Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 F-Type R Tuned +100 HP

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 04:37 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2017 F-Type R Tuned +100 HP

Hi Guys,

I scheduled a tune today with Bobby over at GSR Technik. Will let you know my thoughts this weekend on how the car currently drives compared to stock.

Found them over instagram. I'm really excited about the results of this tune.

Here's the list of my current mods:

20" Stance Wheels SF03 Gloss Black
Car Lowered using H and R Springs with 15mm spacers on the rear
De-Chromed changed to satin black except the badges
ECU Tune by GSR Technik +100HP

Thank you guys!

Old 03-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

So hold on a minute... this guy/company thinks you're gonna get 100 hp just from a tune? With no supporting mods? Let me be the first to say that's highly ambitious. You'd be lucky to get 50 with no pulley/exhaust upgrades.

Also, I've never heard of this tuner before. What makes him an expert on the F-type that would make you choose him over the proven tuners on this site?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
So hold on a minute... this guy/company thinks you're gonna get 100 hp just from a tune? With no supporting mods? Let me be the first to say that's highly ambitious. You'd be lucky to get 50 with no pulley/exhaust upgrades.

Also, I've never heard of this tuner before. What makes him an expert on the F-type that would make you choose him over the proven tuners on this site?

ALL... very good questions!!!
I'll pour myself a beer and wait for some well-reasoned answers

Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Hmmm.... not a good sign... Please do some research for the sake of your car!

BimmerBoost - GSR Technik caught using epoxy glue on F22 228i N20 ECU without permission and under-delivering advertised horsepower

Check out VelocityAP, or Eurotoys, or anyone else on this site who's proven.

The following users liked this post:
Eurotoys (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:00 PM

And their website is extremely underwhelming and uninformative:
GSR Technik

Old 03-16-2017, 09:16 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I would seriously rethink this unless they can show to you a proven track record with F Type tuning.

There are established tuners discussed on this board that do have a proven track record and their tunes are installed on many members cars - who appear very happy with them. What's more the tune can be applied at home by you via a handheld device and you can reflash the original tune back at any time you wish.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

HG Motorsport in San Diego use their tunes for BMWs and Mercs (I think). What they said was mostly positive. However, when I called GSR they quoted me numbers that were easily twice the amount you'd spend on EuroCharged tune for example.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I know these guys.

They changed their name, used to be called Jailbreak Tuning, renamed to GSR a while ago.

There are a few Jags here on the forum who were tuned by them, when they were still known as Jailbreak. XFR and XKR mostly.

I know they've tuned some F-Types as well. So they are not "new" in that sense.

650hp from just a tune is a massive claim. While don't doubt that it would be possible, I have to wonder how far over the edge it would have to be running to get that number.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by JVIII
Found them over instagram. !
Oh well that's a relief I thought you might not have been looking for technical references...

The following users liked this post:
Mpowerr (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 12:00 AM

They used to be Jailbreak Tuning. Very reputable and they're always the first ones to shake the industry with regards to tuning.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by IronMike
And their website is extremely underwhelming and uninformative:
GSR Technik
I did a lot of google search about them and yes, there's not a lot about GSR. But the previous name of the company is Jailbreak Tuning.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:04 AM

Hmmm.... not a good sign... Please do some research for the sake of your car!

BimmerBoost - GSR Technik caught using epoxy glue on F22 228i N20 ECU without permission and under-delivering advertised horsepower

Check out VelocityAP, or Eurotoys, or anyone else on this site who's proven.
I would say this is the only that I've noticed that was bad. Other people are receiving positive feedback about them.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo
I know these guys.

They changed their name, used to be called Jailbreak Tuning, renamed to GSR a while ago.

There are a few Jags here on the forum who were tuned by them, when they were still known as Jailbreak. XFR and XKR mostly.

I know they've tuned some F-Types as well. So they are not "new" in that sense.

650hp from just a tune is a massive claim. While don't doubt that it would be possible, I have to wonder how far over the edge it would have to be running to get that number.
Thank you sir!

Old 03-17-2017, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Oh well that's a relief I thought you might not have been looking for technical references...
Actually I found it from the instagram of one the members here in the forum. We've done some business before and that guy doesn't go to places that he doesn't trust (since that guy is in the car industry).

Also, I did a lot of google research about GSR/Jailbreak Tuning.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:26 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

650 from just a tune would be pretty smokin'.

Are they going to dyno before and after for you?

Old 03-17-2017, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyAir
650 from just a tune would be pretty smokin'.

Are they going to dyno before and after for you?
Yes sir, trying to schedule it.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by JVIII
Yes sir, trying to schedule it.

Before you risk catastrophic engine failure, I would encourage you to ask them for before and after Dyno maps for an F-type Tune they have performed, then post them here for the experts to evaluate.

If they can't, are unwilling, or provide excuses for why Dyno results are not available.. that should be a clear signal. AVOID!!!

Over the last two years, this Forum has seen as many as a dozen tuners pitch their performance gains to F-Type owners, and all but one or two have had their A$$es handed to them, and scurried off into oblivion by the many posters that are experienced in ECU tuning and Dyno results.

The gains claimed by GSR are well beyond the proven F-Type results obtained by any other tuner that has contributed to this forum. As Cambo stated, anything close to 100HP gain is on the fringe, and if anywhere near realistic, would leave many here questioning what safe limits were ignored to get there.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:29 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Just to be clear, all I was saying is that I know who these guys are, and that they tuned some Jags.

I'm not endorsing them, nor can I comment on their tunes. I've not heard of any failures on Jags that they tuned, but I never heard them claim 650hp before either.

The only 5.0L car I know that made 650hp with only a tune was an XFR in Moscow, and it only lasted a few months before it melted two pistons.

So I'm very skeptical of the claim...

Each to his own.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:51 AM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey man just looking out for a forum member but 100 HP gain off a tune is very uninformed uneducated claim. F type has been around for a few years now and no one I know has been able too achieve the numbers there stating. When I first bought the car Tim Baily the head tuner of Cobb tuning gave me some really reputable tuners including phatboy tuning and they all said there tune would bring at most 600hp without any mods. That's why I went with velocity just because there tune was proven on our platform. Going to a tuner that has a history of stealing tunes and giving false numbers is a bad choice. Kind of like sleeping with a girl who people thought had an std. If might be just rumor but are you really willing to take that risk.
​​​​​

​​​

Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the Velocity Website and, as I understand their graphs for their reflash kit, you give up a LOT of lower RPM power (hence torque) to get their advertised max HP gain. Sounds like a bad deal to me, unless the car is a track car (maybe even a bad deal t hen).

Am I missing something?