F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone experience problems with there A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Anyone experience problems with there A/C?

I have experienced a weird problem with the A/C compressor only working sometimes and it's hard to replicate the problem. Sometimes when I turn on the climate control it will blow humid air and the A/C will not get cold. Just blow in neutral temp air and fog all the windows. If I turn off the car and turn it back on it will usually start functioning normally. Does anyone have any clue what this is?

Another weird problem, not associated with the one above, is the car windows will roll down randomly. I approached the passenger side opened the door and both Windows rolled down. The two LEDs on the driver side door were blinking as the windows rolled down. It happened 4 times. One time I returned to the car with the windows all the way down and it was luckily only lightly drizzling. I hypothesize its the smart top unit. I'll have to remove it to confirm.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:50 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Just to rule something out, is eco mode on or off when you experience the humid non-conditioned air?

What temperature are your dials showing when you experience this issue and what is the temperature outside?

Thanks.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Also, "global windows down" (ie both windows) works by holding the fob unlock/open button down for a while, so maybe your fob button is sticking?

Old 02-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Do you keep the climate control system on "Auto" and just adjust the temperature, or are you using different modes?

For me, I've found the best results by leaving it at auto and just moving the temperature up or down as needed.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Check your battery also and leave the A/c in auto constantly, it's the recommended way.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:13 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

+1 for auto setting.

I had all sorts of weird behavior from my AC when trying to set the temp manually. Random hot and cold blasts. Switched to using auto and works perfectly now, never take it off.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:23 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

In response to the last post:
Originally Posted by ek993
Random hot and cold blasts.
I was just about to post with an issue I am having. If I set the temp at say, 72 F, and it is 55 F out, the ventilation works fine for the first 1/2 hour or so. Then it starts cycling hot hot hot for a couple minutes, then cold cold cold for a couple minutes. It might average out to 72, but it sure is annoying when it happens.
I don't use auto because I don't want the AC on all the time. Is there a way to decouple them? I don't want the extra wear of the compressor or the lowered MPG from it being on all the time.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Old 02-22-2017, 09:13 PM

My A/C was in manual mode. I usually keep it in manual. When I switched it to auto it didn't help. My eco mode was off, not sure how that's related? I tried all the temperature settings when it occurred but nothing worked, besides pulling over on the highway and turning on and off the car. It just seems like the compressor decided to take a nap. It happened again while driving on the hwy and I discovered I can turn off the car while coating abs restart it like an old fashioned keyed car. That worked to get everything back to normal.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

A lot of A/C compressors nowadays aren't on or off, they're always on but under variable load....and I don't think the fuel consumption takes much of a hit regardless so might as well leave it to Auto.

The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (02-23-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:40 PM

I'm guessing this is going to be something I have to live with. It's not easily reproducible but it's happened often enough.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I'm guessing this is going to be something I have to live with. It's not easily reproducible but it's happened often enough.
Leave it on auto all the time and perhaps it will never happen again? Worth a try. I've never had my car not on "auto"

Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I think you would be far happier leaving it on auto - you won't experience discomfort with variable hot and cold blasts. It happens a lot when the system is not in auto.

The compressor won't burn out and the impact to MPG will be negligible - and anyway we drive big engined sports cars, I am pretty sure MPG wasn't a primary driver for you getting an F Type

JagAlb (05-19-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

My A/C was in manual mode. I usually keep it in manual. When I switched it to auto it didn't help. My eco mode was off, not sure how that's related? I tried all the temperature settings when it occurred but nothing worked, besides pulling over on the highway and turning on and off the car. It just seems like the compressor decided to take a nap. It happened again while driving on the hwy and I discovered I can turn off the car while coating abs restart it like an old fashioned keyed car. That worked to get everything back to normal.
I asked about eco mode because for me, if the engine shuts down, my AC blows humid air at me.

However, your other comments lead me to believe that you actually have a fault somewhere. Next time it happens, try pressing the auto button and turning the dials to "LO". Whip out the infrared thermometer and use your iphone to video tape the vent temperature and showing the LO dials. Use this evidence when bringing to the dealer and explain that it is intermittent.

That's my recommendation, but it likely requires you to pull over (which will also let you restart the car and fix the compressor) to capture the video as I think you'll need both hands to film and use the thermometer.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:05 AM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

The first few times I used A/C was months after delivery, so I thought it was just underpowered... after a trip in 100+ temps with it not doing much (we were sweating) I took it to the dealer. They fixed it and it works as expected now.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:16 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Zmoothg - I'm pretty sure there has been a TSB relating to low AC output if memory serves me well.
I think there was an issue with a temperature controlled switch in the AC system.

Try asking if your dealer can shed any light using: JTB00380 which relates to the Pressure sensing valve.

Regarding the windows - Remove the battery terminal (+'ve or -'ve) and leave the car and have a brew for ten minutes.
Reconnect the battery terminal and run the Window Reset procedure that has been posted on the forums many times (or find it in the owners manual), thst should cure it.

Last edited by Tel; 02-23-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

My new 2016 XF did this when I picked it up. Other XFs would constantly blow cold air, mine would cycle from cool to luke-ish and back again.

Dealer had to replace the entire AC compressor, which is a shared part with the F-Type, if I recall correctly. So no, you don't have to live it. It's a problem.

zmoothg (05-08-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

+1 on it being a fixable problem - had the exact same symptoms as the OP on my 2015 XJL and it needed a compressor replacement. Been perfect since the part was replaced.

zmoothg (05-08-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My AC compressor started to turn off intermittently until it just never came back on. Dealer had to completely replace the compressor. It is a known problem.

zmoothg (05-08-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:39 PM

So I had the A/C compressor replaced and the car is still doing the same thing. When I get on the car hard for a couple miles the A/C compressor will decide to stop doing its job. The only solution is to turn my car off and on, and then it works for awhile longer, but will eventually stop working again. Jaguar is still investigating and they are completely confused as to the issue, they believe it might be a software or sensor problem. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Old 05-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

So I had the A/C compressor replaced and the car is still doing the same thing. When I get on the car hard for a couple miles the A/C compressor will decide to stop doing its job. The only solution is to turn my car off and on, and then it works for awhile longer, but will eventually stop working again. Jaguar is still investigating and they are completely confused as to the issue, they believe it might be a software or sensor problem. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
search the forum. I seem to remember somebody else having a similar problem.