F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Manual 6 Speed questions / issues / chatter thread?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default 2016 Manual 6 Speed questions / issues / chatter thread?

The known issues thread is big, and doesn't deal with this marvelous addition. I doubt these are known issues, and I am just new to a modern car (been driving a Wrangler for 20 years, pre "safety")... so my questions can start of other people's thoughts, comments, questions, etc?

1) Is it me, or does it seem like all the documentation for the manual is really the automatic, or did I get the wrong owner's handbook? It's surprising how they haven't paid attention to the collateral for the buyer's of their vehicles, new diagrams, etc.

2) Am I missing something, or is intelligent stop/start not working on the manual (not that I mind)?

3) What is the small bump in the leather along the driver's storage area in the door?

4) I assume Dynamic Launch does not work with the manual?

5) I assume ASL *does* work with the manual?

I am really curious to hear other people's questions or thoughts about the car.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

The F-Type manual is written for all models and all options, and it's the same with every other manufacturer I'm familiar with. Usually, there is a notation on manual sections denoting equipment that may not be on all models.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (08-26-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
The known issues thread is big, and doesn't deal with this marvelous addition. I doubt these are known issues, and I am just new to a modern car (been driving a Wrangler for 20 years, pre "safety")... so my questions can start of other people's thoughts, comments, questions, etc?

1) Is it me, or does it seem like all the documentation for the manual is really the automatic, or did I get the wrong owner's handbook? It's surprising how they haven't paid attention to the collateral for the buyer's of their vehicles, new diagrams, etc.

2) Am I missing something, or is intelligent stop/start not working on the manual (not that I mind)?

3) What is the small bump in the leather along the driver's storage area in the door?

4) I assume Dynamic Launch does not work with the manual?

5) I assume ASL *does* work with the manual?

I am really curious to hear other people's questions or thoughts about the car.
Where warranted, issues specific to the MT are cited in the 2016 OM.

ECO is fully functional on the MT. It requires that you be at a full stop, in neutral, with foot off clutch pedal.
Never noticed a bump.

It's an MT. You effect such a launch by revving to 3500+ rpm before you release the clutch. Quite effective. Quite costly.

Yes, ASL works just like on AT.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

That little bump in both the driver's and the passenger's door storage compartments is to hold a bottle... of water, or other non-alcoholic liquid at an upward angle. Well that's what I find it useful for.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, I also see no mention of the manual transmission in the owner's manual.

And, I do have a question about it... with the electronic parking brake, how do you do a real hill start?

Old 08-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ksamborn
For what it's worth, I also see no mention of the manual transmission in the owner's manual.

And, I do have a question about it... with the electronic parking brake, how do you do a real hill start?
With physical coordination, which is no problem once you're proficient in a manual, which most of us old-timers are. Anyone who is can start on the steepest hill without brake assist and without rolling back even an inch.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by ksamborn

Originally Posted by Foosh
With physical coordination, which is no problem once you're proficient in a manual, which most of us old-timers are. Anyone who is can start on the steepest hill without brake assist and without rolling back even an inch.
I haven't seen anything about it in the owner's manual, but the EPB seems to handle it automatically now.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I haven't seen anything about it in the owner's manual, but the EPB seems to handle it automatically now.
Yes, I suspected that, but wasn't sure. "Hill-assist" has been around on manuals for many years now. I was amused that my 2008 M3 6MT had it. However, my point was that an experienced manual driver has absolutely no need for it, especially with a high-torque engine. It's there for those without much experience or confidence in their abilities.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, I suspected that, but wasn't sure. "Hill-assist" has been around on manuals for many years now. I was amused that my 2008 M3 6MT had it. However, my point was that an experienced manual driver has absolutely no need for it, especially with a high-torque engine. It's there for those without much experience or confidence in their abilities.
Yes, I understood your point and agree, although the vague engagement point of some modern clutches makes it more difficult. The numb clutch feel and FWD on my C30 can make it a challenge on some of San Francisco's streets.

I think that with the F-Type it's automatic and can't be disabled. Not sure though. Maybe I'll do some digging in the owner's manual over lunch.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

LOL, I did OK in a 100 HP, Ford Pinto with a manual transmission on the streets of SF when I lived in the Bay Area. One just needs to be able to quickly coordinate the actions of two feet, each performing different movements.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

The MT does have automatic Hill Assist and will hold for about a second or 2 after the foot brake is released. If you need more time, you can engage the EPB and as soon as it detects sufficient forward torque on the brakes, it will release for a smooth launch sans drama.

For the neophyte, turn off the dynamic mode in San Fran-like terrain. The super sensitive throttle mapping in dynamic mode makes it all too easy to over-rev and excessively slip the clutch unless you have a lot of hill start experience.

Here's the official Jaguar F-Type Manual Manual

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-24-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I never got the Manual manual with my mt V6. Been driving manuals for 50 years so no biggie but it should have been in my Bible.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
I never got the Manual manual with my mt V6. Been driving manuals for 50 years so no biggie but it should have been in my Bible.
No one else got one either. This was a promo gimmick put out by JNA. Available online only I believe.

Buckingham (08-25-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Where warranted, issues specific to the MT are cited in the 2016 OM.

ECO is fully functional on the MT. It requires that you be at a full stop, in neutral, with foot off clutch pedal.
Never noticed a bump.

It's an MT. You effect such a launch by revving to 3500+ rpm before you release the clutch. Quite effective. Quite costly.

Yes, ASL works just like on AT.
Thanks for all this!

1100 miles in 11 days, and they may have been fun, figuring it out, miles. I will opt for the less expensive non-burnouts. =)

Figured out Eco. Found a few mentions of MT in the book.

The bump is on the left inside door storage area. I wasn't sure if it was a hook for keys or sunglasses or something. It's very small, inside the outside plastic storage shell.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Yes, I understood your point and agree, although the vague engagement point of some modern clutches makes it more difficult. The numb clutch feel and FWD on my C30 can make it a challenge on some of San Francisco's streets.

I think that with the F-Type it's automatic and can't be disabled. Not sure though. Maybe I'll do some digging in the owner's manual over lunch.
This! I can hill start. Have done so in SF for 20 years, and learned my MT on those streets. But it isn't always about *your* skill as much as it is about the knuckleheads around you. I can do it without it, but that slight hill start thing is actually a nice convenience that I don't mind... not at all! =)

Old 08-26-2015, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy

Here's the official Jaguar F-Type Manual Manual
Cheers to you!

Old 08-26-2015, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Two new questions:

How do I turn off the engine of the car without turning off the power, IE parked for a few minutes and want to listen to the radio or take the top down.

How do I sit in my car and listen to the radio at the beach with the top down (for example) for more than 10-15 minutes without the car shutting off/down? =^D

Old 08-26-2015, 01:28 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Bring a radio with you. Otherwise, you have to keep turning the ignition on, I think. One of the annoying 'features' of the F-type.

Last edited by DJS; 08-26-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Two new questions:

How do I turn off the engine of the car without turning off the power, IE parked for a few minutes and want to listen to the radio or take the top down.

How do I sit in my car and listen to the radio at the beach with the top down (for example) for more than 10-15 minutes without the car shutting off/down? =^D
1. With your foot off the clutch, push the on/off button twice. (once to turn off the car engine, once to turn the system back on)
2. Nothing to do about that other than pushing the on/off button again when the system shuts down.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

You probably don't want to leave the power on too long anyway, the battery will run down pretty fast with all the electronics in these cars. I'm sure that is why it turns off after 10-15 minutes on its own.

I don't know if anyone has run battery drain time tests on the F-Type, but I remember reading something in the Corvette forum about this. The newer models (the C7 and Z06) will drain their battery down to nothing in less than 2 hours if you disable the auto-power-off functionality (or just keep turning accessory mode back on every 10-15 minutes after it shuts off) to keep the audio system operating. I believe someone on the Corvette forum experienced this first hand when trying to watch a movie at a drive in. That seems realistic, though a bit scary as well.

Quick Reply: 2016 Manual 6 Speed questions / issues / chatter thread?