E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Need to sleeve 3.8 block

Old 03-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to sleeve 3.8 block

I live in SE Michigan and am looking for someone who can replace the cylinder sleeves in my 64 e-type 3.8 block.
Thanks

Old 03-08-2015, 08:33 AM
Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

The block does not have sleeves. Is it too damaged to be bored?

Old 03-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

3.8L engines are capable to be rebored up to 6 times by Jag standards. Most books will tell you how much to bore. There are 6 different piston options for the boring. You have 3 heads, 6 piston sizes and 3 cams available for 3.4/3.8 blocks. I would rebore and replace pistons before sleeving. Find how much you need to bore and buy pistons before taking to shop as they will bore to piston size.

Last edited by Jagfixer; 03-08-2015 at 11:02 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-09-2015, 07:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased new sleeves for my 50 year old e-type from SNG Barrett (great to work with and sponsor of this board) and had my local machine shop (who has been in business for longer) remove the old sleeves and install the new ones. I had made up the special tool shown in the service manual for pressing out the old sleeves, but they were too "stuck" from all the years in the same position for the press to successfully remove them. The old ones had to be cut/bored out and any competent machine shop knows how to do this. Installation and boring/honing of the new sleeves was straight forward.

The sleeves from SNG Barrett were of the correct length unlike the sleeves of similar size readily available from Melling which most machine shops use. I believe the ones from SNG are imported from England. The Melling ones are shorter fractionally than Jaguar specification.

When I lived in Michigan I used to have my engine machine work done in Ann Arbor by a shop that had been in business for a long, long time. Alas, I cannot remember the name, but a search doesn't bring up anything familiar sounding, so they may have moved. I would shop around and visit a local shop and talk to the owner about what you want to have done.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info - I appreciate it. I found a really good machine shop this week that says the scratches in the cylinder walls can be completely removed by just honing .001"- .0015". They do business with a company that can replicate my pistons via CNC but increase the diameter slightly to achieve the appropriate fit. The set of pistons only cost around $800. I'm going to give that a try.

Originally Posted by mooney1el
I purchased new sleeves for my 50 year old e-type from SNG Barrett (great to work with and sponsor of this board) and had my local machine shop (who has been in business for longer) remove the old sleeves and install the new ones. I had made up the special tool shown in the service manual for pressing out the old sleeves, but they were too "stuck" from all the years in the same position for the press to successfully remove them. The old ones had to be cut/bored out and any competent machine shop knows how to do this. Installation and boring/honing of the new sleeves was straight forward.

The sleeves from SNG Barrett were of the correct length unlike the sleeves of similar size readily available from Melling which most machine shops use. I believe the ones from SNG are imported from England. The Melling ones are shorter fractionally than Jaguar specification.

When I lived in Michigan I used to have my engine machine work done in Ann Arbor by a shop that had been in business for a long, long time. Alas, I cannot remember the name, but a search doesn't bring up anything familiar sounding, so they may have moved. I would shop around and visit a local shop and talk to the owner about what you want to have done.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Have you checked our pistons out online?
Mahle available in various oversizes $500 - $550 pet set. We also offer liner and flanged liners.

Feel free to call 1800 452 4787 to discuss.

Last edited by SNG Barratt USA; 03-11-2015 at 12:49 PM.