E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

S1 E-Type LED upgrade for Stop/Tail and Indicators: Any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:24 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default S1 E-Type LED upgrade for Stop/Tail and Indicators: Any experience?

Hi,
I'm looking at upgrading my S1 E-Type stop/tail and indicator lights to LED. It seems that there are two likely options for stop/tail, a kit as sold by Welsh in the US or replacement globes as sold by bettercarlighting in the UK, who also have LEDs for the indicators. My car has amber lenses for the indicators by the way.
I would appreciate comments from anyone who has experience with either of these options or any other.
Traffic and other driver behaviour is not improving so the more obvious I can make the brakes and indicators the better.
Thanks

Old 08-31-2016, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I'm no help on this, but I too would be super interested to know.

I put LEDs in my aging 911, and also in my Pantera, both with kits made for the car (obviously adapted by smart people out of existing items) and they work very well. Makes me feel a bit safer, and visibility is a huge difference.

Would love that same margin for the E type.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:48 PM

I've ordered the bettercarlighting UK solution. Shall let you know my thoughts after I receive and install the LEDs. Cost about 100 UK Pounds including postage to Australia for brake/stop, indicators and front sidelights.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by bazjag
I've ordered the bettercarlighting UK solution. Shall let you know my thoughts after I receive and install the LEDs. Cost about 100 UK Pounds including postage to Australia for brake/stop, indicators and front sidelights.
I have used their LED's for my interior instruments. FYI, DO NOT buy the LED bulb kit from XK's Unlimited! Those are the cheapest POS bulbs that do not last and are made cheaply from China! I have had a lot of bad customer service issues from XK's and now I will NEVER buy anything from them. While they have unique kits like Wilwood brake upgrades, power steering upgrades etc.; you can get those brake upgrades & power steering rack upgrade with better designs from Jag Outlet in San Louis Obispo, CA FYI they are a great source for not only used parts as they are a Jaguar only wrecking yard but they sell virtually all new parts and many that are NOT on their website so ask for Terry and he will take care of you.
http://www.jagoutlet.com/

I have a good recommendation if any of you want upgrade the front headlights to LED's. Yes my car is a 3.8s but it uses the same headlights. I used the Vision X 7" LED with their relay kit so that on high beam all 5 elements light up. They are lifetime warranty, fully legal in all countries, and are the brightest lights I have seen.

I also used these license plate bolt/lights which provide a great extra rear brake light that is hidden but puts out a great bright extra LED to prevent those tailgaters
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another great LED upgrade was this hidden back up light that you barely notice below the license plate frame and give a nice bright rear back up light.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I highly recommend these two LED upgrades and by far my favorite is the 7" LED headlights. Yes they are not cheap but today the factory Xenon and upgrade lights on most cars are way more expensive. These lights make it so much safer to run hard thru the mountain passes, etc. and look great.
https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...-low-high-halo

Attached Thumbnails S1 E-Type LED upgrade for Stop/Tail and Indicators: Any experience?-img_0870.jpg   S1 E-Type LED upgrade for Stop/Tail and Indicators: Any experience?-img_0879.jpg   S1 E-Type LED upgrade for Stop/Tail and Indicators: Any experience?-img_1218.jpg  

Last edited by primaz; 09-01-2016 at 09:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bazjag (09-02-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 05:52 PM

Finally received the LED replacements for stop/tail, indicators and front park lights. Wrong indicator bulbs initially supplied but bettercarlighting remedied without further cost to me. Not the cheapest option but quality seems high and I'm happy with the result. Used orange leds for the indicators and red for stop/tail. Electronic flasher unit also installed as advised but I see that my aftermarket hazard light switch uses an 'electro-mechanical' unit and that still works. The dashboard indicator telltales are not as bright as before the led conversion (still original bulbs). Overall I'm happy with the result.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just added LED bulbs to my repro Lucas PL 700s in my 1965 E Type OTS. The Series 1 headlamp buckets are very small so most LED bulbs will be too long and will contact the back of the bucket.
The first set I tried were too long but they fit my Pantera......so there they now reside. The set that fit perfect were from Classic Dynamo and Regulator in the UK. They are just a couple of millimetres longer than the standard H4 bulb.
The difference is quite dramatic from my halogen bulbs and the current draw is minimal. I also added LEDs to my stop lights (Sylvania Zevo) and LEDs to my forward running light (Luyed) and licence lights (Luyed).
The Luyeds are very bright and are available on Amazon.....and inexpensive.
I kept a set of incandescent in the front turn signal so I did not need to change the flasher unit.