F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Where are all the speakers located and is there a list of what they are?

My only 'disappointment', if you can even call it that, is that the Meridian sound system in my vehicle sounds anemic, rattle'y and tin'y at times. For the money and the sheer number of speakers, it should be vibrating alarms on when I drive by if it's up.

I count six speakers in both doors (total), one in the center mount on the dash for seven. Two behind each seat for 9. That leaves another 3 I do not see.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Where are all the speakers located and is there a list of what they are?

My only 'disappointment', if you can even call it that, is that the Meridian sound system in my vehicle sounds anemic, rattle'y and tin'y at times. For the money and the sheer number of speakers, it should be vibrating alarms on when I drive by if it's up.

I count six speakers in both doors (total), one in the center mount on the dash for seven. Two behind each seat for 9. That leaves another 3 I do not see.
The speaker system RATTLES??!?!?! Thats one of the reasons I boughta nother XKR after my XKR-S was I was so enamered at the Fit and Finish of these cars...100% no rattling and everything seems SOLID as a FINE OAK TREE!! I am flabbergasted that your speakers are rattling. Id go straight to the dealership!!

Loth

Old 11-23-2013, 07:15 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I had to turn the bass way down on my base Meridian system - the subs distorted badly.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rattles?

Jaguar is aware of an issue with the Meridian system and is currently working with Meridian music on a fix. One thing that has been found is some of the rattle is actually coming from the base system agitating some of the wiring in the door panels and behind the seats causing a "Rattle" sound. If you turn the base down (Which you shouldnt have to do) it eliminates most of the rattles. They system is so powerful it is rattling the car.

The following users liked this post:
Tommy Ferrugia (09-15-2016)
Old 11-23-2013, 06:21 PM

I have had really nice systems in my vehicles since I was younger and this one unfortunately, is one of the poorer performing audio systems. It does rattle sometimes, which comes with having your bass up. But the sound is just not full. I have had two people get in my car and say, 'why does it sound so muffled and bad'. No idea why.

The HD radio signal also switches back and forth from the non-HD frequency and makes it borderline impossible to listen to the radio since it cuts on/off quite frequently.

I have yet to hook up an Ipod or a CD, so I cannot attest if it's just the BT signal getting degraded somehow, but overall, for the cost, it's an option I would have chose to avoid.

Someone else wrote about their car coming with some features missing, which is why I asked if anyone knew where all the speakers were so I could count them. My wife has a 2013 Bettle Vert with the Fender system in it and to be honest, hers sounds better which boggles my mind.

Maybe the wiring being loose is what is causing sound distortion, perfectly possible. Wires banging against the inside of a door panel could make it sound like the audio was distorted.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

No distortion rattle in the old Bowers and Wilkins audio system in the XKR. However it does not have the deepest richest sound. No fit or finish rattle in the doors either!

Old 11-25-2013, 03:06 PM

Hooked an Ipod up directly to the car... I didn't have the same song to stream via Bluetooth from my phone, so I could not make a comparison. But it seemed to sound cleaner. I have had people complain they cannot hear me very well with the BT on and I have had to switch to handset mode... so maybe its the BT. I dunno at this point as I have an Iphone 5S and it should work just fine.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Sound

I got the upgraded sound system and no real issues except it is scary loud. I haven't had the ***** to try to turn it up to full volume, I think my ears would bleed. But sound quality is in line with the massive sound system I had installed in my old XKR and I paid a fortune for that thing. So I'm actually pretty happy.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
I got the upgraded sound system and no real issues except it is scary loud. I haven't had the ***** to try to turn it up to full volume, I think my ears would bleed. But sound quality is in line with the massive sound system I had installed in my old XKR and I paid a fortune for that thing. So I'm actually pretty happy.
Would those of you happy with the system care to share the settings you've tuned it to?

Thanks.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Default Settings

Originally Posted by drgek
Would those of you happy with the system care to share the settings you've tuned it to?

Thanks.

I'm set to DTS surround balance is center with a slight front bias, bass, treble, sub are set to slightly over half. Mine is the 1,100 watt system.

drgek (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
I'm set to DTS surround balance is center with a slight front bias, bass, treble, sub are set to slightly over half. Mine is the 1,100 watt system.
Thanks. I have that system on order and will try similar settings to start when the car is received.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:30 AM

-ENDERLE

Think you mean the 770w system??? Even Jaguar.com doesn't make clear sense regarding which system has which power. They show a 180, 380 and 770w system. Didn't realize there were three options.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:18 AM

-ENDERLE

Think you mean the 770w system??? Even Jaguar.com doesn't make clear sense regarding which system has which power. They show a 180, 380 and 770w system. Didn't realize there were three options.
Thank you for that correction, I have the 770 watt on order.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Default Yep 770

-ENDERLE

Yep, sorry 770w. Not sure where the hell I got 1,100 watts.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 770 Watt system distorts as well and a generally muddy sound. Anyone get the dealer to fix it?

Jim Jones
2014 F-type V8S now at 5k miles

Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I find the I pod and the CD’s sound MUCH better then ANY received signal.

When I plugged in my Apple I pod the display said both would not work at the same time. What they MEANT to say was the ipod would go silent when talking on the phone or receiving a call.

Lot’s of guess work / hit and miss with setting up the car.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:06 PM

You cannot stream Bluetooth while the phone is plugged in which makes no sense.

And no. No solution on the speakers yet. Was hoping a few more people would post the same thing before I even thought of bringing it up. Sound is a preference and not something that can be 'fixed' unless there really is something wrong. I still think it sounds like crap for what you pay for. :/

The following 2 users liked this post by New2Jag:
jjones (01-04-2014), slojotaa (04-02-2015)
Old 01-05-2014, 08:15 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

I have the base Meridien system, and the speaker really aren't very good. I have some MB Quart component speakers I removed from my previous car. I may talk to an installer to see if they might fit - haven't located any info yet on speaker sizes.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 AM

You cannot stream Bluetooth while the phone is plugged in which makes no sense.
Same is true in my '13 Range Rover. I have an iPod in there, and can only stream from my phone if I disconnect the iPod.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

I asked a Jaguar rep on another board about speaker sizes and locations. I have the base 380W Meridian system. His response...

I have spoken with our technical team and unfortunately I am unable to get this information for you as it its required to take the vehicle away from manufacturers specification. I can advise that your vehicle comprises of:
2 Tweeters – One tweeter located in each door.
2 Mid-Range Speakers – One mid-range speaker located in each door.
2 Bass Speakers – One bass speaker is located in each door.
2 Rear Speakers – Both rear speakers located behind the passenger compartment rear trim.
2 Sub-Woofer – Both sub-woofers located behind the passenger compartment rear trim.
I'm assuming the mid-range/bass speakers in the door are coaxial, not separate speakers, and the same for the rear/subwoofer. I may have someone check, not sure I have the ***** to pull the door liner off - always hated doing that.

There is also this:
https://www.meridian-audio.com/en/au...-sound-system/

The center speaker on the dash is only there for the 770W system.

Last edited by DJS; 04-04-2014 at 10:58 AM.
CaptainDavid (02-02-2017)

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question