Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any way to disable spoiler on ftype?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Azvipers
Another issue is the leaping cat badge on the spoiler on a sunny day can blind you while you look in the rear view if the spoiler is up. I painted mine black and that has helped...
I could see that being a problem...I plan on tinting my windows as soon as I get the car so that will probably help but you're right...and with my car being all white with black everything,that leaper emblem should really be black anyway.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Back to the point people.
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DISABLE REAR SPOILER ?
I would love to know how.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by KennB44
The chief mechanic at the shop where I bought my F type would likely know this as he is into all the basic modifications so I'll ask him on Monday and we'll see what he says. (assuming he isn't on vacation)

For instance, he has already told me to take the underneath cover off from below the engine and he said there is a baffle under the hood vents that comes off... all to improve cooling assuming hard driving. Or, at least thats what I understood him to say when I last saw him at a Jaguar event.. It was quickly in passing and I meant to have him show me, but I forgot before I left. I assume if you are really racing this car though, the underneath cover may provide some sort of aerodynamics. Anyway, concerning the spoiler, we'll see on Monday.
Lawrence.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by KennB44
Hit it with something big and heavy.

Or, take it to the dealer and ask them to disable it.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dremorg
Wow. I guess I'm the only one that likes the thing.
I like it. But, I have owned a total of 5 VW Corrados (may have been called the SLC in the US).

Old 07-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Please let us know what you find out. I also don't like the look of it and would be great if I can request the dealer to deactivate it before I take delivery.

Originally Posted by Mulmur
The chief mechanic at the shop where I bought my F type would likely know this as he is into all the basic modifications so I'll ask him on Monday and we'll see what he says. (assuming he isn't on vacation)

For instance, he has already told me to take the underneath cover off from below the engine and he said there is a baffle under the hood vents that comes off... all to improve cooling assuming hard driving. Or, at least thats what I understood him to say when I last saw him at a Jaguar event.. It was quickly in passing and I meant to have him show me, but I forgot before I left. I assume if you are really racing this car though, the underneath cover may provide some sort of aerodynamics. Anyway, concerning the spoiler, we'll see on Monday.
Lawrence.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

best case scenario, the jag f-type spoiler looks like the trunk was left open.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag_guy_2020
best case scenario, the jag f-type spoiler looks like the trunk was left open.
Maybe if you stuck it shut with Bondo and fitted the boot spoiler from a Grand Am over the top?

Old 07-13-2014, 09:09 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Interesting pix. Looks quite a bit different than the Vert spoiler.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
...For instance, he has already told me to take the underneath cover off from below the engine and he said there is a baffle under the hood vents that comes off... all to improve cooling assuming hard driving.....
Be careful about taking off the belly pan. It serves two purposes;

1) it creates a low pressure zone behind the radiator, that helps pulling cooling air through it. Without the belly pan you could have high pressure behind the radiator with loss of cooling efficiency.

2) Improves the aerodynamics by reducing drag.

Notice all fast factory cars and racing cars tend to have a continuous belly pan under the car for the above two reasons.

The following 2 users liked this post by axr6:
Mulmur (07-13-2014), Paul_59 (05-26-2019)
Old 07-13-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
Maybe if you stuck it shut with Bondo and fitted the boot spoiler from a Grand Am over the top?
lmao

Old 07-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

I simply cannot see any reason for disabling the rear spoiler in any way,shape or form...it's one of the coolest features of the car IMHO.

Bluntly speaking...perhaps if you don't like this feature,why then are you purchasing the car...?

The following users liked this post:
Phantomf4collector (05-22-2020)
Old 07-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Does the manual spoiler button even work on the coupes? It seems to do nothing on any my dealer has delivered, including mine.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
I simply cannot see any reason for disabling the rear spoiler in any way,shape or form...it's one of the coolest features of the car IMHO.

Bluntly speaking...perhaps if you don't like this feature,why then are you purchasing the car...?
spoiler pride

Old 07-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ungineer
Does the manual spoiler button even work on the coupes? It seems to do nothing on any my dealer has delivered, including mine.
The spoiler on the coupe is actually much more integral to the aerodynamic properties of the car (compared to the convertible), so the factory doesn't want you raising and lowering the spoiler while driving.

The button is there so that the spoiler can be raised and lowered for cleaning purposes. Put your car in accessory mode (press start button without your foot on the brake pedal) and the manual spoiler raise/lower button will work.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by ftypel
Please let us know what you find out. I also don't like the look of it and would be great if I can request the dealer to deactivate it before I take delivery.
Spoke briefly by phone to the mechanic and he said he would call me back in a couple of days, he is really busy right now. He did say that he was pretty sure it could be disabled and he would give me the info.
I told him my personal interest is to increase the speed when it lifts to 130-135 KM. and the reason is I like the thing, but when I'm on the highway doing a steady 120 KM (limit here is 100 so anymore than 120 and 'Barney' adds to his ticket quota) the spoiler is up constantly for hours at a time and I prefer to have more rear viewing access. When I'm passing and blasting around its cool in my opinion. He was less sure about this, but thought he might be able to adjust the settings.
Will perhaps know a bit more my end of week.
Lawrence.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts

It is electrically activated so there is probably a circuit breaker associated with it.

Walt

Old 05-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Since the fuse that controls the rear spoiler also provides power to the JaguarDrive switch on the console, (the switch you toggle to go into "Sport" mode), removing the fuse is not an option. I ALWAYS drive in Sport mode, and pressing the switch only lasts for 6 hours - then the car automatically reverts to Touring mode, requiring another press to return to Sport.
This leaves only two options:
1. Splice into the power line for the spoiler at the fuse box, (located in the footwell under the A pillar on the left side of the passenger compartment, fuse F13), and run lines to an aftermarket switch. On left hand drive cars like mine, the switch could be mounted under the dash on the left, being both easy to reach, and inconspicuous as well. This way, you could disable the spoiler any time you wanted, but still be able to restore its full operation when needed.
2. Have a Jaguar technician reprogram the software so that the spoiler deploys at a higher speed. Theoretically this should be possible, since I know for a fact that it is possible to reprogram the top speed limiter. The problem is, I doubt that Jaguar will ever provide this information to its dealer network. Someone is going to have to go into the software and figure it out for themselves. Once they do, I imagine that they would rather charge for the procedure, rather than giving the info away for free. I for one would be willing to pay, but at this point, I know of no one offering the service.
While I would rather not hack into my brand new car's wiring, at this point, I see no other option. A deployed spoiler, a red flag to even the most casual observer that I am exceeding the speed limit, is not something that I, (or my license), can live with.
Frustrating, because if the car really needs to counteract lift at a measly 70 mph, the Jaguar aerodynamicists haven't done their job.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Spoiler issues aside, welcome neighbor, from a long-time Annapolitan.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-20-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by rocspo
A deployed spoiler, a red flag to even the most casual observer that I am exceeding the speed limit, is not something that I, (or my license), can live with.
Frustrating, because if the car really needs to counteract lift at a measly 70 mph, the Jaguar aerodynamicists haven't done their job.
I assure you most cops have no idea that your spoiler popped up means you're doing 70+ mph. If they do pull you over its probably because you stand out driving a high end sports car and are in fact speeding. This is the real red flag.

As for the aerodynamics, lower speeds is where you need rear end help the most. While punching it and spinning the wheels at 30 mph (easily done) is not exceptionally dangerous, its a different story at 70 mph where you can still spin the wheels under certain conditions. Many 500 hp cars can spin the wheels on the dyno, aero aside...

Quick Reply: any way to disable spoiler on ftype?