Exterior Talk about your rims, bodykits, and other exterior mods here.

Window Tint/ Would You do it Again?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kthrash, I'll bet it does look good. When will we see new pics of the XJR with the tint job?
Jeff

Old 05-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
Default All in the tint and installer

Originally Posted by kthrash
I just had my XJR Tinted yesterday, 30% LLumar tint. Looks awesome to me with the Charcoal exterior.

I've had my 35% LLumar tint on my S-Type for over three years w/o any issues. I also have it on two other cars and wouldn't recommend any other tint. Yes, it cost more but it's the best and usually only sold by the better installers. If you live anywhere in the south you have to have tint.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can see you ,but

I've have both my 04 & 06 MINI Coopers tinted & the STR is set for next Thursday, I just like the look plus it will save the leather. I do 5% in the rear with a UV film on the front side glass.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by roverlr3
Kthrash, I'll bet it does look good. When will we see new pics of the XJR with the tint job?
Jeff
It needs a bath first..

Old 05-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally found time to take before-n-after pictures of the tint installation. To re-cap... it 35% ceramic (no antenna interference) and blocks the same amount of harmful rays as 20%. It just not as dark as 20%. The vendor did an excellent job! (Houston Texas)

See the pictures in the forum's album section.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...hp?albumid=252

Old 05-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sab, looks awesome with the tint!
What do you all think about the suntek hp 50 blue, it kinda resembles the Benz windows.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
Haha thanks Jim and Jeff.. I think the tint is too dark as well, but my life is kind of lived by the philosophy "if its worth doing.. then its worth overdoing..." Jeff was dead on when he summed up my priorities:

Cars (Jags, Mopars, and Italian exotics)
Money (I never like to have too much, just enough)
Girls (You can never have too many of these)
Parties ( I'm just recovering from my Cinco de Mayo tequila rager last night)
Great Music ( AC/DC, Van Halen, Clapton, Ataris, Dick Dale, Skynyrd, The Eagles, Chicago, etc.. are some of my favorites)
and tons of Unforgettable Memories (that I can't remember)

LOL now can anyone gues my age?
Eric

Let's see, Eric.

Your comment on money makes it sound between Gen X and Gen Y. Your taste in music puts you as a teen in the mid-80's. Knowing what an Atari is makes you in elementary school age group in the late-70's. Your like for a white car may associate your youth with when Miami Vice was on.

I would hazard a guess that your age falls between 39-44. So, more than likely, you would be about 42 years of age.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by exrub
Let's see, Eric.
Knowing what an Atari is makes you in elementary school age group in the late-70's.
The Ataris were an alternative rock band started in the late nineties. That would put him closer to 34.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good point! However, looking at some of the other groups listed, I'd still venture to put him near 40.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Then again, he could be in his eighties. My wife's uncle fit that profile exactly, and he was 84 when he died. He loved that "Youngster Music". Boy did he like to party with the women

Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The first thing I did whenever I bought a new car, was to have an appointment with the window tinting guy.

After having the tint on all the cars, when you drive in a car without it, just makes me feel naked for some reason, and I just like to have the privacy.

So,
Front top windshield (that bar on top) 5%
Front sides - 20% Black, non-metallic, no GPS/Cell woes.
Back sides - DOUBLE layer (two actual layers) 20% Black.
Back Window - Double 5% Black.

I like to have the super dark in the back, so the front looks as close, if I'm in direct sun, or in a gas station, barely can see a silhouette.

An added plus is to hide the Aftermarket Nav, and if they try to break in, like someone posted it doesn't just blow pieces all over, it sort of stays in a sheet, Found that out the tough way.

I love the new Benz's factory tint, It looks great for factory tint.

- FabFive

Old 10-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had limo tints which are 5% all around and a 30% on the whole windshield, done it the right way and as never faded, even my old jaguar which i had for 6 years never faded, if you like ill post up some pics on how it would look like. I also have the automatic curtain in the back windshield so it makes it darker.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

My car is tinted - 35% on all the side windows, 20% on the rear window.

For me it gives a good balance of privacy, without provoking the law too much (ANY tint on the front windows is illegal here in NJ). You can sort of see into the car during the day, especially when it's sunny, but in the afternoon / evening the car is obviously tinted. It's also not bad as far as visibility when driving around.

Here's a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Window Tint/ Would You do it Again?-img00322-20100601-2020.jpg  
Old 12-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
My car is tinted - 35% on all the side windows, 20% on the rear window.

For me it gives a good balance of privacy, without provoking the law too much (ANY tint on the front windows is illegal here in NJ). You can sort of see into the car during the day, especially when it's sunny, but in the afternoon / evening the car is obviously tinted. It's also not bad as far as visibility when driving around.

Here's a pic.
Same exact setup here. 35% all around and 20% rear window.

Yes, I would do it again. I like how all the windows are the same when looking at it from the side. And the 20% looks good in the rear. This is about as dark as I would ever go.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Interesting thread. I think I am going to go with tint. At least on my XJ, the factory tint is almost nonexistent, and the car looks pretty stupid without any tint, especially because it's black outside and inside.

I will probably go with 50% on the front side windows, and 35% on the rear side and rear windows just to keep in check with Virginia tint laws.

I am a little nervous hearing about bubbles, etc., but there is a place in my area that has great reviews, and I bet if I found bubbles, they would redo it free of charge. I am a little bit worried about reflections at night, though. Maybe they have a special tint they can do for that.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 12-22-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Well, I went ahead and got it tinted 35% all around (nothing on the front windshield).

I think it looks great!

Old 10-12-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know if Jaguar use a factory tint or privacy glass as standard. I live in Australia and the car was ordered for here so it's not an import. I wonder if given that fact they would have applied a tint/privacy at the factory. We are allowed 35% at the front and 20% at the back when it comes to tint.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Default window tint

Jeff,

I absolutely feel, luxury top of the line vehicles can look very sheik with window tint. However, the Jaguars are so prominent, especially the older models, of any type. I would leave the tint off. On my Jag, The whole car has a rose tint, even on the front windshield. It is every so soft and light and luxurious, just enough to keep the UV from blinding me. However, I would not tint that Jag for nothing!

Warm wishes,

Black Ice

Originally Posted by roverlr3
This question is for all who have installed window tint themselves or had it done professionally. If you had a new car, would you do it again?
I have had it on several cars I have owned in the past, and to be honest I was a bit disappointed in the final results. Small air bubbles, fading and hazy after a few years, (even by using only non ammonia cleaners), major reflection in the cockpit during night-time driving. Some of my cars I did install it myself, others were done at a reputable shop locally. I most generally looked for a quality tint shop using 3M products, as I feel it is a very good product (usually a lifetime warranty).
The exterior look tint gives certain cars is very nice, and I think my XJ would look sharp with it installed. So if others would give me your opinion on tinting your own ride and if you would do it again it may be helpful.
Thanks Jeff

The following users liked this post:
tommyknocker (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Default Jag factor tint

Jaguar Dealers are so very fussy when they roll their Jags off the production line. They do factory tint. Depending on which State you purchased it from, will tint the car dependent on State legal requirements.

warm wishes,

Black Ice

Originally Posted by tommyknocker
Does anyone know if Jaguar use a factory tint or privacy glass as standard. I live in Australia and the car was ordered for here so it's not an import. I wonder if given that fact they would have applied a tint/privacy at the factory. We are allowed 35% at the front and 20% at the back when it comes to tint.

The following users liked this post:
tommyknocker (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face

Thanks Black Ice, in a way I am reluctant as I don't want to spoil the look of the car. I have just come off the phone will the local Jag dealer who recommends tinting given the very harsh summers we have here in Perth.
Still undecided.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window Tint/ Would You do it Again?