E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

XK-E Supercharger, BriggsCunningham

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK-E Supercharger, BriggsCunningham

This is unusual, but I will try to keep it short. For several years, I have had a Latham Supercharger kicking around after I bought it at auction. I finally decided to post it on eBay, saying I wasn't sure of it's application.
Latham Supercharger | eBay

Almost immediately, I was contacted by the present owner of Latham Superchargers (now axialflow engineering). He told me that it was a unit designed for a Jaguar, and that he had a "hunch" that it was originally fitted to Briggs Cunningham's E-type. His reasoning was as follows, Norm Lathrop and Briggs Cunningham were close friends, very few Jaguar units were produced, they he knows of only one existing on an XK 150 in Ohio, I had purchased from the estate of an "English Car Collector" who lived near Briggs Cunningham. There was a time he could have identified it by the serial number as to purchaser and application; but in moving the company, those records were lost. If you look at my eBay post, you will see that he believes that what I describe as a "runner" was not original. He has retracted that opinion, and now says it is original.
I then contacted the Cunningham Club and was directed to the current owner of the "Cunningham Collection". They were able to send me an archived copy of a letter from Latham to Cunningham/MOMO giving directions on how to install the supercharger on an XK-E. The particular unit is not identified.
So, my purpose? I was hoping that someone here might have personal knowledge, or perhaps even a picture. I was hoping that a picture might offer some identifier, although I doubt the serial number would be legible.

Gratis for any assistance.