F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any amusing/interesting stories involving Law Enforcement and "spirited" driving? :-)

Old 03-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Any amusing/interesting stories involving Law Enforcement and "spirited" driving? :-)

Old 03-25-2016, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Pulled over on my first test drive!

The following users liked this post:
mikelanzetta (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 01:47 AM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Knocking furiously on wood, but had no interactions with the boys in blue at all since I bought my F.

The following 2 users liked this post by AnD3rew:
ImNotFamousAnymore (03-29-2016), mikelanzetta (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

I've installed lowering springs...I prefer to remain under the radar.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
jaguny (03-27-2016), mikelanzetta (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 07:13 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Dunno if this counts. Was out with my daughter's bf in my SLK. Got it sideways pretty good. He loved it. He's a cop.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

I posted this story in another thread and didn't get a response, not even a tut This is in England. The bill have plenty of unmarked fast cars and fast bikes.

There was a time when I was out in my BMW E60 545 V8.
I got into playing with a WRX Subaru Imprezza turbo one summers evening after he baited me leaving a village.
I was bouncing the Beema off the limit. Traction light flickering like a strobe. I was leaving the scoob for dead on the straights, but he was better in the bends. After 3 miles of playing I was pulling away hard uphill away from the scoob. But I got blinded by a wall of blue lights from behind. Got me. Scoob was an unmarked full traffic car. Plain black with blacked out windows.

I had to play it by the book when he stopped me. Fortunately I know what to do, but I was still very lucky.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Busa,

You are going to need to tell us more. What do you mean you know what to do and you were very lucky? It sounds like he nailed you fair and square and here in the USA you surely would have a received a traffic ticket, perhaps even for reckless driving.
Larry

Old 03-26-2016, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Way back when in the UK I was driving home from near St Paul's Cathedral thru Lewisham after a night shift. I was on a back street in the early hours with no other traffic and I slid around a corner a little sideways and lo and behold there was a Panda Car just sitting on the side of the road.

Slowed way down and sure enough they caught up with me and I slowed to a stop.

Panda cars were very small. Two huge burly and pug nosed cops got out and one searched the boot while the other, thru my open window, said in perfect Queens English
" sir, with very few exceptions the speed limit around here is 30 mph. Have a good day".

I think they had more important business but I always remember the fact they looked like bare knuckle boxers who had been knocked around a few times and were heavy but not with fat and they spoke perfect Queens English.

How they managed to fit themselves in that Panda Car was also amazing.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Busa,

You are going to need to tell us more. What do you mean you know what to do and you were very lucky? It sounds like he nailed you fair and square and here in the USA you surely would have a received a traffic ticket, perhaps even for reckless driving.
Larry

The speeds we were doing were time inside prison kind of speeds.
As a lifetime biker and into certain behavior with ultra fast bikes, you have to know the law and what to do and not to do when you get stopped which bikers tend to on a regular basis.

It was potentially a bad situation even though the car was speed limited at 155. Tbh the cop baited me and he was playing out on the road. He could have stopped me at any time before he did. I know how that particular police authority work in respect of speeding. There is an element of traffic police "playing". I've been baited on the road before by that police force.
The 5 was all black including tints and 20" Schnitzer racing alloys in black.
Looked sick. 0 to 60 in 5.5

Well the first thing to do was to stop the car, get out and walk over to the officer at the curb side. I'm a 6 foot 2" tall big biker and was dressed all in black and wearing a 1%er bike club support sweatshirt.

I knew I was going to lose that argument and it was just a matter of how much was I going to lose by?
For me it was a damage limitation exercise.

My first slow gesture was to open my hands out and say sorry, you've got me, I was speeding.
That blew him off track because they are not expecting that response.
He asked me if I had been drinking and I replied that I don't drink any alcohol because I don't.
So the passenger seat cop asks me to go and sit in the car while they do some checks.
As he opened the rear door of the scoob, there was no way I could get on its so compact and I'm a big guy.

After some wrangling with the seat to move it forwards I folded myself in half and got in the back. They checked me out on the police database. Then they asked me about the car. What engine was it and how long had I had it.

I told them the truth and that I just bought it for cash when my compensation claim was settled for a nasty bike smash neat to where I was pulled. Chances are these two cops would know about that.
The driver was looking a bit sheepish and I reckon he knew I knew what they had been doing. I explained that I am one of the local bikers and well known in that area.

Cutting to the chase, the co pilot came out with an offer. Either take a small fine now with some low endorsements on my license or go to court and be charged with a serious crime for the speeds involved.

Well I could have punched the air at that moment !!!!! I tore his hand off at the lesser option !!! That was a let off. Big style! !!
Even if they hadn't got it on tape, two uniformed traffic cops in court would have counted against me. I knew that.

Most people get angry or argue and lose in that situation. But I had no defence tbh so I just played it the best way I could. But even so I was lucky and they cut me some major slack.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Busa
I posted this story in another thread and didn't get a response, not even a tut This is in England. The bill have plenty of unmarked fast cars and fast bikes.

There was a time when I was out in my BMW E60 545 V8.
I got into playing with a WRX Subaru Imprezza turbo one summers evening after he baited me leaving a village.
I was bouncing the Beema off the limit. Traction light flickering like a strobe. I was leaving the scoob for dead on the straights, but he was better in the bends. After 3 miles of playing I was pulling away hard uphill away from the scoob. But I got blinded by a wall of blue lights from behind. Got me. Scoob was an unmarked full traffic car. Plain black with blacked out windows.

I had to play it by the book when he stopped me. Fortunately I know what to do, but I was still very lucky.
Wow! That's one of my nightmares to be jockeying around with another car only to find out its a cop. Yikes.

Busa (04-13-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Way back when in the UK I was driving home from near St Paul's Cathedral thru Lewisham after a night shift. I was on a back street in the early hours with no other traffic and I slid around a corner a little sideways and lo and behold there was a Panda Car just sitting on the side of the road.

Slowed way down and sure enough they caught up with me and I slowed to a stop.

Panda cars were very small. Two huge burly and pug nosed cops got out and one searched the boot while the other, thru my open window, said in perfect Queens English
" sir, with very few exceptions the speed limit around here is 30 mph. Have a good day".

I think they had more important business but I always remember the fact they looked like bare knuckle boxers who had been knocked around a few times and were heavy but not with fat and they spoke perfect Queens English.

How they managed to fit themselves in that Panda Car was also amazing.
Great story!

jackra_1 (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Mikelanzetta. That episode was in the early seventies. In my driving "career" I have been stopped numerous times and many times with far less good outcomes.

My father and I used to travel from Tonbridge to Dungeness very early in the morning to go fishing.

We used to take it in turns driving and to see who could make the quickest times.

Once when he was driving we came up to an ordinary looking car where the two occupants were wearing what looked like flat white naval hats. It was dark but the hats really showed up. My father asked me whether he should overtake and I said yes.

He did and was stopped a short way down the road and ticketed!

That was the first and last time I saw police wearing such hats.

Not long after this he totaled his car in a bad crash with several rollovers. He was not wearing a seat belt but did not have a scratch on him!

Old 03-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

This past fall, I road tripped the F-Type out to California from Dallas. This blasted car urges it's driver ever faster, and I admit that as I was rolling westward through central Texas, I indulged in a bit of excess speed.

Being as I am getting ancient, I have some sense of when and where the police tend to lay in wait. It was then that I met "The fastest man on I-20". He came from behind me as I was overtaking a line of semi-trucks. He was driving a red Chrysler something or other with one of those hellcat motors. In spite of my 90+ MPH speed, he wanted to show me he was fast, and he wanted to speed check the Scotsman in the British buggy.

So, I coaxed Nessie to go faster, and faster we went. Long ago, in my careless youth, I discovered that no matter what car you drive - it's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you will go. Up we climbed, past the century mark, and faster still. He could not overtake me, in spite of his over-sized engine. There were only 2 lanes and I was willing to go a bit faster than he was. Lord how he tried.

Then ahead, there was an overpass. The best place for law enforcement to restrain the foolish and the hasty. With a flurry of pops and crackles, I took the F-Type down to 75. "The Fastest Man On I-20" was outraged. With slower traffic in the right lane, he was stuck behind me. He rode my bumper and lay on the horn.

As we crested the overpass, the expected Texas DPS SUV was in the center median. Through some trick of optics or slow thinking, the fellow in the government bail-out jalopy did not see the patrol car. I was finally able to pull to the right hand lane, and he rocketed away, beaming with his victory over the green pest.

As sure as the sun rises in the morning, the DPS officer launched in pursuit. At this point, I considered the encounter complete. I waited a polite amount of time, pulled back into the right hand lane and accelerated.

Before I overtook the police officer with his quarry pulled to the side of the road, a second police cruiser was sighted in my rear view mirror, accelerating hard towards me. To my right were two semis, making 65 MPH in a 70 zone, with just over 30 feet between them. I deftly pulled between them and matched speed.

As the cruiser reached me, he hung in my blind spot for some time, speeding up and slowing down, as if searching for some way to dislodge me from my comfortable place between the trucks. These wonderful truckers did not change speed, and there was no space for the officer to pull in behind me. After many minutes of what I can only assume was mounting frustration, the state trooper pulled away and accelerated down the highway, searching out his next target.

I am forever grateful to those long-haul truckers.

Orkney

The following 6 users liked this post by Orkney:
4Holer (03-27-2016), fabfive (03-26-2016), Foosh (03-27-2016), ImNotFamousAnymore (03-29-2016), jackra_1 (03-26-2016), mikelanzetta (03-26-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-26-2016, 08:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Driving along the coast, I was stuck behind local traffic and crawling along. When the road opened up, I gave it a relatively short "boost of speed," only to realize that an unmarked police car was behind me. She (yes, female officer) lit up her car and I pulled over to the left lane. She pulled up beside me, and as I rolled down my window, she smiled, then said sternly, "You have a nice car, but you REALLY need to slow it down." While getting off with a warning is always nice, it's even better when coupled with a compliment.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:57 PM

Excellent write up, Orkney!

I love the cat and mouse games.

I once did a similar thing to some doofus who was obnoxiously all up in my business while I was 15 over in the left lane (in my MK X). Waited until we were at a well known hot spot. I pulled over to the right lane to let him through, picked up my speed (because after being on my butt, he couldn't NOT pass me, and by me speeding, he would be speeding even more, hehe), and sure enough, bam, he gets nailed.

Sweet satisfaction. :-)

Old 03-27-2016, 01:46 AM
Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts

One of my old drinking buddies, coincidentally a police officer, wanted to test out his new early 2000's Impala police cruiser (the next day after drinking of course), so I did the right thing and showed him what VW 337 tail lights look like on a mile stretch (modded car, so not a fair race). He would try to match up his 5.0 (ironic right?) up to any car I was running at the time, funny when you have to tell the police officer we should keep it on the race track. I was never lucky enough to get pulled over by him, but he did mess with me more than a few times super trooper style. Fitting as we were living in VT at the time

Old 03-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelanzetta
Excellent write up, Orkney!

I love the cat and mouse games.

I once did a similar thing to some doofus who was obnoxiously all up in my business while I was 15 over in the left lane (in my MK X). Waited until we were at a well known hot spot. I pulled over to the right lane to let him through, picked up my speed (because after being on my butt, he couldn't NOT pass me, and by me speeding, he would be speeding even more, hehe), and sure enough, bam, he gets nailed.

Sweet satisfaction. :-)
Excellent . . . this is my preferred technique as well for dealing that kind of obnoxious behavior. It works well. I see it virtually everyday around here.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-27-2016 at 09:25 AM.
mikelanzetta (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Any amusing/interesting stories involving Law Enforcement and "spirited" driving? :-)

Had an almost encounter while riding my motorcycle on a two lane highway. I was young and working for my father at the time and was told last minute that I needed to go to a rural town to file some legal documents. The round trip was about an hour and a half and I had plans that evening and still had to go home and change.

So I was making quick work of the traffic, passing 4-5 cars at a time and reaching speeds of 120+ in bursts. As I started getting close to the town, there was one more car in front of me, but he was moving well, so I just pulled in behind him since I knew it would become a 45 zone in about a half mile.

As we reached the fork in the road that led into town, there was a California Highway Patrol sitting on the median, and as soon as I went by, he lit them up and pulled up behind me. I figured they must have had the plane out and I didn't see it. I just knew I was toast. I pulled over and he went by me and pulled over the car in front of me. Couldn't believe it!

Needless to say, I went very politely about my business the rest of the evening and was late to my function. But at least I wasn't in jail...

Have many other law enforcement stories, but none with as good of an outcome. Usually they screw me and gives me less than a break, sometimes significantly less...

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 03-27-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm incredibly lucky. No tickets for over 40 years. Here's a couple of crotch rocket stories.

Riding on the main highway going south there's a place where MSP puts radar often. Not thinking about it, I was going too fast. Going down the hill, MSP steps into the road (they do that here) and points. I point to myself because there are cars behind me as well. He points to me, waves my by and smiles. Car behind me wasn't so lucky.

Going north on the same highway way too fast in the city (something like 80) in the left lane. Marked car lights me up. I slow down and turn on the right turn signal to move over thinking, "this is not going to be good." Cop follows me into the right lane. I'm about to move onto the shoulder and his lights go out.

Last edited by Dogbreath!; 03-27-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

I used to have an bright iridescent blue Porsche 911.

On a bright sunny day on rte 495 in MA with no cars around except for one police car way ahead I got a ticket.

I followed this police car for several miles keeping him quite a way ahead maybe a mile.

All of a sudden he pulled to the side, got out and waved me down and ticketed me based on his estimation of my speed.

Its ok for the police to go above the speed limit when not on an emergency call since they are above the law right.

Search this Thread