a newer engine bigger capacity it needs a tune

Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

All that's happening here is that air quality is dire and action being taken (very very late, which is why there is action in the courts). With diesels emitting roughly 20 times more PM & NOx than petrols they're having to fit EGR, DPF, etc. Nothing surprising. An outright ban on diesels was presumably considered unacceptable for whatever reason. Countries that don't have such problems (or don't care) may go on without the pollution-reducing devices I guess. I expect that here no foreseeable-future diesel will be allowed to leave off DPF etc. (They've cut speed limits on some roads in the hope of improving air quality. So far we've not gone the French route of restricting cars to alternate days, dependent on the number plate.) People with longer memories will be aware we banned dirty coal in open fires and went "smokeless" for just the same kinds of reasons. We no longer have the "pea-soupers" in London and elsewhere but we now have serious smog. Instead of coal fires it's now vehicles.

update: our government has had to file in the European court that the air quality in various major cities (London, Leeds, Birmingham, ...) is "unlikely to meet EU standards before 2030" (source: BBC). No rush, the deadline was 2010...

Last edited by JagV8; 07-14-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Default cascar

hi its me again can anyone tell me if after having a new turbo fitted i have to have the ECU re-programmed as still having problems with Black Smoke

Old 07-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

a side note here!

about 10 yrs back, a private meeting of very high level people,each excess 20 billion $,

came to the conclusion on vehicle pollution would be a complete ban on any personal transportation, that emits any exhaust of any type.

possible they had stock in electric transportation.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member

If it was private how do you know? Wow, talk about conspiracy (or pointless) theory!

Current topic here is a plan to bring in an extra charge (monetary payment) for driving a diesel car in London (other big cities likely to have to follow, simply to get their air pollution down).

Old 02-20-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by snoopsmydogg
Apologies if this has been asked before but i have been trying to find an answer.

Got a call earlier from the other half to say that the x-type is running rough, has no power and giving out lots of black smoke. Luckily I had already booked time off work today to get on with some work on our other car (land rover 110) so off i go to wifeys work place and pick up the Jag.

Started fine but had no power between 1-2k revs while trying to stall when pulling away and so much smoke that traffic actually started to slow down (maybe thinking it was going to blow up). A quick search gave a few suggestions, blocked filters, egr valve or split intercooler hose.

Air filter didnt look too old so off came the egr to find that the bore was almost half what it should be due to the amount of crud in there . Cleaned up the egr but have found the valve itself was quite sticky and i had to close it manually before the car would actually run again so thinking it may need replacing. I have since had the engine management light come on with code F0404 that had to be reset.

A bit of searching on ebay has started showing up these blanking kits that will work with your engine whether your egr is good or not. Will a blanking kit help as the car is running better than ever at the minute? im worried if the egr is gone then i am going to keep getting the management light coming on or will the kit help stop this too?

Oh its a 2005 2.0d if that makes any difference.
Get your car a set of new egr cooler system, and replace the old one, that is the only thing you should do.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

hahaha - that post is nearly 5 years old!!

Quick Reply: EGR blanking. Is it worth it?