F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Need Advice: 2mos Old F-Pace, major problems!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Need Advice: 2mos Old F-Pace, major problems!

My father ordered an f-pace (3.5L) earlier this year and was estimated a late september delivery. He was then surprised with a call in early august telling them his car had arrived at the dealer, and he was totally happy with it.

There were 2 small incidents that happened a few weeks ago that he thought were just flukes and didn't pay it too much mind at the time. One time, while entering the freeway he was trying to accelerate and the throttle was working, and the RPMs were rising, but the car wasn't accelerating. A few seconds later everything seemed fine, and he put it out of his mind. The second small incident was while driving at night, he got pulled over by police because it turned out that his headlights/tailights were not on, even though the switch was set to automatic. He futzed with the switch a few times and they came on, and again, everything seemed fine and put it out of his mond.

Now, just a couple days ago the Check Engine Light comes on and he immediately brings it in to the dealer service center. Diagnosis: car needs a new catalytic converter, a new differential, and there's an oil leak (didn't say from where exactly.) There hasn't been any diagnosis made yet regarding the lights not working, and I'm assuming the problem of no acceleration is probably related to the differential?

Now, he (and of course my mother) is quite upset that a 2 month old car with only 2500 miles is in the service center with such major problems. They both would ideally like either a replacement f-pace or a full refund.

Obviously the car is under warranty and yes the repairs are covered, however to have such major issues with such a new car is unsettling and makes him not want that specific car anymore.

So far, the dealer's general manager has gotten in touch with Jaguar NA, and they have offered my parents $1000 credit for accessories (on top of the repairs of course)

My question is, what would you guys do/suggest? Has anyone been in a similar situation with jaguar or with any other manufacturer? What was the final outcome? Would you take that deal? Would you negotiate for more (maybe an extended warranty?) Stand your ground and demand a new car or refund?

any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Old 10-14-2016, 09:04 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

The only thing they owe you is to repair the car free of charge. I'd take the $1,000 gift, get the car fixed, and see if turns out to be reliable. If not, sell it as soon as the warranty runs out. It's a brand new model in it's first production years so I am guessing it's suffering some "birthing issues."

Old 10-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of our problems are electrical. We have had the car a month and is has been in the shop twice. It needed a new amplifier to solve the Kmart stereo quality issue. Then the screens continually crashed and rebooted. It needed a new ICM. It will need to be returned for a new software download that is not available yet.

The car was returned with all of the presets for Sirius and navigation wiped out. A good service department would have noted settings and replace before returning.
Should have stayed with BMW.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Sorry to hear. Sounds like your father bought one of these...

Old 10-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

I would demand a refund because, even if they fixed everything for now, you'd never know what else is going to go wrong next on a jinxed vehicle.

I love the F-Pace, just test drove one last weekend, and plan to buy a CPO car in a couple of years (with a clean service history of course).

Last edited by Wolfy; 10-18-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by zellerma
All of our problems are electrical. We have had the car a month and is has been in the shop twice. It needed a new amplifier to solve the Kmart stereo quality issue. Then the screens continually crashed and rebooted. It needed a new ICM. It will need to be returned for a new software download that is not available yet.

The car was returned with all of the presets for Sirius and navigation wiped out. A good service department would have noted settings and replace before returning.
Should have stayed with BMW.

Your expectation on the presets is unrealistic. You probably should go back to BMW.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Time to 'Call Saul'. Or a lemon-law attorney.

It could happen to any car manufacturer.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Sorry to hear. Sounds like your father bought one of these...

Time to 'Call Saul'. Or a lemon-law attorney.

It could happen to any car manufacturer.
after looking up california lemon law stipulations, I don't think the car qualifies as a lemon yet, until there have been several attempts to fix multiple problems for at least 18mos.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Your expectation on the presets is unrealistic. You probably should go back to BMW.
Hah! If the service SWMBO is getting for her BMW is typical, she'd be better off buying a wonky Jag and just deal with the horrors of resetting her preferences.

Without details of why the dealer is replacing these components especially since they don't seem to be related to any reported faults, calling the car an unreliable lemon seems to be a little premature.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

I would demand a refund because, even if they fixed everything for now, you'd never know what else is going to go wrong next on a jinxed vehicle.
That is not how these things work. They owe you service repair unless the issue repeats THREE or more times without viable resolution.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

refund or replacement. dont stay with that car

The following users liked this post:
DGL (11-01-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 08:55 AM

so update on this story.

Thursday - Parents negotiate for extended warranty, manager says "very likely but has to confirm with jaguar

Friday - Car is supposed to be ready, get a call saying that they haven't been able to solve the check engine light. Parents start to revert back to wanting either a refund or new car

Monday - Manager asks if they'd be open to trading the car (straight trade) for any f-pace up to the same price they have on the lot. Note: they special ordered their car, so kind of a disappointment that they could end up with a car that wasn't the exact combo they wanted/paid for.

So that leaves them with 3 different options. $1000 accessories credit, extended warranty, or different f-pace that could end up costing less than what they paid and not the combo they paid for. Parents said they'd go to the dealer tomorrow to see what they actually do have in stock.

the saga continues...

ndabunka (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 07:11 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

If they would do a straight trade, value for value, on any f-pace on the lot they should also be persuaded to rebuild same optioned f-pace and trade when it arrives. I would get rid of that lemon and you have a chance to dump it. You may want to do a search across the US for the f-pace you want and they should be able to work out the exchange between dealers. This should get you into the f-pace you desire. I hope they work with you to keep you happy. I'm considering an f-pace and hate to hear stories like this, especially ones that don't have a happy ending.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Still no details on the supposed incurable 'faults'?

Old 11-09-2016, 05:13 PM

another update:

Last week, after having the car back frome repairs for exactly 1 week, the CEL came back on once again. They brought the car back and finally got somewhere with Jaguar.

They've agreed to replace the car. There happen to be 2 very similar cars currently on boats to the US right now. They are identical to the car they bought, except that they include the cold/hot weather package, which my parents' car did not have. They agreed to let them have one of those cars as a complete and even trade, no extra cost or difference.

Nice to see Jaguar going above and beyond even though it took a bit of time and effort to get there. Hopefully the new one will be less of a pain.

The following 2 users liked this post by IIIMik3:
ndabunka (11-09-2016), ralphwg (01-21-2017)
Old 11-16-2016, 10:25 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default To our friends in the U.K.

Sorry about bringing up an uncomfortable issue, that being the current US Dollar to the Pound Sterling and the Euro. I know that auto manufacturers all over the world are covered by a lot of financial securities, insurance to us but the financial world has a lot of fancy terminology for instruments to cover the ups and downs of the currency markets.

Could anyone give me the "sticker" price, if there is such a thing in the U.K. on a fully loaded F-Pace S? I'd like to compare it to the same vehicle here in the U.S.

Back in the "old" days, many cars were sold to buyers from the U.S., who picked them up in Europe/U.K., drove them around for a few miles and sent them back home as used cars. I don't remember the cost differential, but many said the difference was enough to pay for the trip, and then some.

Just asking?

King Fala

Old 11-16-2016, 10:57 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

alfa romeo stelvio?

good luck to your parents in being made whole. nice that they have you assisting as well.

best,

Old 11-19-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by KingFala
Could anyone give me the "sticker" price, if there is such a thing in the U.K. on a fully loaded F-Pace S? I'd like to compare it to the same vehicle here in the U.S.
An S base spec here is £52k, or $65k USD, but specs and options vary by region so your best bet is to build a comparable car here to get the list price:
Build your ALL-NEW F-PACE - Models

20% of UK list price is VAT. You would not pay VAT on an export to the US, but you may not be able to order a LHD for export at that price. Remember the specs are different (from the obvious position of the steering wheel to the not so obvious fuel vapour recovery differences) so you may find you are tied to buying from a US dealer to meet your regulatory requirements.

Typically the US cars are a fair bit cheaper, not the other way around. An S base is showing as $58k USD on the US region configurator (that is including the $1k shipping cost) - Build your ALL-NEW F-PACE - Nameplates

The US spec includes these non-regulatory changes that are plus-cost options in the UK:
- LED headlamps (£1,000 option)
- Sliding glass roof (£1,500 option)
- Privacy glass (£385 option)
- 14 way sport seats w/memory (£910 option)
- IR reflective windscreen (£460 option)
- Electric steering column (£310 option)
- Heated steering wheel (£190 option)
- HomeLink (£255 option)
- Blind Spot Monitor with Closing Vehicle Sensing (£510 option)

US markets also get a 5yr warranty with free servicing and 24h roadside assistance. In the UK we get a 3yr warranty and the roadside assistance. We pay £899 for a 5yr service plan.

With the option costs included the UK equivalent to the US base S spec is exactly £58k, or $71.5k USD (still slightly less for the money as we don't get the same warranty duration). That makes an equivalent car $13.5k USD cheaper in the US than the UK.

KingFala (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 06:41 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default A BIG THANX to XDave

Certainly a lot I hadn't thought about. But even at that, I'm sure the manufacturer would lay down some serious roadblocks and restrictions to make it extremely difficult if not extraordinarily expensive for that to happen. I'd just had a passing thought that ordering it through a dealer in the U.S., spending a bit of time riving it around before sending it back would be quite an adventure. Also, it is interesting to learn what is available for a U.K. spec car vs. what's available in the U.S. And, I certainly don't like that V.A.T.!

Thank you again for your response. The other part of my plan was to use up the British Airways FF miles we have, to get us back and forth. But as I think about arranging that, which in itself is an exercise in futility. They call their Frequent Flyer program "AVIOS". They ought to call it "ADIOS", since the inability to use any miles, leads one to say ----- ADIOS!