F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car was broken in to

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:52 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
Thumbs down Car was broken in to

I guess it was was bound to happen sooner or later with parking on the street in what is still somewhat of a transitional neighborhood in Philly.

Passenger window was broken to gain access to the car, some papers were tossed around and they stole like a $5 tire pressure gauge, but they left all the quarters I had in the center console.

I iust received the damage estimate from the insurance adjuster.

Almost $7k in repairs resulting from the incident. 6-8 weeks to get in some of the parts.

The car will be going in to storage until my new house is completed. No more street parking for me.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Sucks. I hate thieves....

Dave

Old 08-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that. Sucks that you work hard for your toys and some scumbag wants to come and destroy it for you. I wish there was some kind of camera/sensor system that alerted you directly to your phone of motion, hit to the car, breaks in etc. I would be their first customer. Hope all works well for you.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear that my girlfriends daughter goes to Drexel lives downtown, has had her share of problems.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Sorry to hear that! I park in a transitional neighborhood too and I know it's going to happen to me one day. What did they do that caused $7k worth of damage?!

Old 08-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it sucks some ppl are just terrible I had to rent a garage due to a similar problem. If you can find a cheap mechanic that works on foreign cars that would be your best bet. You might cut cost of repair by a half or more.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:38 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
I guess it was was bound to happen sooner or later with parking on the street in what is still somewhat of a transitional neighborhood in Philly.

Passenger window was broken to gain access to the car, some papers were tossed around and they stole like a $5 tire pressure gauge, but they left all the quarters I had in the center console.

I iust received the damage estimate from the insurance adjuster.

Almost $7k in repairs resulting from the incident. 6-8 weeks to get in some of the parts.

The car will be going in to storage until my new house is completed. No more street parking for me.

I know this is of little help after the fact, and frankly would not prevent the breaking of the window in any regard, but have you been double locking your car... see other thread. Double Locking sounds the alarm the moment a window is broken or there is motion inside the vehicle. Could minimize some real valuables from being lifted from inside or some other costly interior damage...

Old 08-26-2016, 01:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MiamiFtype
Sorry to hear that. Sucks that you work hard for your toys and some scumbag wants to come and destroy it for you. I wish there was some kind of camera/sensor system that alerted you directly to your phone of motion, hit to the car, breaks in etc. I would be their first customer. Hope all works well for you.
Some dash cameras have a parking mode and a battery back up so they can function when the car is parked (and a flashing light so they may deter some thieves). Unfortunately capturing an image of the act may not result in an arrest but if a thief isn't reckless, they might think twice about breaking into your car. The crook may also steal the dash cam. I don't know of a dash cam that sends messages and video to you or the cloud without a phone doing the transmission. I use blackvue (it has park mode, a WIFI to my phone...but not it doesn't send automatically to the cloud). They have both forward and back recording models.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, sorry to hear about what happened, ShaunPA. That stinks. One of my cars was scratched really badly a few months back. Really pissed me off. It was my pristine track car. I ended up buying a relatively expensive, multi-layered car cover with a lock. I think people are less inclined to damage or break into a car if it's covered.

I live in a pretty nice area of town in a gated community. Unfortunately, break ins can happen anywhere.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

had to be more than a busted window.

what else happened to your car?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:42 PM

Interior door panel replace due to a heavy gash in the leather.
Bottom seat cover replace has glass in it that Punctured the leather
Side skirt to be replaced painted. Looks like they stepped on it for leverage.
All of moldings around the window are being replaced.

The leather pieces are made to order so 6-8 week wait on those.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Interior door panel replace due to a heavy gash in the leather.
Bottom seat cover replace has glass in it that Punctured the leather
Side skirt to be replaced painted. Looks like they stepped on it for leverage.
All of moldings around the window are being replaced.

The leather pieces are made to order so 6-8 week wait on those.
Damn, sorry to hear that. Do our cars have sensors to detect glass break? did the oem alarm even go off?

Old 08-26-2016, 03:09 PM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Sorry to read Shaun. What a hassle!
And we were just recently talking about being worried with door/bumper dings being parked in Philly, not break-ins!

Is West Chester doing the repairs?

Old 08-26-2016, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kief
Sorry to read Shaun. What a hassle!
And we were just recently talking about being worried with door/bumper dings being parked in Philly, not break-ins!

Is West Chester doing the repairs?
yea. West Chester is handling the repairs.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:16 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

This sort of make me regret my order for convertible in San Francisco. I do have a underground secure garage, but I do go out here and there and park on the street. I hope your repairs and everything goes smoothly. I hate thieves.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

yea. West Chester is handling the repairs.
Sorry to learn this Shaun. Sucks. Unfortunately it can happen almost anywhere these days. The thing that almost bugs me more than the damage and the sense of violation is being deprived of the joy of driving it while awaiting repairs. Punishment for that offense alone I my mind justifies unusual punishment of the a holes that dos it.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Sorry to learn this Shaun. Sucks. Unfortunately it can happen almost anywhere these days. The thing that almost bugs me more than the damage and the sense of violation is being deprived of the joy of driving it while awaiting repairs. Punishment for that offense alone I my mind justifies unusual punishment of the a holes that dos it.
I've had two break ins (not to my Jag) and both times there was blood left due to my side windows being tinted. The thieves while wrestling with the glass stuck to it cut themselves.

In both instances the thieves were caught. Makes me happy to know they will receive some type of punishment. But doesn't make up for the time, effort and money spent to get the car back right.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
. Double Locking sounds the alarm the moment a window is broken or there is motion inside the vehicle.
Just confirmed tonight. Double locking does nothing to detect interior motion on the '16s. I hope you are right about the glass breakage.

Shaun, so sorry to hear of your misfortune!

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-26-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh that sucks, sorry to hear. At least you have insurance and didn't lose anything irreplaceable, but still can be unsettling.

I had a similar incident years ago near the East Falls section of Philly. Moved out of the city a long time ago.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah man, so sorry to hear that Shaun!! I know you felt safe in your small enclave due to the other cars parked there; guess our cars just draw much more attention. Hopefully the leather work doesn't take the full estimate of time.

Quick Reply: Car was broken in to