E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Changing Series 3 bonnet to Series 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Series 3 bonnet to Series 2

Following from message yesterday, I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to convert a Series 3 bonnet (currently on my S2 E-type) back to a Series 2?Looks like separate S2 wings are available, would that work?!

Old 10-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_pomeroy
Following from message yesterday, I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to convert a Series 3 bonnet (currently on my S2 E-type) back to a Series 2?Looks like separate S2 wings are available, would that work?!
Hello Mark,
Has the existing S3 bonnet have the correct S3 lower valance panel as shown below, or was it originally a S2 bonnet with only S3 wings fitted?

If the existing is a complete S3 bonnet and you want to convert completely to S2, you will need to change the Lower Valance as well. I'm guessing that what exists now is a S2 with S3 guards, as the air ducting on the inside/underside of the bonnet is quite different between S2 and S3. Accordingly, you should be able to swap the wings. A few pictures of the inside of the existing bonnet will be helpful to be able to advise you better.

Regards,

Brent

The following users liked this post:
Mark_pomeroy (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 03:34 PM

Thanks so much again Brent. Please see attached pictures. I'd love to know what you thought... Thanks again!

Old 10-17-2016, 04:14 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=Mark_pomeroy;1552958]Thanks so much again Brent. Please see attached pictures. I'd love to know what you thought... Thanks again!/QUOTE]
Hello Mark,
What you have there is a whole, late model, S3 bonnet, complete with the ugly late model bumper bar over-riders. The part indicated by the Red arrow below is a push rod (two of them, one either side) that extends from the b/bar over-riders and abut aluminum pad attached to the front of the picture frame of an S3 car.

This car is a two seater coupe that has the windscreen washer heads on the scuttle panel. On an S3 car (Coupe and OTS) these are mounted on the bonnet. Accordingly, if they no longer exist on the bonnet, the mounting holes have been closed by some means.

If you want to convert back to a complete S2 bonnet (the best choice in my opinion), because there are significant differences in the air ducting attached to the inside of the bonnet and as you will require a S2 Lower Valance, I would be attempting to obtain a complete S2 bonnet and sell the S3 bonnet to offset the cost.

Regards,

Brent

Last edited by bkeats; 10-17-2016 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:37 AM

Like to get rid of 4 carbs and replace with throttle body or intake injectors. I caught a picture of a dual quad Intake manifold that sat in the V of the v12" of course it would mean modifying the bonnet, which I don't want to do. I've read here that someone has been working on throttle body injection. appreciate any ideas. Thanks. PS I have 1977 v12 engine complete, just don't have the body wire harness