E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

XKE fuel pressure ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default XKE fuel pressure ?

I have 3 SD8 SU carbs on a 4.2 1970 E-Type, I installed a new (point type)
fuel pump from Barrett and noticed that sometimes the needles wood stick in one of the carbs causing that carb to flood over.
All 3 carbs had been carefully rebuilt with new SU kits and parts including new floats and float valves (not Gross valves).
Soooo... I went out and bought a 5 pound max pressure fuel gage and used it to test the output of the fuel pump. It read 4.9 lbs which is to high for normal float valves, so I installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, I set this to 3.6 lbs on the gage, which is what the SU instructions said should be the max pressure ! This has cured the problem..............but are all new SU pumps for XKE's putting out to much pressure ???
To answer this question I tested 3 pumps, all the same model, one used two new, all the pumps differed by as much as one pound (but within the advertised parameters) ! This is NO surprise given todays manufacturing techniques, the pumps are sold with a stated high and low limit in pounds per square inch pressure.
So what to do with a car that requires the lowest pressure rating on the pump you are buying ? You would have to test several new pumps (with an accurate gage) to get the one you want. Or disassemble a pump and shorten the spring to reduce the pressure ! The spring is what determines the output pressure of the pump. Conversely stretching the spring could increase the fuel pressure. What ever way you choose, you are going to have to test the output with a gage with the pump installed and connected to the carburettors to get an accurate reading !
I installed an adjustable regulator and a gage so I can always tell my fuel pressure.

Last edited by felinecat; 02-12-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,428 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Well, it could be, but then, you report only one carb chamber giving trouble, so clearly the other two can handle the pressure.

Does the fault move with the valve ? Move the suspect valve to another carb and see what happens.

Who's SU kits were they ?

Old 02-12-2017, 06:59 PM

Remember if one carb is leaking past the float valve this is reducing the pressure at the other carburattors so they are not likely to leak as well ! The length of the float contact arm and contact bearing as well as the floats being exactly the same volume all effect which carb could be flooding.
The rebuild kits were Burlen SUs

Old 02-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Feline, I have my 1970 etype coupe installed with triple su's for close to 28 years and drive my coupe close to 6,000 miles per year.
The pressure should be between 2 and 4 pounds.
If you want a life long fix and the car runs flawless......
Buy the airtex pump which came from a 1979 honda civic....
It fits in the same hole, hooks up to the same wires, doesn't tick and because it was for a Honda it will last longer than you!
Ive driven to Colorado, Indy 500 almost every year , florida , Daytona so every condition and altitude......the airtex is it, they are at EVERYparts store, they were around 30 dollars, now about 100 bucks and has a filter inline.....
You will never regret it.
The pictures say it all my friend.
GTJOEY1314

Attached Thumbnails XKE fuel pressure ?-img_1067.jpg   XKE fuel pressure ?-img_1071.jpg   XKE fuel pressure ?-img_1070.jpg  
Old 02-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi GTJOEY, Do you have part number for the Airtex pump? What mods did you have to do to the original fuel lines to fit the Airtex?
I want to carry a spare pump but one I can easily fit on the side of the road.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:08 PM

baz I just checked, just type in airtex electric fuel pump for a 1973 to 1979 Honda.....
Everything is the same , they supply hoses and all, its soooo light you can put a spare in the glove box
Its 29 dollars and even has a new bracket as well.........
gtjoey1314

Last edited by gtjoey; 02-16-2017 at 06:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bazjag (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 06:17 PM

e8011 is the part number and the complete kit has adapter fittings and all
good luck, youll only need one forever.
There are many under that catatgory, remember you want the 2 to 5 lbs pump, 12 volt, negative ground.

Last edited by gtjoey; 02-17-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks gtjoey,
e8011 is actually 6 volt 8psi. E8016S looks more like it.
Our car has original banjo fittings at the pump so unable to use flexible hoses unless these are cut off.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:56 PM

I used 45 degree angles on both ends I kept the filter as well. The pump only weighs 1.5 lbs
remeber mine has been in for years so the numbers change but just tell them a 1979 honda
good luck

The following users liked this post:
bazjag (02-17-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Default Fuel pump PRESSURE ?????

Remember this XKE thread is to inform and educate !
Their many electric fuel pumps that can be put on a E-Type BUT the recommended pressure is 3.6 pounds per square inch (4.2 engine with 3 2" SU carbs) in the last few threads we have owners talking about installing 4 to 5 pound pumps and even 5 to 8 pound pumps !!! This is way to much pressure and is high enough to overcome the float whose job it is to stop more fuel coming into the carb ! It is the design of the float needle area, the size of the float, the weight of the float, and the length of the float arm that determines when the fuel gets shut-off against delivery pressure ! This is how the engineers determined the IDEAL PRESSURE. Just because some owner goes out and buys an XYZ pump and it works like a charm on his car forever is no guarantee that the next pump purchased will have the same exact output !!! I have proved over and over again, by measuring the output of Jag SU pumps that their is NO consistency ! They are all different pressures...... The manufacture covers the inconsistency of the internal spring strength by stating the min and max of the expected delivery pressure. If you are fortunate enough to get a pump that delivers on the LOW end of the scale that will be fine. If you are like me and want to be sure use a gage (5 LBS max) and TEST THE PUMP!

Old 02-19-2017, 11:26 AM

My pump is 2 to 4.8 lbs
unless you have an inline pressure regulator
double check
ummmm.
One thing I can guarantee
99.9 percent of all the people on this thread never drive or drove their etype in the last twenty years

Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by bazjag
Thanks gtjoey,
e8011 is actually 6 volt 8psi. E8016S looks more like it.
Our car has original banjo fittings at the pump so unable to use flexible hoses unless these are cut off.
Yes that's the one, I used 45 degree fittings at both ends, No banjos.
You can keep the inline filter or remove as well....
I used fuel injection hose as the new gas eats through everything.
Next I used the filter and 45 degree fittings, this way the hoses fit perfect.
I double checked your new number, it is 2.5 to 4.5 lbs.
I just drove a wonderful 300 miles today in it. Went through mud and winery roads, will give it a bath in the spring.
I'm installing a DOUBLE PUMP positive ground in my ASTON MART DB2.
Believe me, if you saw this load, the airtex is a dream come true.....
Happy driving bench racers, see you at Indy, Import Carlisle , Amelia Island or Pebble Beach......Yes my ETYPE has driven to all of them from Ne York, with that one pump.......yawn.
Love you all
GTJOEY1314

Old 02-19-2017, 08:15 PM

Painted 20 years ago and still drives great.

Attached Thumbnails XKE fuel pressure ?-sdc11270.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 07:31 PM

At Import Carlisle last year, 500 mile round trip ride in 24 hours.....same pump....

Old 02-20-2017, 07:38 PM

Me and My friend Don as we drove from New York to Detroit for the filming of our tv show....FORD GT AN AMERICAN ICON, which you can all watch tomorrow on Velocity.
Same pump, 1, 500 miles in a 4 day weekend photo shoot at Rousch proving ground.
P.S. you are aware I'm filming at Amelia for our new show
LEGENDS OF DESIGN"ASTONS and JAGS"
D TYPES
XJ220;S
ETYPES
Mine with the same pump.
Are we getting the message yet yawn.....

Attached Thumbnails XKE fuel pressure ?-img_0370.jpg