Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom wheel suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Custom wheel suggestions

All,

I am thinking to build a set of custom wheels for looks and better fitment in my wheel wells. I have the carbon ceramic package wth BIG calipers and I don't like the only wheel choice I had (storm wheels). I have had two sets of custom Boze wheels in the past. Just looking for options. I want the offset perfect. Probably would like to have someone measure for that perfect offset. I am in Texas.

I believe the current wheels are 9X20 255/35/20 55mm offset and 10.5x20 295/30/20 38mm offset.

Thinking 9.5X20 and 12X20 for Michelin PSS tires. Maybe 275s and 325s?

Going to do something slick. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

The shape of the wheel on its inner face is probably more important than the offset.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

I like the HRE P101 but they cost about $9000.
Picture 1 and 2

The Niche Misano are similar but about 1/2 the cost.
Picture 3 and 4

Attached Thumbnails Custom wheel suggestions-wp_20140416_16_57_44_pro.jpg   Custom wheel suggestions-wp_20140416_18_42_35_pro.jpg   Custom wheel suggestions-niche-gtr-1001-4x1.jpg   Custom wheel suggestions-niche-gtr-1001x1.jpg  
Old 09-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HRE is overrated.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:05 AM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by OCblackJag
HRE is overrated.
Never really liked the looks of HRE myself.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by OCblackJag
HRE is overrated.
Over priced...

Old 09-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

check out niche wheels. high quality and high value and they'll finish the wheels however you want.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jleuz1
I like the HRE P101 but they cost about $9000.
Picture 1 and 2

The Niche Misano are similar but about 1/2 the cost.
Picture 3 and 4
Half the cost?

You can get a set of Misano's for $1099 set.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Forge vs Cast. While yes, HRE are expensive ... you can argue they are overpriced, you are getting better constructed wheel.

There are other custom forged companies that make a quality wheel at a much lower price point. i'm not sure i would put a Chinese made cast wheel on a 100k car.

*edited bc autocorrect fail*

Last edited by ShaunPA; 07-13-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
Forge vs Cast. While yes, HRE are expensive ... you can argue they are overpriced, you are getting better constructed wheel.

There are other custom forged companies that make a quality wheel at a much lower price point. i'm not sure i would be a Chinese made cast wheel on a 100k car.
HRE is the best company out there when it comes to designing a safe/strong wheel. There simply isn't anyone who will do it better short of a OEM wheel. They actually put engineering in, to make sure the wheel will crush properly in an accident or not fracture over major potholes. The lesser/cheaper companies don't do this, and can run into problems. Just look at Forgestars reputation, ignoring the awful customer service.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:58 PM

There are plenty of great wheel companies with solid quality forged wheels at a reasonable price include Rays, BBS, SSR, Work, Advan ... just to name a few. The main problem for us is that they are all made for Euro and JDM spec - very few have offerings with a 5x108 bolt pattern.

We have very limited off the shelf options because of bolt pattern ... except for alot of the cheaply made cast wheels with no QC. You have to go with a HRE, Klassen, Velos. The other option is a lesser priced custom forged wheel like Rotiform, BC Racing, or similar ... most of these wheels are all made at the same factory.

Last edited by ShaunPA; 07-13-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

HRE's are overpriced. The backing company that actually make the wheels also makes a few other (custom) brands which are sold cheaper. However, they are good wheels and the name is a household name.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Default They're will be many that are going to argue this but

Anyone knows that certain wheels are better than others but do you really think any wheel is so dangerous that it's unfit for market?

If you put a $250 wheel on your car, you are not being irresponsible guys. Yea you can go forged and spend a $1500 per wheel but unless your tracking and need weight benefit, any wheel is perfectly fine for city driving. Any wheel company who would ever get a reputation for producing a wheel thats prone to failure would do so much harm to their brand that they couldn't sustain as a company. Firestone almost died because of their defective tire years ago. Wheels generally work well guys.

Without starting a war here, let me say this emphatically...

NO ONE ON THIS FORUM drives their F hard enough to go beyond the practical limits of any wheel you choose that is being regularly sold.

You don't have to preach the benefits of this type or that type, really...

Get the wheel you like and if you can't find the right bolt pattern, get a set of adapters if you truly need that wheel.

None of us push the car to the point that we have to make any wheel decision other than style. Don't let anyone tell you different. I've run aftermarket wheels all my entire life (hundreds) and have NEVER had a wheel fail where it hasn't been my fault. EVER. Never had a wheel leak or split without me being the one to hit a curb. All wheels are made in China regardless of what brand they are unless, as stated earlier, they are milled in one of a few houses and remarketted. Bottom line is Forged $1500 a wheel, cast $250 a wheel. get what you want. The truth is that it's always far cheaper to simply replace a bent $250 wheel than to recondition high end HRE's or Forgiatos.

OEM wheels are the same as any good aftermarket wheels because they just farm out to BBS or Ronal for instance to produce their wheels. They simply spec them out to fit the calipers for instance.

The wheel industry had changed so much over the last twenty years. Yea HRE was the best custom house back when BBS was the gold standard. I've owned a lot of HRE product. It's not easy to say this brand is better than that nowadays because of how the industry works in modern times. MHT/DUB I think it is, is a conglomerate that umbrellas about 20 different wheel companies under many different names including Rotiform. THERE IS ONE CENTRAL PLACE THEY MILL ALL THE FORGED STUFF.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-13-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:20 PM

I have had a wheel failure on a track before ... not fun. I've also had cheaply made cast wheels crack without any undue stress put on them.

are cast wheels suitable for the street? absolutely ... however, i would pick a wheel from a manufacturer that has a solid reputation for QC and construction methods.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Not cheap and I don't know if they would clear the ceramics:

20" PUR 4OUR Forged Staggered Wheels Pirelli Tires 2016 Jaguar F Type R Coupe | eBay

Old 07-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

I have had a wheel failure on a track before ... not fun. I've also had cheaply made cast wheels crack without any undue stress put on them.

are cast wheels suitable for the street? absolutely ... however, i would pick a wheel from a manufacturer that has a solid reputation for QC and construction methods.
Im not saying it could never happen, primarily on a track, but the much more likely scenario in a real city driving situation is you hit a pothole and dent a front. When this happens, look to shell out about a grand to repair a forged three piece where the lip can be repaired or replaced. A one piece forged, look to spend $1500 on a wheel replacement. The cast, you buy another for $250, and keep it moving.

In real world city driving situations, what makes the most sense?

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-13-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Some options:

CCW: Home - CCWheel

Not as flashy as HRE, but they are good wheels.

Lots of flashy options here for a forged wheel:

http://www.wheelpros.com/default.cfm

Old 07-13-2016, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Im not saying it could never happen but the more likely scenario is you hit a pothole and dent a front. When this happens, look to shell out about a grand to repair the forged. The cast, you buy another.

In real world city driving situations, what makes the most sense?
that's if it just dents ... what if you have a catastrophic wheel failure which happens quite a bit with these wheels. you could be looking at several thousand dollars in suspension repairs as well.

wheels are a safety item, it's not worth going cheap on.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

that's if it just dents ... what if you have a catastrophic wheel failure which happens quite a bit with these wheels. you could be looking at several thousand dollars in suspension repairs as well.

wheels are a safety item, it's not worth going cheap on.

Ouch, what were the conditions necessary to cause such a failure?

If you think that could happen in a normal circumstance, I would agree with you wholeheartedly. Further, if that type of failure could be possible, the company should be sued, a cease and assist levied, and certainly you should be naming the brand, model and circumstances from every pulpit you get.

To treat this like a mere by-product of selecting a wheel that wasn't high enough quality for your application is a disservice to the public if indeed this particular wheel failed under a regular circumstance.

First off it would be great to know did an accident cause the wheel to fail or did the wheel failure create the accident. Let's start here. I see a lot of edge grinding as if the wheel hit a guard rail, curb or median.

And believe me, I know certain cheap Chinese wheels are garbage. I'm far from denying that. The real solution is our feedback. If you bought a set of wheels that were garbage, then I'm al for avoiding that wheel, type, or brand altogether but at what point can we say, OK this wheel is good enough. I will assure you HRE's have failed at some point.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-13-2016 at 04:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Savini makes custom cast and forged to 5 x 108

Quick Reply: Custom wheel suggestions