F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complaint about the new F type

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Complaint about the new F type

As a long time Jag owner and fan of the Jaguar I am really disappointed in the look of the new F-types.

The F type looks A LOT like other cars out there. For example it looks like the Mazda MX-5:
2014 Mazda MX-5 Miata Soft Top Convertible Sports Car | Mazda USA

The mazda only costs $23,000 compared with $69,000 for an F-type.

Why does the F type look so plain? And even the performance is not that special. The F type goes 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. Yet the Mustang V6 does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and looks pretty damn cool doing it too for $22,000.

When I see an F-type driving down the road I hardly notice. It looks like nothing special and looks like every other car out there.
http://www.jaguarusa.com/models/f-type/gallery/photos

I know this is probably the wrong forum to complain about it, but what the heck is going on with Jaguar?

Old 10-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Funny, but they are selling all they can make at the current price, believe it or not.

If you don't like it, you can buy something else. Like all cars, the style is not liked by everybody.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:55 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Comparing an F-Type to a Mazda Miata? You need to shake your head. I can't say I'm totally blown away with the new F-Type but you need to give it credit were it deserves it. Comparing it to a Miata is totally wrong and the F-type is a much better car than the Mustang in quality, looks and performance. You get what you pay for. If you want to drive a Mustang go for it, but I would much rather driver an F-type.

Last edited by DGL; 10-13-2013 at 05:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
MaximA (04-16-2014), SkipM (10-15-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WHAT ??????
I get a lot of looks and thumbs up while driving mine.
Just out of curiosity, what Jag to you find to be more attractive ?
A/C COBRA = PLAIN JANE.
I cant tell the difference between my Mercedes CLS and a Hyundai Sonata or VW CC either.

The following users liked this post:
SkipM (10-15-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

How many Mustangs and Miatas do you see everyday compared to F Types?

SkipM (10-15-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Pluvrr
As a long time Jag owner and fan of the Jaguar I am really disappointed in the look of the new F-types.
?
I am disappointed the way 90s XJs look, but very thankful to Jaguar's design team.

The only resemblance in a F type and in a Miata is the fact that they have four wheels. Otherwise, if you think those cars look the same, you have never seen either one.

American car companies always offer more for less. If you worried about price and performance, why are you driving a Jaguar?

Since you didn't know, the 5.1 is just an advertised number.

Comparing a F type to a Miata, just means you don't know much about the auto industry. The only car the F type actually resembles is the current Ferrari California.

Attached Thumbnails Complaint about the new F type-507fb60d-454f-41af-b14d-2753450eeb1a_jaguar-f-type-3.jpg   Complaint about the new F type-car_photo_524008.jpg   Complaint about the new F type-jaguar-f-type_2014_800x600_wallpaper_85.jpg  
Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I had an R8 and got looks everywhere.
I'm glad the Ftype doesn't draw the same looks.

As for the rest, I bought mine 100% for the sound. Don't much care about the rest.

If you go only by performance vs cost, there is always something faster or cheaper out there.

Find the reasons you care about, and go from there.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

I think my main complaint would be the boot, which is about the same size as my MG Midget ! However, in the Midget I can put stuff behind the seats, but in the F-type you can't even do that.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I think my main complaint would be the boot, which is about the same size as my MG Midget ! However, in the Midget I can put stuff behind the seats, but in the F-type you can't even do that.
This is the most valid complaint to date.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
The only car the F type actually resembles is the current Ferrari California.
From the front maybe?
I guess that's why every Woman in the pub looks just like Kylie Minogue, after I've had a dozen or so whiskeys

Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love this car. I see no comparisons between it and the Miata. It is a "muscle car" like the Mustang but with a lot more flair.

My biggest complaint is that you can't disable the "econo" shutdown mode. I even looked at the fuse list to see if there was a fuse that could be removed to disable. Nothing is shown, probably to meet some federal spec to not permit anything contributing to fuel mileage.

A minor surprise is that the tach and speedometer depend solely on ambient light during daylight. Although readable the instruments could use some lighting during daylight.

Also, I used the vid screen options to disable the center air vents closing on ignition off. But, even after a complete shutdown and restart, the vents still rise and fall. I just want to save wear and tear on the erection mechanism.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Funny, but they are selling all they can make at the current price, believe it or not.

If you don't like it, you can buy something else. Like all cars, the style is not liked by everybody.
That's just simply amazing and hard to believe.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by DGL
Comparing an F-Type to a Mazda Miata? You need to shake your head. I can't say I'm totally blown away with the new F-Type but you need to give it credit were it deserves it. Comparing it to a Miata is totally wrong and the F-type is a much better car than the Mustang in quality, looks and performance. You get what you pay for. If you want to drive a Mustang go for it, but I would much rather driver an F-type.
I've never driven the Miata or the F-Type so handling/performance I can't speak to, BUT I do see both of them on the road and I can definitively say the F-type looks like A LOT of other cars on the road including the 2014 Miata.

The F-type is so undistinguished that I do not recognize one on the road unless I end up right behind one and see the Jaguar symbol on the trunk.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by KennB44
WHAT ??????
I get a lot of looks and thumbs up while driving mine.
Just out of curiosity, what Jag to you find to be more attractive ?
A/C COBRA = PLAIN JANE.
I cant tell the difference between my Mercedes CLS and a Hyundai Sonata or VW CC either.
My '96 XJS convertible has better lines to it than the F-type IMO. I also think the S-type looks great. Of course the older E type and S types (both new and older) have very nice and distinguishable lines.

Glad you guys like them but I'd rather not drive a car that looks like a Mazda.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip
How many Mustangs and Miatas do you see everyday compared to F Types?
Hard to tell because the F type is so hard to find since it looks like everything else on the road.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Executive
I am disappointed the way 90s XJs look, but very thankful to Jaguar's design team.

The only resemblance in a F type and in a Miata is the fact that they have four wheels. Otherwise, if you think those cars look the same, you have never seen either one.

American car companies always offer more for less. If you worried about price and performance, why are you driving a Jaguar?

Since you didn't know, the 5.1 is just an advertised number.

Comparing a F type to a Miata, just means you don't know much about the auto industry. The only car the F type actually resembles is the current Ferrari California.
I also did not like the 90's Jags except for the XJS Convertible. I may not know much about the auto industry but I do have normal human eyes and they have a tough time distinguishing the F-type from all the other junk on the road.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Hate to say it but Plurvv is right in some respects that the F-Type looks like other sporty compact cars on the road.

I would disagree that it looks like a Miata, HOWEVER, I think most of you (F-Type owners) would agree that from a distance it does resemble a Honda S2000, at least from the front view perspective. If you don't believe me take a look at the below link.

NOTE -- the Honda S2000 design was introduced back in 1995.

The Honda S2000 looks has been one of the things that's kept me from putting down a deposit.

Honda S2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've said a couple of times on this forum that Jaguar needs to replace Ian Callum. I miss the previous generation designs of Geoff Lawson and Malcolm Sayer. Those designs had class and elegance.

Since Jaguar came out with the new design language of the XF in 2009, I've tried to learn to love the new XF // XJ // XK's looks, but it just hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by BrownRobin; 10-14-2013 at 09:53 PM.
SkipM (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by BrownRobin
Hate to say it but Plurvv is right in some respects that the F-Type looks like other sporty compact cars on the road.

I would disagree that it looks like a Miata, HOWEVER, I think most of you (F-Type owners) would agree that from a distance it does resemble a Honda S2000, at least from the front view perspective. If you don't believe me take a look at the below link.

NOTE -- the Honda S2000 design was introduced back in 1995.

The Honda S2000 looks has been one of the things that's kept me from putting down a deposit.

Honda S2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've said a couple of times on this forum that Jaguar needs to replace Ian Callum. I miss the previous generation designs of Geoff Lawson and Malcolm Sayer. Those designs had class and elegance.

Since Jaguar came out with the new design language of the XF in 2009, I've tried to learn to love the new XF // XJ // XK's looks, but it just hasn't happened yet.
I agree so much with this post it is ridiculous. And yes that link to the Honda is a better match than the Miata.

Looking at the concept hybrid cars on the Jaguar website the C-X75 looks absolutely seductive and beastly, but how much will they dumb it down before they roll something like this out?

C-X75 Photo Gallery | Jaguar USA

Attached Images    
Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Timex makes watches that look just like a Rolex too, but doesn't make it a Rolex.

You must really have a death wish for Jaguar.

Ian is the best thing that happened to that brand. 47% of XF buyers are within the ages of 31-45. The car broke them out of the "old gentlemen's car" mold. And, the demographics of the new XJ is in a lower age group than those of a Porsche Panamera.

If you don't like the current design, that's fine. This happens on BMW forums and all the other ones i am sure of. Some are fanatics of the Bangle butt BMWs, others can't stand the design.

Doesn't stop BMW from prowling down their current design path.

Hailers (11-05-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

LOL @ this thread. The old Jaguar was dying for good reason. Tata did some really cool stuff and the F Type is an example of what is saving Jag from extinction. until 2010 XKR's didn't come standard with LSD's - is this the Jag that you miss? Mercedes C class clook like accords to me. Jag has stayed classy and the performance numbers are nothing to scoff at - also, when was the last time a mainstream magazine considered a Jaguar for a best drivers car? That; in and of itself, says quite a lot.

Quick Reply: Complaint about the new F type