F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018MY updated F-Type? - Spy shots, discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:10 AM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

SCOOP: Jaguar F-Type R Facelift Spied - The Supercar Blog

Today's article from SuperCars blog on the new F-type. Looks like finally updating the infotainment center on the Ftype to match other JLR vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (07-17-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 07:36 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

It is, there is actually a fiberglass kit to convert our car or an XJS (really designed for the XJS) and I may eventually go that route as I've found a builder willing to do it in Florida but it would be no where near as nice as this (or as expensive). Every time I look at this I feel lust in my heart. Crap I'm channeling Jimmy Carter....

Old 07-30-2016, 12:48 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

OK just realized that when I logged in this flipped the threads on me, I was responding to a different thread and didn't lose my mind. That happened later...

Old 10-13-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
SCOOP: Jaguar F-Type R Facelift Spied - The Supercar Blog

Today's article from SuperCars blog on the new F-type. Looks like finally updating the infotainment center on the Ftype to match other JLR vehicles.
Will they have the ability to update our infotainment in older models?

Old 11-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally got around to reading this thread, and Jeez - what are JLR thinking?

That front end is just plain fugly. As others have mentioned, who wants a fatter bumper, a smaller, less aggressive grill that looks like an XK, which in turn stole the design from the 1992 Ford Mondeo. And those side vents just seem to be at odds with the rest of the front design. We can only hope it looks better with the camo off.

On a philosophical note, what were we really expecting? How many vehicles that were beautiful in their first series were actually improved upon when they were updated? They usually become bloated, and have design changes made just to make the car look different regardless of the aesthetic.

The F-Type is a perfect example. The car was a ground-up concept intended to define a new strategy and road ahead for Jaguar. Everyone at JLR worked as hard as they could to make the F-Type as perfect as possible for its launch, and it was launched with a design as good as they could get it. They held nothing back as its success was so critical to Jaguar's future. In 2011 nobody was thinking "this design element looks better - we'll save it for a refresh 5 years down the line."

So, I believe that design deterioration is inevitable with the F-Type as time moves on, and history proves. Jaguar will be looking for features to differentiate, and be damn lucky if they do anything to improve upon the look of the first series.

Of course, this type of thing is super-subjective, and I'm sure that many will disagree with my feelings on this subject. I have a 2016 R, and just love the design of the front - as well as the whole car. Like others have mentioned, I think the 2016 is the sweet spot for the F-Type - both from a design and technical perspective - and that these will be some of the most collectible in future.

Improve on this?...

Old 11-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure.

This "JLR designs get worse over time" line is one you often hear, but not one I've ever really bought into. The XKR looked better to me as years went on, culminating in the brilliant looking XKR-S GT.

I would agree that the latest changes to the "normal" F-Types haven't been great, but then again as time goes on they release whole new models (P7, SVR) that look even better than the original.

I wonder what the facelift will do to the front of the SVR? Given that its face is already so different from other models, I wonder if it'll just be a swap to the (probably much nicer LED) new headlights and done?

I'm more hopeful that they'll announce significant improvements to the really-not-nice-enough interior before I place my order.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:18 PM

Yes, it's all subjective.

I agree that the XKR-S GT was the best looking iteration of the XK. At least they were able to disguise the shape of that Mondeo grill by painting everything underneath it black.

Unfortunately, the SVR seems to have fallen prey to "change it to justify the price increase" syndrome. It's front has just been changed to make it look different. A design improvement? Hmm... Necessary to increase engine airflow because of all that extra power? Don't think so. But OK if you like to emphasize the look of black plastic honeycomb, and dig an extra black plastic bar up the side of the vent.

I don't buy that the changes were necessary to improve performance. And a 25 hp increase over the R? That's just in the tune. I could spend $1,200 on the tune & pulley kit from Velocityap and get 600 hp out of my R.

No, JLR have to attempt to justify the extra $20,000 they want for the SVR by using body differentiation, a lighter exhaust, some different suspension parts, and some diamond stitched leather (I do like the look of that!).

The F-Type is all about titillation and theater, and the SVR rides at the top of this standard. JLR must create an image that conveys them from the actual cost of changes to the maximum price they think they can wring out of us.

One side of me hates being played like this, but at the end of the day, I am a willing fool, and every time I go out for a drive, I couldn't care less!

TR64ever (11-25-2017)
Old 11-09-2016, 06:39 PM

Looks are indeed subjective. To me the SVR fixes the visual bit I'm not a fan of on the R - the double gills at the front. Every other addition is a visual improvement as well IMO. The wing looks great, as do the side blade thingos.
The carbon on the front and rear diffusers was also badly needed.

As far as performance - read some reviews. The suspension tweaks have actually been lauded by reviewers. The consensus is that they've somehow made a car that is more comfortable than the rest of the range AND more capable on track - which is no mean feat. This is probably partly due to the aero tweaks though (the flat underbody would be a significant part of that).
I track my cars quite a bit, and will notice the difference.

Is it worth the price difference? That's another question. Possibly not. It's still clearly the best version of the line though, any way you slice it. I'd been looking at the R for a while, thinking "if they just released something a LITTLE more special I'd get it" (Moving from R8). The SVR came along and seems to fit that bill.

Mbourne (11-09-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 09:06 AM

Looks like we've gone as far as we can on this one! I hope you get to the point where you jump in with the SVR - it's an awesome machine, and clearly top of the heap technically. I haven't had my F-Type for long, but it's given me more fun and satisfaction than any other car I've owned. Of course I don't know what you've had in your stable over the years, but I'm sure you'd have similar feelings.

It's interesting you mention not liking the double gills on the R. I actually quite like them, and I can remember reading comments elsewhere on the forum along the same lines. People either liked or disliked this feature in particular, so I guess it must be the polarizing element of the front design.

Getting back to the spy shots of the 2018, I just hope that when the wrap comes off and the design can be fully appreciated, the whole look is more refined and holistic than the current photos suggest.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Old 11-11-2016, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Shearwig
Looks like we've gone as far as we can on this one! I hope you get to the point where you jump in with the SVR - it's an awesome machine, and clearly top of the heap technically. I haven't had my F-Type for long, but it's given me more fun and satisfaction than any other car I've owned. Of course I don't know what you've had in your stable over the years, but I'm sure you'd have similar feelings.

It's interesting you mention not liking the double gills on the R. I actually quite like them, and I can remember reading comments elsewhere on the forum along the same lines. People either liked or disliked this feature in particular, so I guess it must be the polarizing element of the front design.

Getting back to the spy shots of the 2018, I just hope that when the wrap comes off and the design can be fully appreciated, the whole look is more refined and holistic than the current photos suggest.
Cheers.
I am ready to jump in now...decision-wise anyway. I'm setting myself up in a new country and currently living out of a hotel, so a place to live needs to be sorted first (literally - in Japan you can't purchase a car without a place to registered to park it...!).

The 2 cars I sold before I left were an SLK55 AMG and Audi R8 (4.2 - they sound better and are more balanced on track). I need to purchase 2 cars (well 3 including the wife-mobile)...one as a daily and one for the track. I am pretty much 100% decided on a Z06 for the latter (though the Evora 400 is a valid contender as well), but the daily is proving harder. It's really down to the SVR, new NSX or GT-S. The GTS is fast, sounds good, has a great interior, but looks horrible. The NSX is faster, sounds terrible, has an average interior but looks fantastic. The SVR is the slowest, has an average interior, but sounds incredible and looks every bit as good as the NSX (in a different way).

At this point even if the refresh fixes the interior quality issues, it'll be too far away for me, so I may well just bite the bullet, order as-is and hope I don't hate myself too much when they finally reveal the update...!

Yeah, those vents are a point of contention. somehow they just always looked out of place and kind of cheapish to me somehow. Just replacing them with gaping intakes was an excellent move IMO.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2018 R AWD
Storm Grey Red Interior Back Rims Black top _ SOLD!

Old 01-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by triplekg
2018 R AWD
congrats. How long do you have to wait for it?

Old 01-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
congrats. How long do you have to wait for it?
not sure yet - they still haven't finalized the packages yet so price isn't confirmed but Ive been promised the first ordering slot.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by triplekg
2018 R AWD
I guess you mean 2017 MY. The 2018MY is on the assembly line along with the 2017 but I don't think they are being released yet. I've ordered and am waiting for my car and did wonder if I should have waited for the 2018MY.
Pic of one on the line...
Name:  fcc9845e2d6bcfc3cefa5012646fbbfe_zps8e6pbmcl.jpg
Views: 2510
Size:  337.8 KB

Old 01-03-2017, 09:57 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec
I guess you mean 2017 MY. The 2018MY is on the assembly line along with the 2017 but I don't think they are being released yet...
Model year in England is different than in North America.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

The 10. letter in the VIN code is the official model year of the car. F=15, G=16, H=17, I=18......

Old 01-10-2017, 05:01 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
JgaXkr (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 07:41 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Ooooo very interesting! Looks like there is gonna be a lot to talk about.

Will be keeping my eye on this!

but f-type 400 sport??? whats that all about? F type S was way better.

A few other sites list additional details also, self parking for example

Old 01-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pics of updated F Type

CarBUZZ.com has several pics and engine updates regarding the 2018 model
posted today. Not a fan of the new front end.

Quick Reply: 2018MY updated F-Type? - Spy shots, discussion