Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange/Odd Things People Have Said About the F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts
Arrow Strange/Odd Things People Have Said About the F-Type

F-Types and I suppose Jags are still relatively uncommon (vs say a BMW). So I don't blame folks for saying seemingly strange/odd things about our cars.

Yesterday at a track event a guy came over and said my car looked/sounded great. Said he first thought it was a Tesla (Model S). I suppose there's a slight resemblance. The prototype Model S does have some of the same design cues. But I don't see it too much in the current production models.

Then this morning I went to a local cars and coffee. The guy directing traffic said, "GTR?" Don't see it at all. Does anybody see any remote design similarities? Incidentally, saw a nice red E-Type and black R there today. Not sure if you're on this forum?

Any other funny things people have said about F-Types?

Old 09-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
F-Types and I suppose Jags are still relatively uncommon (vs say a BMW). So I don't blame folks for saying seemingly strange/odd things about our cars.

Yesterday at a track event a guy came over and said my car looked/sounded great. Said he first thought it was a Tesla (Model S). I suppose there's a slight resemblance. The prototype Model S does have some of the same design cues. But I don't see it too much in the current production models.

Then this morning I went to a local cars and coffee. The guy directing traffic said, "GTR?" Don't see it at all. Does anybody see any remote design similarities? Incidentally, saw a nice red E-Type and black R there today. Not sure if you're on this forum?

Any other funny things people have said about F-Types?
From a nice looking lady: I would "so do your car" its so beautiful. ??
I thought a pretty interesting response.
Lawrence

Old 09-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mulmur
from a nice looking lady: I would "so do your car" its so beautiful. ??
Lawrence
gee

Old 09-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by themacs
gee
Yea, and clearly directed at the car, not me.
Lawrence

Old 09-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mulmur
From a nice looking lady: I would "so do your car" its so beautiful. ??
Lawrence
I'm not familiar with Canadian laws, but is there such a thing as sexual carassment? It's very similar to ordinary sexual harassment but directed toward high-performance cars. Luckily for most offenders it's only a misdemeanor.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with Canadian laws, but is there such a thing as sexual carassment? It's very similar to ordinary sexual harassment but directed toward high-performance cars. Luckily for most offenders it's only a misdemeanor.
It reminded me of a scene in a recent movie.. The Counselor and one of the characters played by C. Diaz gives a car a sort of massage that is not easily forgotten.
Anyway, other than comments such as 'what a beautiful ride' or 'what a great looking car' or 'thats a sexy car' ... nothing else actually strange has been said. I must say though many drivers act pretty strange in that they rush up behind me or pass really fast .. certainly different than when I'm driving one of our other cars.
Lawrence.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I actually had a 20 something young lady ask me "So, is that like a sports car?"! She wasn't a blond, but I should add, I live in texas. For comparison, I once told my female barber I just came back from Australia, her response was, "Phil, you didn't ride your motorcycle did you". Sadly our governor wants to run for president.

The following 2 users liked this post by Philipintexas:
baf3472 (09-10-2014), cwb3rd (09-19-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Philipintexas
I once told my female barber I just came back from Australia, her response was, "Phil, you didn't ride your motorcycle did you".
LOL!

I street parked the car here in San Francisco last month and there was a really disheveled homeless guy lying on the pavement. He looked at the car for a while and then turned to me and said, is that the Jaguar F-Type?

He proceeded to tell me his family used to own an E type and another older V12 jag when he was growing up and he and his dad used to tinker with them.
I chatted with him for 5 minutes about the different models throughout history, then we went our separate ways. It was kinda cool to see his eyes light up with excitement talking about growing up, and to connect with this unexpected random dude, before he faded back into his dire circumstances.

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

"I love your Maserati" from at least 3 women.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alexg
"I love your Maserati" from at least 3 women.
I'll take being mistaken for a Maserati over GTR!

Was at a friend's BBQ today. Was told his 3-yo daughter was really checking out my car. Apparently they attract young and old women alike

Old 09-08-2014, 08:20 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

A coworker keeps referring to mine as a 'Ferrari' - I keep correcting him, but that's not really an insult. But a friend's kid thought mine looked liked a Saturn Sky - I bit my tongue. My friend later apologized, but I thought it was amusing.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I've personally mistook them from a distance for either the current Maseratis or the Ferrari California, and most people usually mistake it for the former.

I get lots of thumbs up - a car pulls up next to me and then doesn't move as it should, so I turn my head and have someone with thumbs up.
Also bus drivers and Verizon/Comcast install guys in their vans.

And people walking on the street usually yell at me when I am stopped at lights, something about the plate usually.

Old guys tend to say something along the lines of "wow, that thing must really go" and I never know how to respond.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (10-07-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
A coworker keeps referring to mine as a 'Ferrari' - I keep correcting him, but that's not really an insult. But a friend's kid thought mine looked liked a Saturn Sky - I bit my tongue. My friend later apologized, but I thought it was amusing.
It's funny someone mentioned the Saturn Sky. I was looking to get one at one time and on their forum they had this exact thread. Pretty much every marquee was named. People would ask if it was a new Aston Martin, Maseratti, Lotus, Corvette, Ferrari. It really did look like it could have been a new baby Corvette. Threads like this just show that people really don't pay much attention to cars and when they see something new and striking in appearance they immediately go to a brand they probably desire most or rarely see but know of. So don't feel too bad, plus while a Saturn, the Sky was a great looking car for the time. I preferred it over its sister the Solstice.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

I get the Aston comparo often but thats pretty much it. Most people just ask me first instead of stating "nice Aston" LOL

Old 09-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Same

Same experience I had a Viper ease up on me in traffic and I was sweating he wanted to race (no way in hell to much traffic) and he just wanted to give me a thumbs up. Both my Jags pull a tone of comments and few folks seem to know what they are (with the XK that is understandable but with the F, you'd think they would have seen the ads).

Old 09-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

First fill-up in the car, 40-something lady comes up to me and just says "Gosh .. that's lush"

Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

I got two more people think it's a Tesla over the weekend!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:47 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I got two more people think it's a Tesla over the weekend!
Same with me--I don't think it looks like a Tesla at all, but several people have thought I had a new Tesla.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:37 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Today, a good friend of mine trying to bust my chops said, “when did Ford start making a Fusion convertible? Nice car!” Those are fighting words!

I stopped by a local Italian restaurant tonight after work for takeout. I parked away from everyone at distance from the front door. I ordered from one guy, waited 15 minutes and another guy brought my food to me. He said, “Nice Jag, how do you like it?” I still cannot figure out how he even saw the car because it was not nearby, unless they have outside cameras. He pulled out extra plastic bags to cover the food because he didn’t want it to spill in my new car. Never happened with the BMW!

On the way home I had an idiot in a newer Mustang rental car edition pull up next to me on the freeway and proceed to race his engine and show off his aftermarket exhaust.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

lol.
saying that an F-type is a Ford (or a Tata) is like saying a Bugatti Veyron is a Volkswagen.

Quick Reply: Strange/Odd Things People Have Said About the F-Type