E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Wheel and Tire choice of the pros

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel and Tire choice of the pros

My 67 E is to be driven, not concours champ. As such, considering wheel and tire options, hoping for input -

From searches it appears that the drivers wheel choice is SS wires in 6" front and rear. Good choice? (Curly hub is my preferred look, though car came with straight hubs, fair condition)

Tire sizes in 205 x 15s?

Tire brand for advised size?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:31 AM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AHudson
My 67 E is to be driven, not concours champ. As such, considering wheel and tire options, hoping for input -

From searches it appears that the drivers wheel choice is SS wires in 6" front and rear. Good choice? (Curly hub is my preferred look, though car came with straight hubs, fair condition)

Tire sizes in 205 x 15s?

Tire brand for advised size?

Any input greatly appreciated.
I've been running 205/70R15 on 6"-wide wheels for several years with good results. I won't quote tire brand since that usually morphs into theological discussions (anyway, my specific tires are no longer available).

I did get fed up with 40 years of keeping chrome wire wheels looking good, so I switched to D-Type sorta-replica alloy knock-off wheels. They have been a delight:
Dunlop Style Wheels

Old 07-01-2015, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by SCMike
I've been running 205/70R15 on 6"-wide wheels for several years with good results. I won't quote tire brand since that usually morphs into theological discussions (anyway, my specific tires are no longer available).

I did get fed up with 40 years of keeping chrome wire wheels looking good, so I switched to D-Type sorta-replica alloy knock-off wheels. They have been a delight:
Dunlop Style Wheels
Amazingly enough, my initial vision for the car was hardtop, Dunlop disc wheels. I've done a couple streetable, reversible mods on the car (ss headers, header tank, electronic ignition, hi torque starter, shoulder harnesses, heat insulation, etc) but have nearly lost my nerve on the exterior components.

Your post is an encouragement!

I love the Dtype discs. They're not exactly a budget item however, and we're in the '11th hour' stage of a 2 year resto, so choices are coming more dear. I am intrigued by the photos however...

Old 07-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 205/70R15 Vredestien on the stock 5" wide W/W on my 69 FHC. No problems with clearance but I'm not too keen on the tires. I'm going to buy new chrome Dayton 5" wide W/W and install either Dunlop or Avon 185VR15 tires.

On your car I'd buy standard 5" wide Dayton curly hub chrome W/W and install the same tires above.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My car ('70 OTS) came from the PO with relatively new Dunlop 205/15's....I personally think it's the wrong tire for the car, as steering effort is increased...I would prefer either 185's or 195's....Brand wise, I think Michelin still makes the truest tire, both in concentricity, and along the sides...Not sure if you can get them, but you might check with Coker or Universal.
Edward

Old 07-13-2015, 05:27 PM

Thanks all.

The only Michelin I could find in 205/70x15 world at the moment was for "minivans and small crossovers"
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

I ended up getting a Dunlop tire in the above size here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

They're rated slightly better on dry handling and overall performance. Will mount on 6" wide ww with ss spokes.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AHudson
Thanks all.

The only Michelin I could find in 205/70x15 world at the moment was for "minivans and small crossovers"
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

I ended up getting a Dunlop tire in the above size here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

They're rated slightly better on dry handling and overall performance. Will mount on 6" wide ww with ss spokes.
Let us know if you think the steering effort is relatively high...That has been my impression of the tire.
Still think 195's are a better choice...
Edward

Old 07-15-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Barry
Let us know if you think the steering effort is relatively high...That has been my impression of the tire.
Still think 195's are a better choice...
Edward
Thanks Edward, will do. I'll probably overinflate them to pretend I didn't make a bad choice! Who knows... put in an aluminum radiator. fill the tires with helium to minimize the weight.

Anyway, right now my head is leaning toward the 'improved' stance (to my eye) of a little more meat on the ground and in the wheelwells. We shall see!

Thanks again folks. Car will make its debut at Santa Fe Concours where I will actually see the finished product for the first time. Will start a different thread for that, but just getting excited and repeating myself already!

Old 11-28-2017, 06:45 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Mr Barry, I'm up for new Dayton /tubeless/tires as well.
My series two ran 205/70/15's for 20 years. 6inch of coarse.
I'm just asking as on my new 66 series one, the originals are way to small and non handling after 50 mph with modern drivers on the road.
Its been hashed a million times but I'm getting the Michelin defender t+h have diamond back shave the letters off the sides and drive like a Lincoln town car.!
Has anyone with a series one had bump stop issues, Is the 205 still it?
I average 6,000 miles per year , so four years or so and they are done.
GTJOEY1314

Last edited by gtjoey; 11-28-2017 at 08:25 AM.