F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Trade-Up Before Their Lease Expired?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Anyone Trade-Up Before Their Lease Expired?

I have a 2015 S and have been "looking" at some of the prices on a few new 2016 R AWD's. I have approximately 12 months left on a 39 month lease. Customarily you get nailed if you try to opt-out of a lease prior to its completion. That said, has anyone out there attempted this?

Thanks...

Old 02-20-2017, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

This is entirely up to your negotiating skills. However, I have heard of people getting good deals lease swapping when dealing with the same dealership. Dealerships are, after all, are motivated to move cars AND have a lot of say in your lease.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:59 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Not exactly on point, but that is what I did. I traded an 18 month old Porsche Cayman S on a Jaguar F-Type R at a dealer that handles both Porsche and Jaguar. It was a non-event. I will say that the major enabler was that Porsche Financial allowed ending the lease with no penalties. Since you are probably dealing with Chase, they may well allow ending one lease concurrent with a new lease.
Larry

Old 02-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if the current lease rules are the same but we traded in our XJ three years ago with 1 year left on the lease for an Audi convertible and the transaction was the same as if we were buying the car. The lease had a payoff amount (available online to view) and the Audi dealership took in our trade and applied that towards the new car. Saved us money on taxes and we had some equity in the XJ.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:30 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

i think he's asking if JLR has a pull ahead option? as far as i know, they do not.

Porsche is famous for this - they will forgive up to 12 months of lease payments if you're going in to a new Porsche lease. It's a great program if you're way over mileage or if the payoff is way over what the car is currently worth.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:39 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

As a follow-up post...

I checked with the dealer, who had a 2016 not yet registered R that was loaded and heavily discounted. We found the early lease pay off for mine far exceeded their estimate of its current value. I decided to "settle down" on this project and wait until I have 6 months left on the lease.

Fact is, I love my IRR S and should be damn thankful to own it!

Old 03-21-2017, 04:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Last week I traded my 2014 BMW 335 I X drive with a F Type S AWD at a dealership in Toronto. The Beamer had one more year exactly left on the lease but it was a very low mileage car, around 27000Km. Jag dealership bought the car right out from BMW Canada and put me in the Jag. The only thing I suggest is to do your negotiating first and get your good price before you tell them you have a trade in as they may not be willing to give you a break since they know you want to rid yourself off an existing deal.

Cheers...