F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chin Spoiler Dings

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Chin Spoiler Dings

Ok, I know there is a parking assist but I have still managed to scrape the bottom edge of the lower front chin spoiler on my F-Type V8S backing out of my driveway, etc. I have not checked but imagine that replacing this piece of plastic will cost a pretty penny if purchased from Jag. Anyone try using a black plastic U-channel to repair the bottom edge and give it a clean look? Seems like it should work.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

One of my big fears. I have done it to my Infinity M and the corvette C6 vert. Not to the F yet but it is only 5 Days old

Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been wondering if the forward parking assist ignores small curbs that are lower than the bottom air dam. On my Z06 Vette the black plastic air dam was a cheap and easy replacement part, but I suspect that's not the case with the f-type.

The following users liked this post:
jjones (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 AM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Front Spoiler

Spoke to Chris at Mina Gallery, they are working on a carbon fiber overlay for the front spoiler. fyo

jjones (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 02:04 AM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm of the opinion that they are going to be consumables or one-use disposables. Mine drags on the garage ramp every day, and I just grit my teeth, knowing it's going to crap out eventually. Anything that lowers it, such as a clip over, or stiffens it further, such as carbon, is likely going to increase the drag and therefore the damage. Ideal solution would be a retraction mechanism, but perhaps a black soft rubber option would take more abuse.

Oh well, I for one bought a sports car, not a concourse queen...

Chris

The following 2 users liked this post by cjp:
Jagged Wire (07-25-2017), jjones (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Smile Scuffed up chin spoiler

Originally Posted by themacs
One of my big fears. I have done it to my Infinity M and the corvette C6 vert. Not to the F yet but it is only 5 Days old
I am going to try flexible vinyl u shaped edge molding to clean up the now ragged edge. It won't last but for a cheap interim solution may be ok. I will repost when I have some experience with it. Thanks for your response.

Jim jones
2014 F type V8S

Old 01-05-2014, 08:11 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

A member on another forum mentioned that the replacement part is surprisingly inexpensive and easy to replace.
Front Air Deflector - Jaguar F-Type Forum

The following 4 users liked this post by DJS:
cjp (01-05-2014), JimC64 (01-06-2014), swajames (01-06-2014), V8SDoc (01-05-2014)

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2014, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
A member on another forum mentioned that the replacement part is surprisingly inexpensive and easy to replace.

"Inexpensive and easy to replace" is a pleasant surprise since its bound to get scraped sooner or later. Good work Jaguar.

As for ultra-flexible air dams, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of channeling fresh air into the intake?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Fair point on flexibility. The spoiler itself does indeed have to be somewhat inflexible, or it cannot transmit downforce to the car. The usual intent of the lowest part of the setup (under the spoiler) is more to deflect air away from the undercarriage, thereby reducing drag, and improving economy a fraction, not to generate more downforce or to direct air into the engine or brakes. I think a bit more flex there would be a fair trade-off.

Chris

Old 01-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Default Chin spoiler repairs

Originally Posted by cjp
Fair point on flexibility. The spoiler itself does indeed have to be somewhat inflexible, or it cannot transmit downforce to the car. The usual intent of the lowest part of the setup (under the spoiler) is more to deflect air away from the undercarriage, thereby reducing drag, and improving economy a fraction, not to generate more downforce or to direct air into the engine or brakes. I think a bit more flex there would be a fair trade-off.

Chris
Yes I think that is right. The bottom edge of the spoiler gets scraped and starts looking ragged with bits of plastic or nylon handing off of it. I propose to sand the ragged edge and put a flexible black U shape edge molding over it. It won't last because it will get scrapped up as well but it will give the edge a clean, finished look for awhile and postpone the day where the spoiler itself will need to be replaced. The edging is about $9 for 20' so should be enough for maybe 3 applications.

The following 2 users liked this post by jjones:
cjp (01-07-2014), swajames (01-06-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
That is good news. Thanks

Old 01-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Default Chin spoiler woes

Originally Posted by DJS
Unfortunately I check out with my dealer and they want $270 for this plastic part! I am not sure where the $48 mentioned in the other forum came from. If anyone knows where the V8S chin spoiler (plastic dam that is underneath the front nose and set back about a foot or so) can be obtained for $48 I would love to hear from you.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

a quick search for the part # provided in the thread on the other forum shows the part for $25 via a dealer's online parts store. List price is only $30.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:21 PM
Default Wrong part

Originally Posted by another_geek
a quick search for the part # provided in the thread on the other forum shows the part for $25 via a dealer's online parts store. List price is only $30.
This is not the right part. The part for the V8S is long and curved on the ends. This part is short and almost straight.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

You can find these parts on eBay. The center piece is about $45.

Search for "jaguar f-type oem" and it should turn up.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Unhappy Bad Part

That is the wrong part. The price is about $270 for the right one that fits the V8S. I have the one everyone keeps mentioning which I bought based on the responses I received to my original inquiry on this thread. It is definitely the wrong one! If anyone has actually ordered and received in their hands the front air deflector (chin spoiler) for a F type V8S and paid $45 or anything like that for it I would love to hear from you with the part number you ordered.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The $270 is what I would expect it to cost. What does the $45 one look like?

Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Default front air deflector (air dam) F Type V8S

The $45 one mentioned in this thread with a part number is a front air deflector but not the one for the F type V8S (don't know if its different for the V6). The correct deflector comes in three pieces. The correct deflector is available from a Florida Jaguar dealer advertising on Ebay but each of the three pieces, after shipping costs, is around $50 so $150 total. Better than $270 the local dealer quoted but not $45. I ordered it. Mine at 6k miles is pretty much destroyed.

bobhamb (02-19-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 11:04 AM

Rather than a "chin spoiler" it is indeed called a "front air deflector" as eventually pointed out by jjones
Originally Posted by jjones
front air deflector
It seems to come in three pieces as follows about $40 USD (+ shipping) for each piece:
  • JAGUAR FTYPE RIGHT AIR DEFLECTOR FRONT BUMPER OEM FACTORY C2P22211
  • JAGUAR FTYPE CENTER AIR DEFLECTOR FRONT BUMPER OEM FACTORY T2R4160
  • JAGUAR FTYPE LEFT AIR DEFLECTOR FRONT BUMPER OEM FACTORY C2P22212
I have attached a picture of the three pieces:
I think the picture(s) on this URL "front bumper deflector factory" explains things well and give all the P/Ns.

IMHO it seems to be the same part for the V6, V6S, and V8S, but I am not absolutely sure - so check with your dealer first. I think following the link above you will go to EBAY site for Naples Luxury Motors - so you cold check with them at there main web site www.naplesluxuryimports.com

I plan to do replace my "front air deflector" set as they are starting to look ratty - I might just order 2 complete sets! FYI I have no affiliation with Naples Luxury Motors at all.

Hope this helps.

Mulmur (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Received 177 Likes on 49 Posts

Just had mine replaced by jaguar dealership last week (14' v8s). Parts and labor was $190. You should shop around different dealerships for better quotes.

Quick Reply: Chin Spoiler Dings