Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Tailgate - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Power Tailgate - Why?

Yes it's on the Options list, but I've yet to figure out why I'd want one?

It isn't a big heavy tailgate, and it's starting from near-horizontal.

Gas struts have always seemed more than adequate, and while the last rental I drove had it (BMW 3 series Touring), the time it took for it to open/shut meant that I invariably ended up doing it manually.

What am I missing?

Old 07-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

I thought about it and passed.

The tailgate opens and closes without much effort.
It would be among the last options I'd get for the F-Type.
One peripheral advantage is, it helps avoid fingerprints on the tailgate for darker paints. But if you know how to close the tailgate correctly (using the nicely tailored handle on the inside) you can avoid the fingerprints anyway.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I too felt this just seems like extra weight (and I would be fine with the center console vents just always being open - my convertible vents broke and stayed open and I never even noticed) - but the R I am buying was already built and comes with the power tailgate, oh well.

I think having all of the options/packages is attractive to some buyers.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I didn't choose to add it to my S just to have all the options. I purchased it due to a torn rotator cuff/injured shoulder. Maybe others have a similar problem or maybe as omgomg said they want all the options.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I passed on it also, the rear glass just isn't heavy enough for auto-open to be useful to me. If anything needed additional assist and soft-touch close, its the Hood! Not that I need under the hood very often, but its surprising how many other people want to see the engine...

Old 07-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

The only good reason I could see for having it is if your hands are full after emptying the trunk (luggage, groceries, etc) and being able to just push a button would make it more convenient.

The following users liked this post:
PD2911 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
The only good reason I could see for having it is if your hands are full after emptying the trunk (luggage, groceries, etc) and being able to just push a button would make it more convenient.
I ordered it & that's the reason i wanted it. I hope it closes by remote as well. Anyway, to each his own.

Last edited by Dremorg; 07-10-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dremorg
I ordered it & that's the reason i wanted it. I hope it works by remote as well. Anyway, to each his own.
I don't have my car yet but I assume it works like on my XJ. You can open via remote or button inside the car, but you can only close via the button on the hatch/trunk. You can't close via remote or from inside the car.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

I ordered it because I thought it was just too cool for school plus I'm not sure but I think it both opens and closes via remote...

TR64ever (07-20-2017)
Old 07-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I checked the owner's manual and quick-start guide on Topix. The manual only mentions opening the luggage compartment via remote. There's no mention of closing.

This is from the quick-start guide

Attached Thumbnails Power Tailgate - Why?-7-9-2014-3-11-37-pm.jpg  

Last edited by another_geek; 07-09-2014 at 05:12 PM.
jaguny (07-10-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX

Same reason I ordered, coming from an Evoque and thought it would be hard to adjust to having to open and close manually.

PD2911 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
I ordered it because I thought it was just too cool for school plus I'm not sure but I think it both opens and closes via remote...
The Art of Villainy with Tom Hiddleston | F-TYPE Coupe | Jaguar USA - YouTube
That's my fave F-Type commercial. Every time I watch the YouTube of it I think I should change my order to white.

I do not see the villain touch the button in the lift gate to close it. It would lead one to think it could be closed with the key fob. Guess not though.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PD2911
That's my fave F-Type commercial. Every time I watch the YouTube of it I think I should change my order to white.

I do not see the villain touch the button in the lift gate to close it. It would lead one to think it could be closed with the key fob. Guess not though.
Almost every ad I've seen shows the car in white with the black pack...I love it!

Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 AM

No it's not a necessity...lots of options aren't but when you're walking to the car with your hands full, it's nice to have the tailgate lift up automatically for you. It's just something that makes things a little easier. If you don't like something or think something is unnecessary, don't buy it but that answers your "why" question.

Last edited by Dremorg; 07-10-2014 at 05:52 AM.
PD2911 (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dremorg
I ordered it & that's the reason i wanted it. I hope it works by remote as well. Anyway, to each his own.
I just checked and can confirm the remote does open and close the tailgate on my R. I ordered it so I would not get finger prints on the back of the car when shutting the tail gate.

The following 4 users liked this post by Azvipers:
buickfunnycar.com (07-10-2014), Dremorg (07-10-2014), enderle (07-21-2017), PD2911 (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Azvipers
I just checked and can confirm the remote does open and close the tailgate on my R. I ordered it so I would not get finger prints on the back of the car when shutting the tail gate...
Thank you for confirming that, I figured it did from everything I was led to believe.
Not getting fingerprints when opening/closing is reason enough for me...my Lexus has an interior handle so you don't need to touch the paint and I've trained my wife to use it,lol!

Old 07-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have it on my R since I do use the trunk a lot with my bag and stuff. Sure you don't need it, but then again, who really needs panoramic roof or even yet a F-type? It's an option that people might take advantage of. For others who rarely open the trunk, may not need it.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

FWIW the manual (non-powered) tailgate operates as follows:

1. Release button is on the underside of the tailgate, so there are no visible fingerprints when opening.

2. Once you touch the button to release the tailgate, you have to lift it by maybe 3 inches, then the hydraulics kick in on their own and it opens the rest of the way.

3. To close, there is a very solid and well designed handle on the interior of the trunk (see the picture below) which you can use to pull down the lid. It doesn't take a lot of effort. Also, the tailgate doesn't open very high because the car is low. There should be no problem in low garages, and no problem for short women or kids to close the trunk manually.

4. You don't have to slam the lid shut. You can close it most of the way and the electronics will pull it shut.

So, the tailgate has been designed so that you can open and close it manually -- without the powered option -- without leaving fingerprints.

Attached Thumbnails Power Tailgate - Why?-2015-jaguar-f-type-coupe-trunk-view.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by schraderade:
enderle (07-21-2017), jaguny (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by schraderade
FWIW the manual (non-powered) tailgate operates as follows:

1. Release button is on the underside of the tailgate, so there are no visible fingerprints when opening.

2. Once you touch the button to release the tailgate, you have to lift it by maybe 3 inches, then the hydraulics kick in on their own and it opens the rest of the way.

3. To close, there is a very solid and well designed handle on the interior of the trunk (see the picture below) which you can use to pull down the lid. It doesn't take a lot of effort. Also, the tailgate doesn't open very high because the car is low. There should be no problem in low garages, and no problem for short women or kids to close the trunk manually.

4. You don't have to slam the lid shut. You can close it most of the way and the electronics will pull it shut.

So, the tailgate has been designed so that you can open and close it manually -- without the powered option -- without leaving fingerprints.
That may be all well and good...still can't deny it's a cool feature to have!
I will be impressing my friends with this option,lol...

Old 07-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Listen, all you guys who didn't opt for it...it's ok to justify it by saying its very easy to open & close. I agree but those of us who did opt for it wanted it because it's even easier & it also looks good while we're doing it.

buickfunnycar.com (07-10-2014)

Quick Reply: Power Tailgate - Why?