Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Art of Paddle Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
As a manual driver my whole life, can someone succinctly explain the difference of paddle shifting vs manual, and pros/cons? It seems the paddles are why people crash in all those supercar crash vids? Or just dumb guys with stupid feet.
It's not the tranny; it's the idiot behind the wheel. I like manuals and I like autos......I never understand the heated arguments one way or the other though I do get a bit nostalgic thinking that soon manual anythings will be going the way of the dinosaur.

I currently own twelve motor vehicles and 6 are manuals and 7 are autos. My motorcycles and DD are all manuals so I spend enough time shifting. I'm completely happy with the ZF 8 spd with the paddles in my F type but to each their own.

Even motorcycles are starting to become common with DCT's....eventually? ....I think the writing is one the wall. Will that make me sad? yes. Do I pine after a 6 spd in my F type? no.

YMMV (and probably will)

Dave

Old 03-13-2017, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

When you drive a car with manual gearbox you have to be constantly aware of what is happening to your car. This awareness makes you a better driver.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:43 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
To state the obvious: paddle-shifting still uses an automatic transmission (in our case). Some cars have double-clutch manual gearboxes, which behave like an automatic, but there's no torque converter. They can switch between gears even faster than our quick-shifting automatic.
Here's some gory details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

@Unhinged will explain why gasoline torque and diesel torque are specified differently - since I have no idea!

Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by amr42
Here's some gory details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

@Unhinged will explain why gasoline torque and diesel torque are specified differently - since I have no idea!
I am not certain, but I suspect that it is because gasoline engines can develop torque more readily on demand and can "shock load" the tranny. Diesel engines on the other hand, have greater mass (per unit of displacement) and take longer to develop full torque (a more gentle application of full torque). This is just a WAG.

Since "shock loading" is the bane of MTs, the F-Type has both a dual mass clutch and a clutch delay valve.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by amr42
Torque converter functionality is vastly different between gas and diesel vehicles and that has a huge impact on how torque is transferred to the transmission.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
When you drive a car with manual gearbox you have to be constantly aware of what is happening to your car. This awareness makes you a better driver.
I agree that it's beneficial for newbies to spend some time with a MT to up their skill level......I'm not a newbie and have no need of further "awareness". ;-)

Dave

Old 03-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I agree that it's beneficial for newbies to spend some time with a MT to up their skill level......I'm not a newbie and have no need of further "awareness". ;-)

Dave
I agree...decades of "awareness".. like I said before...I'm so done with manual shifting. Maybe if your just a weekend driver on country roads..but for a daily city/country driver?....done.
CRS

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (03-24-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Until the F Type it was either manuals or dual clutch transmissions for me. This auto is damn good.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays
Until the F Type it was either manuals or dual clutch transmissions for me. This auto is damn good.
+1. I could have written exactly the same.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I've been happy with paddle shift autos in my Jags (had a manual s60R, that was sweet) but everything about the V6S screams that it would be more suited to a manual. I didnt get that feeling in either v8 XF (actually unsuited to a manual I think) or the XE (same) or the XKR (a possibility but naah) all of which had the 6 speed ZF, but the F Type has a lightness and nimbleness about it (for want of better expressions) that make me pine for the third pedal.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I've been happy with paddle shift autos in my Jags (had a manual s60R, that was sweet) but everything about the V6S screams that it would be more suited to a manual. I didnt get that feeling in either v8 XF (actually unsuited to a manual I think) or the XE (same) or the XKR (a possibility but naah) all of which had the 6 speed ZF, but the F Type has a lightness and nimbleness about it (for want of better expressions) that make me pine for the third pedal.
I'm with you Bruce.
When I bought my XFS in Sept 2013 it was the first auto trans car I had ever owned, after nearly 40 years of nothing but manual trans cars. Then 18 months later I moved on to the XFR. Both 6 speed ZF autos, really good gearbox and no complaints, especially when driving in peak hour stop go traffic.
But then I hankered after a manual F-Type coupe, but very few and far between here in Oz, especially in the S version.
Then a bargain F-Type S coupe auto popped up so I bought it.
The 8 speed ZF is really good, but a part of me still hankers after the involvement, precision, pleasure and immediacy of a manual shift.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Feeling like chiming in on this touchy subject.

Have 135 miles on my manual f type.

The reason I bought this car was because it offered a manual transmission. My left foot was getting too week, wanted it not to fall asleep every day. Some entertainment in LA traffic is super necessary.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by 818
Feeling like chiming in on this touchy subject.

Have 135 miles on my manual f type.

The reason I bought this car was because it offered a manual transmission. My left foot was getting too week, wanted it not to fall asleep every day. Some entertainment in LA traffic is super necessary.
I have 23K miles in 1.5 years. Everyone I talk to complains about manual transmission in traffic. I've never understood that, but I've never driven anything but a manual. When I've had rental cars for work, I almost want to drive into a bridge embankment just to feel like something is happening. Automatic transmission in traffic is the most singular dull and infuriating experience in human history. If you're not doing anything, all you have time for is to wonder why the hell you are there.

Let me be the first to chime in on the wrong thread and suggest I am baffled by we dinosaurs and our disconnect with the civilized modern world.

Maybe I'm just happily settled in my bubble of the past. As William Gibson said... "The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed". =) I will hide in a pocket of the past.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

I will hide in a pocket of the past.

I'm quite happy to stay there with you.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Everyone I talk to complains about manual transmission in traffic. I've never understood that, but I've never driven anything but a manual.

....then the reason for your bafflement should be fairly obvious! LOL. I'm not an anti-manual guy and I've owned dozens of them and still do.......and there are times I prefer them.....but bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic is NOT one of those times. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt and I'm not doing it again.....at least not for hours in a city of over a million people (my current DD is a 6spd but now I live in an area of 200,000 people which is a little more manageable)

Cheers,
Dave

Old 03-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Home town: DC Metro Area. 6 million pop., worst traffic in the U.S. (USA Today).

It has never occurred to me that a manual transmission is fatiguing or bothersome. In fact, it keeps me awake and alert in boring traffic. Some people are just wired differently. Vive la difference!

Uncle Fishbits (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm with Unhinged. I drove a manual in DC area parking lots until about 4 years ago when I got an SLK. Not available with a manual. That was my second sports car. Before the SLK my DD was an MR2, 5 spd. Just over a year ago I traded the SLK for the FT. Again, not available with a manual (at least not with the V8). It it were, I would have jumped on it. My Taco which I drive on weekends or when it snows is a manual. Searched pretty hard for it.

818 (03-24-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Home town: DC Metro Area. 6 million pop., worst traffic in the U.S. (USA Today).

It has never occurred to me that a manual transmission is fatiguing or bothersome. In fact, it keeps me awake and alert in boring traffic. Some people are just wired differently. Vive la difference!
And he speaks French.

I'm going to reach out next time I visit the inlaws in Northern VA and DC. Any reason to get you into the traffics. =)

Old 03-22-2017, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

And he speaks French.

I'm going to reach out next time I visit the inlaws in Northern VA and DC. Any reason to get you into the traffics. =)
Do so. Lot's of great twisties beyond the beltway to explore.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

It seems pretty clear to me that all you MT traffic guys are just better at multi-tasking than me. No way can I talk, text and surf the f-type forum while driving a MT.

yes.. I'm kidding.. not endangering the world for a text.

Last edited by DirtyAir; 03-22-2017 at 02:25 PM.
818 (03-24-2017)