F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start up noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Start up noise

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. Just got my F type coupe V6S a month ago and its a really nice car to have.

I do have a question that needs fellow owners' advice. I am getting this weird noise from the exhaust during cold start. The first vid below is what I hear every morning.

This second vid is what happens when I turn on the active exhaust after a cold start

I have asked the dealer and they say its normal during cold start as the valve is opening. Just wanna know if fellow owners hear the same sound as I do.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

What I heard on your vids is odd, but I heard the same thing on both videos. The valves on active exhaust should be always open on start-up. I didn't hear any change in volume associated with valves opening and closing, but it does sound something like an air leak, and the valves are vacuum actuated.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-02-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:26 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

On my 2015 v6s vert, I get those same sounds in the morning from a cold start. Sounds stops after the engine warms up and the rpm settles down.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:33 PM

Hi Foosh, I may have mistaken what the dealer said, not sure if its valve opening or closing that makes that noise.

Hi Kingkong, yes it only happens during cold start and goes away after the rpm goes down.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:48 AM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Haven't stood behind mine while starting, but both those noises do sound odd and I dont think mine does them, certainly don't hear it from inside.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Greetings and welcome.

I too have a V6S Coupe and based upon your videos I have never heard the same "noise" coming from mine. And I KNOW all about "cold" starts considering where I live.

I would check that out a bit more if I was you (coming here a great place to start; no pun intended).

Good luck and let us know.
RJ52

Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I normally start my car in a closed garage so I get a full on listen to the noises at startup and I don't hear sounds like those on mine. I'm not sure I'd be happy with the "oh they all do that, sir" excuse as based on my experience they don't.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:14 AM

Hi RJ, thanks for the welcome. Yeah I did a search prior to posting this but seems like no one else hv mentioned this before.

Hi Andrew/James...thanks for replying, seems like I need to go back to my dealer.

The following users liked this post:
AnD3rew (03-04-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 12:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I get a bit of a buzz which sounds like a heat shield, at right around 1500 rpm. Sounds a bit like what you're hearing. The dealer will be looking at it when it goes in the spring for the annual oil change.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:17 AM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by hoks
Hi RJ, thanks for the welcome. Yeah I did a search prior to posting this but seems like no one else hv mentioned this before.

Hi Andrew/James...thanks for replying, seems like I need to go back to my dealer.
Not sure if there is more than 1 dealer in Singapore, but sometimes can be helpful to get a second opinion from another dealer.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member

I'm assuming hoks that this sound is the same (consistently) upon each and every - as you say - "cold" start? I agree that your dealer upon your first service would be the best option to diagnose what others here believe to be an oddity, but perhaps it's nothing. Unless others here disagree I wouldn't worry too much - if at all - about it.

One thing's for sure: the myriad of glorious sounds coming from all of our exhausts are brilliant and intoxicating but, I'd add, varying.

Here's to it being a sound about nothing. (Like the show Seinfeld).

If kingkong79 states that his F-Type makes the same "noise" upon starting up - as well as what DJS says - and they have no [other] issues once it's warmed up, it probably is.

Let's hope so.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 03-04-2015 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:35 AM

Andrew, only one Jag dealer here, we are a tiny island

RJ, yes its very consistent, happens daily during first startup. I agree probably not a big issue but dealers seems to always say things are "normal" without wanting to look deeper into them...at least nowadays we have forums to turn to

Old 03-04-2015, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member

Andrew, only one Jag dealer here, we are a tiny island

RJ, yes its very consistent, happens daily during first startup. I agree probably not a big issue but dealers seems to always say things are "normal" without wanting to look deeper into them...at least nowadays we have forums to turn to
Unfortunately - and it's not just limited to dealers - but customer service on any and all levels are and have been in serious decline for many years and attention to detail (never mind any attention at all) is seriously lacking. My suggestion, assuming the sound(s) get worse or begins to bother you, is firmly but politely insisting to your dealer that your Forum brothers and sisters feel strongly something is amiss. Power of the people...

Don't think it will come to that however.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 AM

Hi Foosh, I may have mistaken what the dealer said, not sure if its valve opening or closing that makes that noise.

Hi Kingkong, yes it only happens during cold start and goes away after the rpm goes down.
Sorry for the delay. If I start the car with the active exhaust disabled, I only get that sound 1 time after the growl (less than a second). BTW my car is garaged. I don't know if that makes any diff.

Here is a video of my V6S startup with active exhaust enabled. Sounds very similar to yours.

Last edited by kingkong79; 03-04-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 AM

King Kong, thanks for checking it out...yeah I think urs sound exactly like mine. So its normal or just ours...?

Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM

King Kong, thanks for checking it out...yeah I think urs sound exactly like mine. So its normal or just ours...?
I've read other people saying the active exhaust will make some noises on cold start so that's why I didn't really look into it. On a cold start if I let the car warm up and then turn on the active exhaust I will never hear any of those noises throughout the day. I think it could be just the active exhaust initializing the gases/pressure but I could be wrong. Anyways it does not bother me.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

According to official JLR documentation on the active exhaust system, the valves are supposed to be always open on initial start-up. As a result, it shouldn't matter whether the valve open/close button is in the on or off position, for those cars with the switchable option. Some active exhaust cars do not come with the switch, if it wasn't selected as an option.

It could be that some of you are hearing the valves close after initial start-up.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It could be that some of you are hearing the valves close after initial start-up.
It could also be hissing because the valves aren't closing all the way.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
It could also be hissing because the valves aren't closing all the way.
True, in fact I think I suggested it might be a vacuum leak above.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
True, in fact I think I suggested it might be a vacuum leak above.
I'm thinking the exhaust valve itself might not be closing all the way causing it to sound like an exhaust leak rather than a vacuum leak from the vacuum reservoir.

Quick Reply: Start up noise