Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts
Default F-Pace S vs. Range Rover SC

2017 F-Pace S, 5.1 sec 0-60, $59k
2013 Range Rover SC, 4.6 sec, $70k

Which one should I buy???

Old 01-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

The rangie (sport) is quite lovely inside and quite huge and airy. Depending on the model, they drive nicely though I think they improved a lot between the older shape and the new. Personally I find the tech in the pre-16 models dated and I cant cop the steering wheel that looks like it is 30 years old.

The F Pace is much more like a sedan inside. The interior might be a bit generic for some though we have it in the XE and love it.

If you dont like paying for petrol, then you might not like the rangie. They are very thirsty driven hard.

Personally I'd go the F Pace but if you are a V8 fan, like some wood in the interior, and want more space, the Rangie might be more your cuppa tea. One of the boys in our office has the 2016 RR sport 3.0 TTD to establish his polo credentials, he absolutely raves about it, and even in the base form it is a beautiful car inside.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Interesting question. I just did a lot of research. Let me start out by stating I have an F-Pace S, and an F-Type 16 R. The R is flawless. The F-Pace has been a tough road for me to travel.

Although I won't get into the issues, as they are bountiful, and a large part remedied, I have lost some confidence in the model design and quality/engineering. Breaks my heart to say this, but it is what it is. I have an opportunity to jump out of this vehicle and start with a clean slate. I was looking into the Range Rover Sport, and after researching it found that many problems exist as well, not as many as I had with the 1st year F-Pace, but problems as well. If I switched, I lose:
Maintenance and warranty coverage up to 60K
A damned good looking car, ride and feel
Reasonable payments per month.
Again....a lot of good things, stereo sound (now that adjusted and padded around speakers).....the list goes on.

The worry:
Still have a problem with the AEB warning light, and Auto High Beam Sensor warning on dash toggling back and forth intermittently, and without prompting. This is after they changed the sensor module behind the mirror.

I understand that the differentials are weak and there are other things that could be a problem, but then again....I am covered for 60K.

? = What to do......, or as the rock song goes...."should I stay or should I go"!

Lastly, there isn't another SUV that lights my panels like the Jaguar F-Pace does.

The following 2 users liked this post by slojotaa:
bat5zt92 (01-31-2017), Quebecjag (01-25-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:13 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
... I understand that the differentials are weak...
Where did you hear this? Please share your source.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

At a quick glance I built a RR Sport on Jags USA site and it topped out at $200k that's a lot of coin for an SUV or this stature. I like the F-Pace better for the money even though it's a XE basically.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BigCat09
At a quick glance I built a RR Sport on Jags USA site and it topped out at $200k that's a lot of coin for an SUV or this stature. I like the F-Pace better for the money even though it's a XE basically.
I built one and it clocked in at 105K, but even if you added everything possible, I can't come up to this number. Either way, you are right, a lot of coin and F-Pace still does the trick despite some first year issues.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RoonieQ
Where did you hear this? Please share your source.
Two reputable mechanics in Pa and in Chicago that I know well who do work on these vehicles. I wish I could verify this, thus why I wrote it. I do have to qualify that nobody should buy or not for that matter based upon this, but rather just verify it for your own selves. Thanks for the question, and this is the source(s) that i was referencing.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:36 AM

Two reputable mechanics in Pa and in Chicago that I know well who do work on these vehicles. I wish I could verify this, thus why I wrote it. I do have to qualify that nobody should buy or not for that matter based upon this, but rather just verify it for your own selves. Thanks for the question, and this is the source(s) that i was referencing.
Cheers. Something to keep in mind at service intervals when the vehicle is in for routine maintenance and health checks. Haven't heard it before, aside from some owners with differential leaks.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Talking

I built one and it clocked in at 105K, but even if you added everything possible, I can't come up to this number. Either way, you are right, a lot of coin and F-Pace still does the trick despite some first year issues.
And this is BASE price before adding any options. That is 1 huge price tag and its limited to 130 MPH like my XE is while the F-Pace goes 155 MPH like all the rest.
2017 RANGE ROVER LR-V8

Our most alluring, precisely engineered and refined Range Rover ever.

This model’s key features:

Unique front grille
Unique wheels
Unique side vent graphics
Bright chrome upper and lower door handles
Unique SVAutobiography badge
Rear centre chiller compartment and power deployable tables finished with Ebony leather
Unique seat and stitch pattern with perforated Semi-Aniline Leather and Rear Executive Class seating
Leather Perforated Headlining
InControl Touch Pro (10" Touchscreen)
Surround Camera System
Meridian™ Surround Sound System (825W)
10" Rear Seat Entertainment
Calf Rest
ALL STANDARD FEATURES
Base MSRP From $199,950*

Old 01-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
Meridian™ Surround Sound System (825W)

Base MSRP From $199,950*
For that price it should have the 1700-watt 29-speaker 5.1 3D Meridian Signature audio. Just saying/

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (01-23-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Lastly, there isn't another SUV that lights my panels like the Jaguar F-Pace does.
Agree
+1
Guy

Old 01-26-2017, 08:09 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

IMO..I think the Range Rover looks too much like a Ford Explorer

The following users liked this post:
bat5zt92 (01-31-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
IMO..I think the Range Rover looks too much like a Ford Explorer
I'm sure that was Ford's intention.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RoonieQ
I'm sure that was Ford's intention.
That is what I thought. I test drove the RR Sport, and can safely say the ride of the F-Pace out "Paces" (pun intended) by far. Rover is a heavy beast, research says that breaks every 16K +/- are around $1500- $1800, tires go pretty fast, and this alone was a ? mark or me, but the ride....."I was like get me back into my F-Pace".

Old 02-02-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Entirely different vehicles with a different purpose. RR Sport has massive offroad capability and size to haul a lot of stuff. F Pace is a tall sports sedan with a too tiny gas tank. Don't get me wrong a diesel is on my list of must drive vehicles, but Jag really screwed up a few things with the F Pace design. Same parent company, same suppliers, same assembly protocols etc AFAIK

Old 02-25-2017, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

If you use the RR for business, I believe it may qualify for a 179d tax deduction, which offers greater depreciation. This is based on Gross vechicle weight as I recall. My 2015 LR4 qualified. It doesn't ease the pain of the sticker shock a lot but it's worth at least several thousands. Ultimately depends on how much of your driving is business. I wouldn't think f pace would qualify, but haven't checked.