F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Besides getting tailed all the time - and often another car will take the next lane over for a better look, never mind ALL the thumbs up I get (read = lots) - I guess the funniest thing in the 10-months I've had my 2015 V6S was the time when I was approaching a traffic light and the guy behind me came to an abrupt stop, jumped out of his car like he was being shot out of a cannon, ran in front of my car and gave me the biggest two thumbs up - along with a huge smile - anyone could possibly hope for (not that I was hoping for anything; other than not being assaulted by some mad man).

The following users liked this post:
Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 08-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm going to Target and manage to snag a close spot (bordering a handicapped space so 50% reduction in door dings) when a loaded minivan pulls up next to me. I debate bailing but the older Asian man in the front seat seems to be staring at the car in wonderment and it's a sliding door so I take my chances.

I guess the boffins at Target have some sort of algorithim for how long a customer will be in the store because we both exit at about the same time. So I'm backing out slowly because 1. F-Type and 2. Family walking towards their minivan. Dad is carrying a toddler whom blurts out "You have a COOOOOOL car mister!" Being a vert, it was easy to reply "stay in school" as I left.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Stopped at the lights and a young bloke in a BRZ pulls up beside me sticks his head out the window and says "thanks for not buying a BMW"
Nice!

You can't swing your arms without hitting a couple BMW's and a Porsche in this area, so I can appreciate the sentiment. Thats one of the reasons I went with the F-Type myself.

SupermansQueen (06-20-2021)
Old 08-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

There is something about these cars that makes people ok to approach you, I don't think the same happens with ferraris etc because I think they scare people off a bit and it is a bit different and unique.

I reckon I get at least one thumbs up a day and I reckon about half the time I stop at a fuel station someone will come up and talk to me.

I drove to Canberra the other day and stopped at a highway McDonalds for a coffee and a break and a guy in a truck with work boots and high vis vest pulled off the highway behind me and followed me in and came up when I got out to say "nice motor". And then asked me if it was mine or if I was delivering it for someone ��

Last edited by AnD3rew; 08-13-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:53 PM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

I am sitting in the lobby of a big hotel and I left my car with the valet and he has put it right out the front on the ramp so I can see it. It is drawing quite a crowd pretty much every male that walks past stops to have a look and then large discussions break out with lots of peering and pointing.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:04 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

A few months ago I went to a BMW dealership to see their new I8. When I came out, there were 4 BMW mechanics and 3 salesmen gathered around my R coupe.
They also wanted to hear it as I started up. I thought it was pretty funny. By the way, the I8 listed for $134,000 AND had a $50,000 "market adjustment" added by the dealer.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member

Last night my wife and I - along with our miniature Australian Labradoodle Scarlett - attended the grand opening of a remodeled [10M+] BMW dealership (the i8 is pretty gorgeous IMO) and not only did EVERYONE from the dealership who was greeting everyone entering with their cars (mostly, as you can imagine, BMW's) going nuts over my F-Type - we're talking about a dozen employees - but throughout the splendid event (attended by about 200+ invitees) everyone from ALL the dealership employees (dozens) to MANY of the attendees were eyeing and milling about the F-Type. Not sure how happy the dealership could be since they don't own the Jaguar dealership. Oh well. (A great time was had my all).

Old 08-14-2015, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
....... (the i8 is pretty gorgeous IMO) .... going nuts over my F-Type
The i8 is certainly gorgeous, but it for some reason just doesn't offer the same aural satisfaction as any of the F-Types.
signed: Captain Obvious.

Mark7Seven (10-07-2021)
Old 08-14-2015, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Tche i8 is certainly gorgeous, but it for some reason just doesn't offer the same aural satisfaction as any of the F-Types.
signed: Captain Obvious.
Quite right Captain Obvious. I actually thought about exactly that this morning as I was gratifying myself (easy now) with aural pleasures of our F-Types as I went through the gears on my way to work this magnificent Friday morning.

I did not have the opportunity to hear what the i8 sounds like - either in electric mode or otherwise - but I did think it was drop-dead gorgeous (and I'm sure festooned with the latest technology?).

Having said that - and, sure if I had money to burn I might consider buying one - the beauty of OUR cars is the F-Type strikes the perfect balance of all the right notes (literally and figuratively) and why there isn't any alternative IMO. The i8 - and other exotics - has too much "look at me and how cool - and rich - I am" whereas we know what we have without being, shall I say, overly flashy. Never mind I think the F-Type - in all colors and sizes - is drop-dead gorgeous too.

My 2-cents.

Enjoy the ride Lance, TODAY! Giddy-Up!!!

Old 08-14-2015, 09:44 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 3 amusing incidents...so far.....

A few days after taking delivery of our F-Type S, we went to the Phoenician Resort for dinner and left the car with the hotel valet. When we came out, the Jag was parked in the in the "on display" circle, not stashed in the garage. It was the first time any of our vehicles have been put on show for other hotel guests. Our dinner friends noticed the Jag's special treatment.

The building engineer in our place was so fascinated by the car that he took a picture of the boot end, and then told me he waited a few days until I backed it into the space to take a picture of the bonnet end.

My MIL was amused by such a noisy exhaust on such an expensive car. Saving cost by using a cheap muffler?

Desert Hiker

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 08-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Aston Martin

I was at a stop light yesterday and a group of guys in a honda down the street yell at me "is that an Aston Martin" nope i say it a jaguar I then see them all talking to each other int he car in shock they then drive by me yell nice car.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

I just got back from a trip to the beach with my son and his family. He's a Porsche devotee and currently has a 911 Turbo. This trip was his first chance to meet the F-Type. As I've told in another post, when I had told him about the frequency that I get comments on the Jag, his response was "Dad, you know what THAT means...it means you're parking too close to the store." Well, he took it out one of the first nights we were there and got to experience not just one, but three people who overtly commented on the car. As he told the story, I laughed, and said "and, you had to tell them it was you DAD'S car." We both got an added chuckle on that.

BTW, he came away thoroughly impressed with all aspects of the F-Type, including a note that he might have to look into some getting some exhaust tuning done.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

The other day at a stop light, I overheard guy askin his buds: " Man....is that a f***ing Tesla?"
De-badging clearly confuses despite leaving the leaper.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-30-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

The other day at a stop light, I overheard guy askin his buds: " Man....is that a f***ing Tesla?"
All they needed to do was listen... the Tesla sounds like a golf cart and the F is 'out of this world'.
Lawrence

Old 08-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At my previous company, there were several Teslas in the lot. I went out to leave, and after I'd started it up and was pulling out, a guy flagged me down.

He said he was rounding the corner of the building and said at first glance he thought it was "just another Tesla" until I started it up.

We chatted for a good 10 minutes about the F-Type. I got more compliments and people wanting to see and hear the car, and go for a ride, in the first couple weeks, than I ever got about the 2006 911 I had.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:41 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Too many funny interactions to list them all. I'd say 60% of the time, I get the thumbs up or some other type of visual cue of approval. It also tends to confuse some when they realize I'm in my twenties when I step out.

The following 2 users liked this post by ImNotFamousAnymore:
jetsetter883 (03-20-2021), SupermansQueen (06-20-2021)
Old 08-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ImNotFamousAnymore
Too many funny interactions to list them all. I'd say 60% of the time, I get the thumbs up or some other type of visual cue of approval. It also tends to confuse some when they realize I'm in my twenties when I step out.
Hey! A fellow youngster! I'm 27, yourself?

I get some people thinking it's a Tesla or Maserati sometimes. I used to be quiet and mature when I was younger, or such was my reputation, so childhood friend are always shocked that I got a loud red muscle/sports car. I guess it's funny, but I don't laugh cuz I find it insulting.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 AM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
Hey! A fellow youngster! I'm 27, yourself?

I get some people thinking it's a Tesla or Maserati sometimes. I used to be quiet and mature when I was younger, or such was my reputation, so childhood friend are always shocked that I got a loud red muscle/sports car. I guess it's funny, but I don't laugh cuz I find it insulting.
Yes, indeed. I'm 25 and also have gotten the "That's a Tesla, right?" I can count half a dozen times people asked or were pretty confident that it was a Ferrari. Being a salsa red S with 20" tornados does lend itself to a type of Italian racing-esque mystique. Another instance that came to mind was while recieving the car from valet, the valet exited the car and said "this is the coolest car I've ever been in." This was easily one of the most upscale hotels in our city so I reply with, yeah but you get Rolls and Lamborghinis on a regular basis and he just says, "Yeah but there's just something the F-Type." "Fair enough," I said. "I feel the same way."

Old 08-31-2015, 12:26 PM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

On the road I've had people pull up next to me an point a finger to their ear -- I figured out that they want to hear the roar. So I turn on the loud switch and give them a taste.

I've parked in the back of parking lots, its safer and walking is good for you. I took the car to a Home Depot and parked all alone in the back of the lot.

When I was walking back to the car my heart practically stopped: my car was surrounded by contractor's trucks, lots of burly guys milling around, smoking and hanging out. They were all waiting to talk to me (it was the end of the day). They were all car guys, very interested in the car, it took me 30 minutes to finish the 1-car show, answer all the questions and leave.

The following 3 users liked this post by TR64ever:
Pauluucho (11-26-2021), SupermansQueen (06-20-2021), tolson (04-19-2023)
Old 08-31-2015, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
On the road I've had people pull up next to me an point a finger to their ear -- I figured out that they want to hear the roar. So I turn on the loud switch and give them a taste.

I've parked in the back of parking lots, its safer and walking is good for you. I took the car to a Home Depot and parked all alone in the back of the lot.

When I was walking back to the car my heart practically stopped: my car was surrounded by contractor's trucks, lots of burly guys milling around, smoking and hanging out. They were all waiting to talk to me (it was the end of the day). They were all car guys, very interested in the car, it took me 30 minutes to finish the 1-car show, answer all the questions and leave.
Amazing, that's also happened to me multiple times in the back of the Home Depot parking lot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?