F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

E-Zpass Issue

Old 09-28-2016, 02:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default E-Zpass Issue

Anyone else had an issue with a windshield mounted E-ZPass transponder tag not working? I spoke with my dealership service department this afternoon and was told that this is a known issue with the heated windshield. I wasn't aware that my F-Pace S has a heated windshield, but it is included as part of some option packages. Now having another (third new) tag sent. This one will be front license plate mounted. Not crazy about that. First I've heard of an electronically heated windshield blocking a transponder. Just thought I would post this in case anyone else is feeling frustrated.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

unfortunately, i just ran into this experience as well. the EZ Pass not working was minor, i was able to get a license plate one

but the bigger issue was that the windshield stops my radar detector from working!!!!
i have 1 of 2 options - break my windshield and get a non heated one or shell out $1200 for a new radar that integrates into the car

Old 09-29-2016, 08:00 PM

I do NOT have a heated front windshield, so this had me puzzled. After some owner's manual research, I found this ...

Attached Thumbnails E-Zpass Issue-image.png  
Old 10-04-2016, 01:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ez-Pass

If you go to this site: https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com, you will find notices, bulletins, diagnostics, etc. for Jags including the F-Pace. There is a specific notice there that references toll stick-ups, badges, etc and the correct location on an FP's windshield where it can be placed. There are 2 areas ONLY just to the right and left of the rear view mirror. But the allowed space is very small so you have to see the diagram there in order to place the EZ-Pass on correctly. This goes for radar detectors also.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just put the EZ Pass transponder on the front edge of the sunroff. Have same issues with my RR Evoque and RRS.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine doesn't work anywhere except through the sun roof. I had to order an external one. My radar detector doesn't work either. Aagh!

Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I found out the hard way about this.v I made a thread about it for the XE here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-glass-171191/

In short, I don't have the defrost option but if you look real close near the mirror you can see the outline of the film i the glass even without the defrosters lines.

My new V1 radar install was nice but useless and now removed. I ordered a new tiny transponder from EZpass that fits near the mirror so its not an eye sore. I also painted the it black so it wasn't noticeable and still works perfect.

I could have put my V1 in this location but then the rear detection was be very weak so I just returned it and just keep an eye out for the smokeys.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bat5zt92
If you go to this site: https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com, you will find notices, bulletins, diagnostics, etc. for Jags including the F-Pace. There is a specific notice there that references toll stick-ups, badges, etc and the correct location on an FP's windshield where it can be placed. There are 2 areas ONLY just to the right and left of the rear view mirror. But the allowed space is very small so you have to see the diagram there in order to place the EZ-Pass on correctly. This goes for radar detectors also.
When is the info? Thanks.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:45 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Unless I'm missing something, the problem has nothing to do with a heated windshield. It's all about attenuated glass. Attenuated in this instance means the ability to reduce solar and heat from coming through the windshield, As mentioned earlier, if you look closely, and near to the rear view mirror, it appears to have a film in the glass. the glass in that area is free of the "film". There's room enough for a small stick-on strip for tolls, gates, etc., but not much else. My wife's 2019 comes with that type of windshield and I learned quickly that radar detectors and anything else that might need to be read through the glass, is a waste of money.to own. The embedded defroster wires, without the attenuated glass, don't interfere with the electronic waves trying to come through..

The following users liked this post:
mpbfpace (08-06-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 10:10 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KingFala
Unless I'm missing something, the problem has nothing to do with a heated windshield. It's all about attenuated glass. Attenuated in this instance means the ability to reduce solar and heat from coming through the windshield, As mentioned earlier, if you look closely, and near to the rear view mirror, it appears to have a film in the glass. the glass in that area is free of the "film". There's room enough for a small stick-on strip for tolls, gates, etc., but not much else. My wife's 2019 comes with that type of windshield and I learned quickly that radar detectors and anything else that might need to be read through the glass, is a waste of money.to own. The embedded defroster wires, without the attenuated glass, don't interfere with the electronic waves trying to come through..
i didn’t thing you could get a heated windshield with out the UV protection, the UV windshield has the two areas with no UV by the rear view mirror, I have a heated windshield, in my 2017 toll tag worked in the spot, I did not have a heated windshield, in my 2019 tag doesn’t work in same spot, but now I have a heated windshield.

DP

Old 08-11-2020, 05:01 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Interesting! I didn't know that, but now you know why I flunked Engineering; but then, if I think back, I think I also flunked Arithmetic.

Have fun everybody; don't catch whatever it is they say is out there. I'm just hoping my birth certificate hasn't expired yet!

Old 04-11-2021, 01:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

My SunPass (FL) did not work from the far left corner so thanks to this post I moved it to the area that is free from the coated area. Oddly enough my V1 radar detector worked just fine mounted under the mirror.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:01 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
My SunPass (FL) did not work from the far left corner so thanks to this post I moved it to the area that is free from the coated area. Oddly enough my V1 radar detector worked just fine mounted under the mirror.
Even though it's working, are you sure the range or sensitivity of the V1 isn't reduced in that location?

Old 06-06-2021, 03:43 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gearFX
Even though it's working, are you sure the range or sensitivity of the V1 isn't reduced in that location?
Don't know for sure but I do know I was alerted in enough time to keep the blue lights off my six.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KingFala
This is correct. My 2019 XJ has the heated front glass but is not attenuated. Transponder, radar detector and entry gate transponder work no problem. My 2020 F Pace with heated and attenuated glass has the issues mentioned. Was especially frustrating that I had to put an installed radar detector in the F Pace.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed mine from the white plastic case and popped up my defrost grill on the dash set it inside with the battery down and have no problems. plus it is unseen.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey ya'll .. I'm in New Hampshire, and use Ex-pass for all NH state discounted tolls, Mass, NY, NJ. ZERO issues on my 2020 F-pace SVR, you have to place it close to the cameras, I also purchased a suction-cup holder for mine because I didn't want the ez-pass velcro stuck to the windshield. see picture ( excuse the dirty Jaggy, I drove 198 miles from NH to my elders parents house in CT , it's getting a bath & dusting this afternoon)

The following users liked this post:
gearFX (06-17-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:52 PM

Hi, just got a new Sun Pass Mini for my 2021 F Pace. Do you have a regular sunpass or the mini? Where exactly do you have it placed on the windshield? I hate to stick it on the windshield and have it not work! Thanks!

Old 07-25-2021, 11:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the iPass and it is attached in the area right beside the review mirror. You can that the glass is lighter in color in that area. Hope that helps.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:26 PM

Thanks! I will check it out in the morning!! Have a good night!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E-Zpass Issue