E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

E-Type Fuel, Temp, Oil, Ammeter Gauge Wiring Diagram Symbols

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Type Fuel, Temp, Oil, Ammeter Gauge Wiring Diagram Symbols

My name is Craig S. Nelson, US Navy (ret). I am currently a 5th year senior at McPherson College in Kansas and will graduate in May 2016 with a B.S. in Automotive Restoration Management and a B.S. in Automotive Restoration Technology.

I am currently interning at a shop for the summer, started last month, and must depart in early August. The goal is to finish the electrical and final assembly before I leave on a '67 E-Type Series 1.5 OTS with the 4.2L engine.

The original E-Type wiring diagram from the service manual is great and have completed about 90% of the cars wiring using this particular diagram.

HOWEVER.........

The symbol used for the 4 center gauges........ammeter, fuel, temp, and oil are all exactly the same and show the needle symbol pointing upward like the gauge was upside down. This is important to know which lead to connect certain wires to, especially for the ammeter,

My pics below are designed to ask in an illustrated way which is correct regarding gauge connections on the E-Type........."Gauge Orientation Down" or "Gauge Orientation Up"???

I can always be reached at (619) 944-8971 or nelscra@bulldog.mcpherson.edu.

Attached Thumbnails E-Type Fuel, Temp, Oil, Ammeter Gauge Wiring Diagram Symbols-gauge-orientation-down.jpg   E-Type Fuel, Temp, Oil, Ammeter Gauge Wiring Diagram Symbols-gauge-orientation-up.jpg   E-Type Fuel, Temp, Oil, Ammeter Gauge Wiring Diagram Symbols-series-1-wiring-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by CraigNelson; 07-30-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigNelson

The symbol used for the 4 center gauges........ammeter, fuel, temp, and oil are all exactly the same and show the needle symbol pointing upward like the gauge was upside down. This is important to know which lead to connect certain wires to, especially for the ammeter,
You will find an unmistakeable connector on the gauge that will be for ground, either Positive or Negative Earth (in your case it should be Negative Earth). You can confirm this with a multi-meter set to test for continuance and test for continuance between the suspected Earth connector of the gauge and the housing of the gauge. The wire from the various Sender Units, such as Oil Pressure, Water Temp etc., will connect to the Earth connector of the gauge. The other connector will connect to the wire that comes from the Voltage Regulator for the gauges. Accordingly, when trouble shooting gauge or sender problems, the gauge can be eliminated by shorting the wire that connects the Earth connector of the gauge to the sender, straight to Earth. If the gauge is OK and there are no breaks in either wire, then the gauge should peg out to its max reading.

Regards,

Brent

Last edited by bkeats; 07-31-2015 at 01:19 AM.