E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Where else to get parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry Where else to get parts?

I have been buying from SNG, but their shipping charges are outrageous!....
Just got a new bonnet catch ($22), and they charged me $15 for shipping....
It weighs about 4 oz.! Sorry, that's just ridiculous. Last package I got cost over $30 for shipping less than $100 worth of parts.
Now looking for a less expensive alternative....

Edward

Old 09-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

In my experience you have to shop SNG, Terry's and XKS (feels like I'm forgetting one) for anything you need. The prices tend to vary widely for the same part and then as you've found shipping comes into play. Sometimes it's better to ship multiple items, sometimes not.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:34 AM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the same issue regarding shipping costs but I even had $20 border handling added as well. If you ask to have items shipped USPS it is much better.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:37 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Barry
I have been buying from SNG, but their shipping charges are outrageous!....
Just got a new bonnet catch ($22), and they charged me $15 for shipping....
It weighs about 4 oz.! Sorry, that's just ridiculous. Last package I got cost over $30 for shipping less than $100 worth of parts.
Now looking for a less expensive alternative....

Edward

Mr Barry - Please give me a call regarding your order and I shall check the shipping charges applied. Usually for smaller parts we advise priority or regular mail as apposed to UPS as this is both quick and cheap. A bonnet catch should cost you no more than $3 in shipping via USPS or $8 USPS Priority. Of course shipping is not based on total value of goods it is based on weight/dimensions of the package.

Also if you do not already; be sure to mention JF and get a 10% discount off your order.

Kind Regards

William@SngBarratt.Com
1800 452 4787 Extension 215

Last edited by SNG Barratt USA; 09-19-2014 at 07:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SNG Barratt USA:
JimC64 (09-20-2014), Mr. Barry (09-20-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Don't blame the parts house for high shipping prices. UPS, FedEx, USPS are in shipping for the money. If you need parts, try bundling parts for single shipping. Unless you have a need for immediate, then pay extra. Watch for sales for future parts needed and order accordingly and ask for the cheapest shipping ( won't be here tomorrow ) and wait. Have you tried driving to get a part locally. Still costs fuel and time, even though you do not charge yourself time. An AutoZone trip for me will cost $5 for fuel , $ for wear and tear , another couple $s for car insurance and if you make $25 an hour at work, then it cost you figuratively near $40 to make trip to local AutoZone. Therefore shipping across country is cheap at any cost.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagfixer:
JimC64 (09-20-2014), SNG Barratt USA (09-19-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jagfixer
Don't blame the parts house for high shipping prices. UPS, FedEx, USPS are in shipping for the money. If you need parts, try bundling parts for single shipping. Unless you have a need for immediate, then pay extra. Watch for sales for future parts needed and order accordingly and ask for the cheapest shipping ( won't be here tomorrow ) and wait. Have you tried driving to get a part locally. Still costs fuel and time, even though you do not charge yourself time. An AutoZone trip for me will cost $5 for fuel , $ for wear and tear , another couple $s for car insurance and if you make $25 an hour at work, then it cost you figuratively near $40 to make trip to local AutoZone. Therefore shipping across country is cheap at any cost.
I have been ordering car parts from various companies for 50 years or so...I think I understand shipping charges....
In this case, I specifically asked for the cheapest rate possible , and the order taker said he could send it via US mail....I thought that is what would happen, but it came via UPS.
Edward

Old 09-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by SNG Barratt USA
Mr Barry - Please give me a call regarding your order and I shall check the shipping charges applied. Usually for smaller parts we advise priority or regular mail as apposed to UPS as this is both quick and cheap. A bonnet catch should cost you no more than $3 in shipping via USPS or $8 USPS Priority. Of course shipping is not based on total value of goods it is based on weight/dimensions of the package.

Also if you do not already; be sure to mention JF and get a 10% discount off your order.
Kind Regards
William@SngBarratt.Com
1800 452 4787 Extension 215
Excellent from SNG imo

A vendor that helps to support the forum, offers free prize draws from time to time, seems to have almost a 100% backing from any forum members I see, their famous parts catalogue AND they monitor the site answering any issues that may arise.

Certainly all good imo and feel sure that if you contact them Edward they'll resolve your issue.

Hope to hear

Jim

Old 09-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I do tons of on-line auto parts buying and also ship a fair number of auto parts to others, so I have a fairly good idea of what constitutes reasonable shipping charges. And some on-line vendors don't have reasonable shipping charges.

By 'reasonable' I don't mean absolute cheapest. I simply mean an amount that doesn't make my eyes bulge out. :-)

In some cases where I've come across crazy shipping costs I have to think there's a problem with the software programming that calculates shipping. In fact, just a couple weeks ago I came across an outrageous shipping price on a Corvette part and wrote in the comments section "Shipping charge outrageous". When I received the part I saw that I had been re-invoiced as well....with about a 75% reduction in shipping charge. I'll never know if the reduction was a result of my comment.

Anyhow, if something doesn't look right, say something ! Your next move will be guided by the vendor's response.

In some cases pricing on the actual product (auto parts or whatever) is so competitive that vendors must look at shipping charges to return a decent profit on the transaction. I get that, and I certainly have no objection to any business making a fair profit. But, still, the pricing must look reasonable or I'll go elsewhere in most cases.

My real pet peeve, though, is the shipping charges for a tiny clip or widget that's the size of a paperclip. There is absolutly no reason whatsoever that such an item can't be slipped into a small padded envelope with 75-cents postage attached. Add a couple dollars 'handling charge' if you must. No problem. I'll pay. But don't have the gall to tell me that it's company policy that such items *must* be packaged in a cardboard box and shipped out with a $10-$12 shipping charge.

Company policy dictates the widget 'must' be shipped that way? "MUST"? Really? What-a-crock-of-****, eh? What happens if you don't do so? Does the sky fall? Does God smote you? Does the Ministry of Oversized Carboard Boxes come along an issue a citation? Good grief.

Rant over

Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Whoaaa, steady there Doug....lol

Sometimes there are companies as Doug says, that make a small add on profit to carriage, others do it at cost

I sometimes ship parts from Italy to the UK to my end user customers.
My supplier always charges me a packing fee!!!
This depending on the part / parts, sizes and weights etc can be anwhere from 15 euro up to recently one I had for 175 euro, then the shipping on top.

The shipping price for the last order was 510 euro so 685 euro total just for packing / shipping, this worked out at around £545

We generally don't add anything on, packing / shipping is at cost but I charged my customer £560
This was to allow for any small changes in currency fluctuation that may occur.

Personally, I would always question shipping charges

Old 09-20-2014, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagfixer
Don't blame the parts house for high shipping prices.
I see no reason to avoid blaming the vendor if charges are obviously excessive or a result of an unreasonable policy!

UPS, FedEx, USPS are in shipping for the money.
Obviously

If you need parts, try bundling parts for single shipping. Unless you have a need for immediate, then pay extra. Watch for sales for future parts needed and order accordingly and ask for the cheapest shipping ( won't be here tomorrow ) and wait.
A good parts buying strategy can indeed save you some money, yes.

Have you tried driving to get a part locally. Still costs fuel and time, even though you do not charge yourself time. An AutoZone trip for me will cost $5 for fuel , $ for wear and tear , another couple $s for car insurance and if you make $25 an hour at work, then it cost you figuratively near $40 to make trip to local AutoZone. Therefore shipping across country is cheap at any cost.
Sure, if I'm buying a part from the east coast UPS can get it to me for a lot less money than I'd spend if I jumped into may Jag and made the 6000 mile round trip myself. I get that.
However, the fact that it would cost me more to do it myself doesn't mean that I'll gladly pay an unreasonable or uncompetitive amount to have someone else do it.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 09-20-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Point well taken Doug. My XJ6 had a fire in a parking lot. Fortunately I got it out with no harm. A wire had shorted on the throttle cable welding inner cable. We were to leave next morning for Fla. and I called a parts store in California at 3PM cdt and next morning was on doorstep and installed before 9AM cdt. Sure cost me $50 for overnight UPS, but the dealer wanted $50 for part and had to order, besides the 2 hr round trip. Grateful to the expensive shipper UPS.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:21 AM

I have emailed SNG with my customer # and invoice #, and look forward to a positive outcome....
If I had been in a hurry, and ordered the part via some express service, I would understand the cost involved...In this case, having specifically asked for cheapest way possible, and having the person taking the order acknowledge that request, I was naturally surprised to see a shipping cost that represented about 65% of the cost of the part....

Anyway, I'm not knocking the company, just bringing a problem out in the open, with hopes that this and other shipping costs , can be brought under control for future orders.

I was in the retail business for many years, and shipped packages all over the world....My profits were built into the products, not into the shipping....In fact, we shipped free , when the customer spent more than a certain amount of money....Customers appreciate fair shipping charges...I am not looking for something for nothing, just fair shipping charges.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Barry
I was in the retail business for many years, and shipped packages all over the world....My profits were built into the products, not into the shipping....
I hear ya.

The internet has changed a lot of things in the retail world. Consumers now 'shop' the same product 10-20-50 vendors in 2 minutes, making pricing hyper-competitive....and forcing vendors to look elsewhere....like shipping... for profit margins. And, if they don't get carried away, they can get away with it.

In fact, we shipped free , when the customer spent more than a certain amount of money....

Some still do. I get such offers fairly often

Customers appreciate fair shipping charges...I am not looking for something for nothing, just fair shipping charges.

Exactly.

You can shave a sheep a hundred times but you can skin him only once

Cheers
DD

Old 09-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Recently I've only used SNG with on-line ordering, so I don't know if phone orders are handled differently. Upon making an order, I always get a follow-up e-mail from SNG stating what the precise shipping costs will be, and more importantly, asking me to approve that order before it is shipped. So I have never gotten a "surprise". Sounds like something fell between the cracks - I'm guessing that SNG will make things right.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (09-22-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 11:20 AM

Just to update the thread further....
I was contacted via email by SNG, and they have graciously refunded a portion of the shipping charge....
I appreciate this, and it shows that the company is interested in every customer....
In the future, I will insist on USPO shipping, whenever possible.
Thanks all for your input, and thanks to SNG for the quick response.
Edward Wesson

The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Barry:
JimC64 (09-22-2014), SNG Barratt USA (09-22-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Kudos to SNG once again, thanks for sharing